Old 02-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Default Why do people detest top posting so much?

Odzangba K. Dake wrote:
> Ok, I just have to ask... what is so wrong with it.

Because it answers questions before they are asked.
> Why is top posting bad?

Matt Flaschen

Old 02-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Thomas Wolf

On 02/23/2009 09:34 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> It's telling that two of the three people in the thread, so far, who think
> that top-posting makes sense, posted in html.

*flame on*

What exactly is your problem Derek? Telling people they should be shot
for sending HTML-only mail or saying that it's "telling" that
top-posters post in HTML. Get off your high-horse! The fact that I
prefer top-posting and don't double-check whether my email client does
as I have instructed it to, tells you #$%t about me.

Mistakes happen - get over it! No need to be insulting.

*flame off*

tom

Old 02-23-2009, 02:44 PM
"Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)"

Odzangba K. Dake wrote:
> Ok, I just have to ask...

The other reason is the attention you give to your audience: Top posting
is mostly about "one time swaaaaapping" all what has been written with
no more attention and writing what you want. Not a good behaviour. There
should be some efforts made to layout the message in order to make it
beautifull and showing you are carrying about your audience.
Remember that when asking/discussing for help, people answer with the
same effort you made to discuss...

--
Chef de projet chez Vectoris
http://www.google.com/search?q=mihamina+rakotomandimby

Old 02-23-2009, 02:45 PM
"Odzangba K. Dake"

On Monday 23 February 2009 13:54:05 Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> Odzangba K. Dake wrote:

> > Ok, I just have to ask... what is so wrong with it. I admit that I prefer

> > bottom posting because, well, it makes reading easier but quite a few

> > people on this list (and on others) actively detest it and quite often

> > snap at you if you bottom post. What's the deal here?

> > --

> > Odzangba

> I have seen no-one even comment on bottom replies. That is what your

> asked to do. It is the top posters that get asked to do bottom posting.

Like I said earlier I meant "snap at you if you don't bottom post"

--

Odzangba

Old 02-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Thomas Wolf wrote:

> On 02/23/2009 09:34 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> It's telling that two of the three people in the thread, so far, who think
>> that top-posting makes sense, posted in html.
>>
> *flame on*
>
> What exactly is your problem Derek? Telling people they should be shot
> for sending HTML-only mail or saying that it's "telling" that
> top-posters post in HTML. Get off your high-horse! The fact that I
> prefer top-posting and don't double-check whether my email client does
> as I have instructed it to, tells you #$%t about me.
>
> Mistakes happen - get over it! No need to be insulting.

Well...while I would remind people that many believe extremists should
be shot, the "telling" part is more or less noticing a potential
trend...I'm just pointing out that there is a potentially valid
observation mixed in with the pointed jab, that's all.

I'm not a psychologist or sociologist or a mathematician and haven't
taken those courses since college, so take it with a grain of salt.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Pete Clapham

Derek Broughton wrote:

Odzangba K. Dake wrote:

Ok, I just have to ask... what is so wrong with it. I admit that I prefer
bottom posting because, well, it makes reading easier but quite a few
people on this list (and on others) actively detest it and quite often
snap at you if you bottom post.

"Bottom post"? Surely you meant "top-post". I've never seen anybody
snapped at for bottom-posting itself, though you might get a testy response
if you quote 200 lines to add a line at the bottom that says "me too!".
More likely nobody will actually read the post...

What's the deal here?

As my standard response says:

"Please don't top-post. It makes it hard to have a conversation".

Conversations are "he said... she said...". Reversing it confuses people.

May I humbly point out that
if you're actually following the conversation, you've read the previous
messages.* Bottom posting forces you to go through all that again until
you find the answer you're interested in.* Top posting makes it easier
to continue a conversation.

May I also humbly point out that each listserve has its own customs.* Every
other listserve that I am involved in prefers to top-post because it
makes communication easier.* If this one prefers bottom posting, then
fine.* But to suggest that top-posting is somehow bad and snapping at
people for it is, shall we say, inappropriate at best.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Pete Clapham wrote:
> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Odzangba K. Dake wrote:
>>

>>> Ok, I just have to ask... what is so wrong with it. I admit that I
>>> prefer
>>> bottom posting because, well, it makes reading easier but quite a few
>>> people on this list (and on others) actively detest it and quite often
>>> snap at you if you bottom post.
>>>

>> "Bottom post"? Surely you meant "top-post". I've never seen anybody
>> snapped at for bottom-posting itself, though you might get a testy
>> response
>> if you quote 200 lines to add a line at the bottom that says "me
>> too!". More likely nobody will actually read the post...
>>

>>> What's the deal here?
>>
>> As my standard response says:
>>
>> "Please don't top-post. It makes it hard to have a conversation".
>>
>> Conversations are "he said... she said...". Reversing it confuses
>> people.
>>
> May I humbly point out that if you're actually following the
> conversation, you've read the previous messages.

I'd humbly point out that even following the conversation, reading a
message in the morning and then reading more at night means I often
don't recall what was being said, and I'm sure that there are plenty of
others that have better or more pressing things to remember than the
history of someone else's free trouble tickets on a list serve.

>Bottom posting forces
> you to go through all that again until you find the answer you're
> interested in. Top posting makes it easier to continue a conversation.

A) WHY KEEP THE OLD MATERIAL THEN IF YOU'VE MEMORIZE THE WHOLE THING?
B) Archives for reference, or your own systems INDEXED FOR SEARCH trash
and sent items.
C) *inline* posting. Not bottom post, unless *composing* a message
dictates that it makes your intentions and message CLEAR.

> May I also humbly point out that each listserve has its own customs.
> /Every/ other listserve that I am involved in prefers to top-post
> because it makes communication easier.

Easier to hand out a brain belch. Too lazy to properly format a message,
too properly to actually compose a message to others...top posting is
the older generation's equivalent to txtspeak. "easier" means "I don't
have to trim the post or actually put thought into what I'm trying to say."

>If this one prefers bottom
> posting, then fine. But to suggest that top-posting is somehow bad and
> snapping at people for it is, shall we say, inappropriate at best.

Telling them they should be shot instead of just filtering their
messages is inappropriate. But it is definitely bad for people who spend
a lot of time reading and not trying to decode and sift through crud.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:05 PM
"Christopher A. Williams"

On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 15:45 +0000, Odzangba K. Dake wrote:
> On Monday 23 February 2009 13:54:05 Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> > Odzangba K. Dake wrote:
> > > Ok, I just have to ask... what is so wrong with it. I admit that I
> prefer
> > > bottom posting because, well, it makes reading easier but quite a
> few
> > > people on this list (and on others) actively detest it and quite
> often
> > > snap at you if you bottom post. What's the deal here?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Odzangba
> >
> > I have seen no-one even comment on bottom replies. That is what your
> > asked to do. It is the top posters that get asked to do bottom
> posting.

Here's an excellent summary from another list by Frank Cox on the
rational of top vs. bottom posting. Perhaps this will help clarify the
"why" behind all of this:

Top posting is generally used in direct business or personal
correspondence. I send you a message, you put your reply on top
of that and send it back to me. The theory is that you and I
already know what we're talking about.

In newsgroup and mailing list postings, on the other hand, the
convention is to put your reply at the bottom or in-line with
the original message, and the original message is ideally
trimmed to the minimum required to keep the flow of the
"conversation" going. The idea here is that posts are intended
to be read and comprehended by people other than the ones who
are directly involved in the exchange. Accordingly, it makes the
most sense to create a message that can be read from the top to
the bottom in chronological order.

Cheers,

Chris

--
==============================
"If you are calm while all around you is chaos,

--Unknown

Old 02-23-2009, 03:19 PM

LOL Bart. Being an old timer ( newsgroup wise ), I thought I would
throw something in here. I am waiting for some stuff to run so I have a
few cycles to waste.

Bottom-posting is actually a creation of us old fart newsgroup readers.
I never liked it and never will, but I do it to keep the posting police
happy, although just saying that will get me in hot water. In a pure
email environment, which this clearly is not, top-posting is the rule.
In the corporate email world, most scan for important stuff from
important people then go through the rest, from oldest to newest, making
the top-post easier to read and follow. I see, but a bare handful of
folks who do bottom-posting in emails.

> "I don't
> have to trim the post or actually put thought into what I'm
> trying to say."

Bottom-posters are just as bad. ...two thousand lines of test... "Me
too!" Ugh!

As the kids say, "I'm just saying".

product doctrine and thus protected from disclosure. If the reader
copies and backups thereof. Thank you.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Knapp

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Derek Broughton <derek@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Odzangba K. Dake wrote:
>
>> Ok, I just have to ask... what is so wrong with it. I admit that I prefer
>> bottom posting because, well, it makes reading easier but quite a few
>> people on this list (and on others) actively detest it and quite often
>> snap at you if you bottom post.
>
> "Bottom post"? Surely you meant "top-post". I've never seen anybody
> snapped at for bottom-posting itself, though you might get a testy response
> if you quote 200 lines to add a line at the bottom that says "me too!".
> More likely nobody will actually read the post...
>
>> What's the deal here?
>
> As my standard response says:
>
> "Please don't top-post. It makes it hard to have a conversation".
>
> Conversations are "he said... she said...". Reversing it confuses people.
> --
> derek

I think that top posting would not work in a post like the one quoted
above. If you comment on every few lines like derek did but did it
with top posting you would have a REALLY hard time reading it.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Why do we live?