Old 02-23-2009, 05:12 PM
"Jason Crain"

Default HELP: Dropping to a shell! after copy Wubi installation onto another PC

On Mon, February 23, 2009 11:12 am, Yi Tan wrote:
> I copy that Wubi installation onto my home PC(PC2). I've also
> copied wubildr, wubildr.mbr and modified windows's boot.ini
>
> Then I turn on PC2. I can select boot ubuntu. And then see the ubuntu logo
> with loading bar for a moment.
>
> And it ends up in following failure:
>
> Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
> ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/7Axxxxxxxxxx does not exist. Dropping to a shell!
>
> ---------------------------
>
> I don't know much about linux. It seems like the copied-version ubuntu
> can't
> get the hard disk to work.
>
> Is there any easy way to make it works? Because I have got all software,
> environment setup in that wubi installation. Really don't want a fresh
> installation with time consuming software setup.

You will need to edit the file /etc/fstab and change the 'UUID=XXX' lines
to show the correct uuids. You can find the UUIDs of your system by using
'sudo blkid'.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:44 AM
Yi Tan

Sorted out!

I found out that you can use LABEL instead of UUID in the configuration file.

So, in windows, I set a Label to that hard disk, and then altered the configuration file accordingly.

Regards,

ty