Old 02-27-2009, 06:34 AM
Ray Parrish

Default Why do people detest top posting so much?

Michael Haney wrote:
> Being new to the community of Linux users and having seen what people
> on the outside think of us I can sadly say that this sort of thing
> only serves to perpetuate the mystic people outside the Linux
> community believe. That mystic is that we're fanatical fanboys/girls
> with really short tempers who fly off on a hissy fit at the slightest
> provocation and have no tolerance for whatsoever for noobs. Indeed,
> there are people, even here, who are like that, but its not something
> that's exclusive to the Linux world. Being deeply involved in the
> anime community I can tell you there are people like that there also,
> but because there is so much animosity between diehard Windows and
> Linux supporters our community is put under the microscope so to speak
> more so than the anime community ever is. In other words, when a few
> bad apples cause trouble it makes all of us look bad.
>
> So bad attitudes towards people top posting rather than bottom posting
> or sarcastic replies to newbie questions or people who post in HTML
> only serves to prove what the Windows fanatics say about us.
Hello,

I'm just guessing here, but from what you've said it seems obvious that
you have never participated in the unmoderated Microsoft newsgroups on
the Microsoft news servers.

The groups there abound with the type of behavior you outline above, and
also add trolls who try to bait people into arguments as well. There are
also those who impersonate Microsoft MVPs, and attempt to get others to
download software from them that is probably infected. [one guy
consistently answers almost all questions with "try my fix such and such
program that will fix your problem", no matter what the such and such
problem was, and always gives the same url for the supposed "fix".] His
url always contains pcbutts as the domain 'though, so he's easy to spot
no matter what username he is currently posting under, which changes often.

Then there are the constant arguments between a couple of people who
keep accusing the other of abusing their reputation, or accusing the
other of impersonating Microsoft MVPs, the threads of which go on
forever, and have to be skipped to get anywhere in reading the groups.

I've found the Ubuntu User's group to be quite tame and well behaved in
comparison. 8-)

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com

Old 02-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Dotan Cohen

Because it messes up the order in which one naturally reads text.

> Why do people detest top posting so much?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 02-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Stephen

Hello

I'm new here and I'm new to ubuntu linux. I have been reading about top
and bottom posting and don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Would you clarify this for me?

Thanks in advance;
Stephen.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Dotan Cohen

2009/2/27 Stephen <stephen_o@rogers.com>:
> Hello
>
> I'm new here and I'm new to ubuntu linux. I have been reading about top
> and bottom posting and don't have a clue what you are talking about.
>
> Would you clarify this for me?

See how my reply is _below_ yours? That's bottom posting. Read this:
http://what-is-what.com/what_is/top_posting.html

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 02-27-2009, 05:39 PM
Brian Lunergan

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 13:19 -0500, Stephen wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm new here and I'm new to ubuntu linux. I have been reading about top
> and bottom posting and don't have a clue what you are talking about.
>
> Would you clarify this for me?
>
> Thanks in advance;
> Stephen.

<content snipped>

Short answer is that yours was top-posting. This response is bottom
posting.

--
Brian Lunergan
Nepean, Ontario

Old 02-28-2009, 07:21 AM
Stephen

Brian Lunergan wrote:

I'm new here and I'm new to ubuntu linux. I have been reading about top
and bottom posting and don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Would you clarify this for me?

Thanks in advance;
Stephen.

<content snipped>

Short answer is that yours was top-posting. This response is bottom
posting.

Thanks for the input. I decided to read the group rules and I read
something about bottom posting being preferred. I don't mind other
forms of posting, but I will comply.

Stephen