FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Ed Miller
 
Default Gutsy will not recognize dvdr

Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 19:32:38 -0500
> Frank McCormick <fmccormick@videotron.ca> wrote:
>
>
>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>> Hash: SHA1
>>
>> On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 16:14:30 -0800
>> NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>>
>>> On 11/17/2007 03:54 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:
>>>
>>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1
>>>>
>>>> On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 15:08:38 -0800 NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
> [snip]
>
>>> As a BTW: sudo modprobe on my systems returns:
>>>
>>> $ sudo modprobe pixx
>>> FATAL: Module pixx not found.
>>>
>
> I could be misunderstanding something, but the modules below all have
>
> piix
>
> not
>
> pixx
>
>
>>> yet:
>>>
>>> ~$ modprobe -l *piix*
>>> /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-386/kernel/drivers/ata/pata_mpiix.ko
>>> /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-386/kernel/drivers/ata/pata_oldpiix.ko
>>> /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-386/kernel/drivers/ata/ata_piix.ko
>>> /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-386/kernel/drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-piix4.ko
>>>
>> You are running a different Kernel. For some reason you don't have the pixx
>> module ???
>>
>>
>
> Were you not discussing the " piix" module, not the "pixx" module?
>
>
Yes it was a spelling mistake
FATAL: Module piix not found
Ed

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-18-2007, 09:48 PM
NoOp
 
Default Gutsy will not recognize dvdr

On 11/17/2007 06:46 PM, Ed Miller wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 11/17/2007 04:37 PM, Ed Miller wrote:
>>
>>
>>> *-cdrom
>>> description: DVD writer
>>> product: DVD Writer 740e
>>> vendor: HP
>>> physical id: 0.0.0
>>> bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
>>> logical name: /dev/cdrom1
>>> logical name: /dev/dvd1
>>> logical name: /dev/scd0
>>> logical name: /dev/sr0
>>> version: 42FF
>>> serial: [HP DVD Writer 740e 42FF05/07/26CNMD3905
>>> capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r
>>> configuration: status=ready
>>> *-disc
>>> physical id: 0
>>> logical name: /dev/cdrom1
>>> I will wait until you reply, if someone else is having this problem this
>>> could result in a fix. By the way, removing the quiet splash entry from
>>> menu.lst made startup much faster.
>>>
>>> Ed
>>>
>>>
>>
>> It's a USB drive, it's available on /dev/cdrom1 & responding properly.
>>
>> You can create a mount point for it in fstab. Check to see if you have a
>> /media/cdrom1 via Nautilus.
>>
>>
>>
> This is the problem, that one is the usb drive which will not work
> either. There is another cdrom in the list which is my internel dvd
> which is /dev/hdc but it will not read the media no matter what i use. I
> can reboot the lap-top and it will load the live ubuntu but when i
> reboot without the live cd, ubuntu will not recognize the drive. For now
> I am without cdrom support for either drive as ubuntu will not read
> either one. I read somewhere that this is an issue with Gutsy because
> the piix driver has been deprecated. It can be resolved if I can find
> that driver and install it into the ide folder i would think.
>
> Ed
>
>

Maybe it is time for a reinstall.

Odd, I've reinstalled Ubuntu more in the past 18 months than in all the
years that I used Windows (DOS to WinXPP). Then again I was/am
sufficiently knowledgeable at troubleshooting just about anything on the
older Win systems. I figure it will take me another few years before I
get as proficient in doing the same on linux...


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-18-2007, 11:03 PM
James Takac
 
Default Gutsy will not recognize dvdr

On Sunday 18 November 2007 10:37:14 Ed Miller wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
> > On 11/17/2007 03:51 PM, Ed Miller wrote:
> >> I am going to try a re-install of Ubuntu, I believe something has not
> >> been installed properly. I tried installing each of the different piix
> >> files and updating the kernel and then removing the piix files. But it
> >> didn't work. Plus my laptop takes about 5 minutes to reboot and it never
> >> did that with the original install of Gutsy.
> >>
> >> Ed
> >
> > Before you do, can you post the output of:
> >
> > $ sudo lshw -C disk
>
> Here is the output of:
> sudo lshw -C disk
> *-disk:0
> description: ATA Disk
> product: ST9100822A
> vendor: Seagate
> physical id: 0
> bus info: ide@0.0
> logical name: /dev/hda
> version: 3.02
> serial: 3LG1MG8P
> size: 93GB
> capacity: 93GB
> capabilities: ata dma lba iordy smart security pm apm partitioned
> partitioned:dos
> configuration: apm=off mode=udma5 smart=on
> *-disk:1
> description: ATA Disk
> product: ST9100822A
> vendor: Seagate
> physical id: 1
> bus info: ide@0.1
> logical name: /dev/hdb
> version: 3.02
> serial: 3LG1N9BB
> size: 93GB
> capacity: 93GB
> capabilities: ata dma lba iordy smart security pm apm partitioned
> partitioned:dos
> configuration: apm=off mode=udma5 smart=on
> *-cdrom
> description: DVD writer
> product: TSSTcorpCD/DVDW TS-L532M
> physical id: 0
> bus info: ide@1.0
> logical name: /dev/hdc
> version: HR08
> serial: Y548409387
> capabilities: packet atapi cdrom removable nonmagnetic dma lba
> iordy pm audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r
> configuration: status=nodisc
> *-disk
> description: SCSI Disk
> product: 0UE-00HCT0
> vendor: WDC WD40
> physical id: 0.0.0
> bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
> logical name: /dev/sda
> version: 0000
> serial: W -D
> size: 37GB
> capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
> *-cdrom
> description: DVD writer
> product: DVD Writer 740e
> vendor: HP
> physical id: 0.0.0
> bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
> logical name: /dev/cdrom1
> logical name: /dev/dvd1
> logical name: /dev/scd0
> logical name: /dev/sr0
> version: 42FF
> serial: [HP DVD Writer 740e 42FF05/07/26CNMD3905
> capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r
> configuration: status=ready
> *-disc
> physical id: 0
> logical name: /dev/cdrom1
> I will wait until you reply, if someone else is having this problem this
> could result in a fix. By the way, removing the quiet splash entry from
> menu.lst made startup much faster.
>
> Ed

Hi Ed

Do you per chance have udftools and/or dvdrtools installed?

Also did a quick google since your output gives us a drive model to go by for

ubuntu TSSTcorpCD/DVDW TS-L532M
and ubuntu gutsy TSSTcorpCD/DVDW TS-L532M

Seems there are a few issues with this drive and ubuntu. Maybe one of the
links will be of help on google re this?

James

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-18-2007, 11:09 PM
James Takac
 
Default Gutsy will not recognize dvdr

On Sunday 18 November 2007 11:25:53 Anthony M. Rasat wrote:
> I assume your DVDR is an "usual" ATAPI (I mean with big 40-pin data cable,
> UDMA/33 and so on), can you gave us the result of following command (from
> command prompt or terminal):
>
> dmesg | grep ata
>
> That command will give us a quick look on what hardware you have according
> to linux kernel, focusing on ata.
>
> For example, in my kubuntu 7.04 box, that command will gave (not all lines
> revealed here):
>
> ata1.00: ATA-7: MAXTOR 2F030J0, VAM51JJ0, max UDMA/133
> ata1.00: 60058656 sectors, multi 16: LBA
> ata2.00: ATAPI, max UDMA/33
> ata2.00: configured for UDMA/33
>
> See? Linux identified my CDRW (err, I know it is not DVDR, not with a thick
> wallet here heheh) as ata2. Now let us see yours.
>
> Regards,
>
> Anthony M. Rasat
> IT*Department
> Kaltim Post Group
> Balikpapan - Indonesia.-
>
> ------- Original message -------
> From: Ed Miller <miller07@suddenlink.net>
> Sent: 17.11.'07, 16:34
>
> > I reinstalled gutsy to make using my extra hard drive easier. I used my
> > dvd to install it. Now I am trying to use the dvd player to install
> > build-essentials but can't get Gutsy to recognize the dvd. It's not just
> > that dvd, it is any disc i put in the drive. I have also tried to get it
> > to recognize my external drive to no avail. Both of these drives worked
> > flawlessly with the old install. Any suggestions?
> >
> > Ed
> >
> > --
> > ubuntu-users mailing list
> > ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> > Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> > https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



Hi Anthony

My googling this device seems to indicate it's a lightscribe drive if that's
of any help

James

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-18-2007, 11:14 PM
James Takac
 
Default Gutsy will not recognize dvdr

On Sunday 18 November 2007 12:46:35 Ed Miller wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
> > On 11/17/2007 04:37 PM, Ed Miller wrote:
> >> *-cdrom
> >> description: DVD writer
> >> product: DVD Writer 740e
> >> vendor: HP
> >> physical id: 0.0.0
> >> bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
> >> logical name: /dev/cdrom1
> >> logical name: /dev/dvd1
> >> logical name: /dev/scd0
> >> logical name: /dev/sr0
> >> version: 42FF
> >> serial: [HP DVD Writer 740e 42FF05/07/26CNMD3905
> >> capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r
> >> configuration: status=ready
> >> *-disc
> >> physical id: 0
> >> logical name: /dev/cdrom1
> >> I will wait until you reply, if someone else is having this problem this
> >> could result in a fix. By the way, removing the quiet splash entry from
> >> menu.lst made startup much faster.
> >>
> >> Ed
> >
> > It's a USB drive, it's available on /dev/cdrom1 & responding properly.
> >
> > You can create a mount point for it in fstab. Check to see if you have a
> > /media/cdrom1 via Nautilus.
>
> This is the problem, that one is the usb drive which will not work
> either. There is another cdrom in the list which is my internel dvd
> which is /dev/hdc but it will not read the media no matter what i use. I
> can reboot the lap-top and it will load the live ubuntu but when i
> reboot without the live cd, ubuntu will not recognize the drive. For now
> I am without cdrom support for either drive as ubuntu will not read
> either one. I read somewhere that this is an issue with Gutsy because
> the piix driver has been deprecated. It can be resolved if I can find
> that driver and install it into the ide folder i would think.
>
> Ed


Hi Ed

Just had a thought. Does the live cd detect that drive when it's running? If
so, may be worth while looking at how it's mapping/allocating the drives and
you might see what driver is in use at that point as well. Maybe will give
some ideas, maybe not.

James

--
Let him who would move the world first move himself.

Socrates

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-18-2007, 11:37 PM
James Takac
 
Default Gutsy will not recognize dvdr

On Sunday 18 November 2007 20:49:44 Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 19:32:38 -0500
>
> Frank McCormick <fmccormick@videotron.ca> wrote:
> > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> > Hash: SHA1
> >
> > On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 16:14:30 -0800
> >
> > NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > > On 11/17/2007 03:54 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:
> > > > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1
> > > >
> > > > On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 15:08:38 -0800 NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > > As a BTW: sudo modprobe on my systems returns:
> > >
> > > $ sudo modprobe pixx
> > > FATAL: Module pixx not found.
>
> I could be misunderstanding something, but the modules below all have
>
> piix
>
> not
>
> pixx
>
> > > yet:
> > >
> > > ~$ modprobe -l *piix*
> > > /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-386/kernel/drivers/ata/pata_mpiix.ko
> > > /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-386/kernel/drivers/ata/pata_oldpiix.ko
> > > /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-386/kernel/drivers/ata/ata_piix.ko
> > > /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-386/kernel/drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-piix4.ko
> >
> > You are running a different Kernel. For some reason you don't have the
> > pixx module ???
>
> Were you not discussing the " piix" module, not the "pixx" module?
>
> --
> "INX Is Not X" based on Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD: http://inx.maincontent.net
> Screenshots slideshow: http://inx.maincontent.net/album/1.png.html


Hi Peter

Seems you picked up on that which the rest of us missed. should be "sudo
modprobe piix" not "sudo modprobe pixx"

Maybe retrying with correct spelling?

James

PS
always good to have many sets of eyes looking at it

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-18-2007, 11:44 PM
James Takac
 
Default Gutsy will not recognize dvdr

On Monday 19 November 2007 08:48:05 NoOp wrote:
> On 11/17/2007 06:46 PM, Ed Miller wrote:
> > NoOp wrote:
> >> On 11/17/2007 04:37 PM, Ed Miller wrote:
> >>> *-cdrom
> >>> description: DVD writer
> >>> product: DVD Writer 740e
> >>> vendor: HP
> >>> physical id: 0.0.0
> >>> bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
> >>> logical name: /dev/cdrom1
> >>> logical name: /dev/dvd1
> >>> logical name: /dev/scd0
> >>> logical name: /dev/sr0
> >>> version: 42FF
> >>> serial: [HP DVD Writer 740e 42FF05/07/26CNMD3905
> >>> capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r
> >>> configuration: status=ready
> >>> *-disc
> >>> physical id: 0
> >>> logical name: /dev/cdrom1
> >>> I will wait until you reply, if someone else is having this problem
> >>> this could result in a fix. By the way, removing the quiet splash entry
> >>> from menu.lst made startup much faster.
> >>>
> >>> Ed
> >>
> >> It's a USB drive, it's available on /dev/cdrom1 & responding properly.
> >>
> >> You can create a mount point for it in fstab. Check to see if you have a
> >> /media/cdrom1 via Nautilus.
> >
> > This is the problem, that one is the usb drive which will not work
> > either. There is another cdrom in the list which is my internel dvd
> > which is /dev/hdc but it will not read the media no matter what i use. I
> > can reboot the lap-top and it will load the live ubuntu but when i
> > reboot without the live cd, ubuntu will not recognize the drive. For now
> > I am without cdrom support for either drive as ubuntu will not read
> > either one. I read somewhere that this is an issue with Gutsy because
> > the piix driver has been deprecated. It can be resolved if I can find
> > that driver and install it into the ide folder i would think.
> >
> > Ed
>
> Maybe it is time for a reinstall.
>
> Odd, I've reinstalled Ubuntu more in the past 18 months than in all the
> years that I used Windows (DOS to WinXPP). Then again I was/am
> sufficiently knowledgeable at troubleshooting just about anything on the
> older Win systems. I figure it will take me another few years before I
> get as proficient in doing the same on linux...


Hi NoOp

Know what you mean. Same boat myself. All part of the learning curve I guess
which aint all that bad

James

--
Let him who would move the world first move himself.

Socrates

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:09 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org