Old 02-23-2009, 12:45 PM
"Odzangba K. Dake"

Default Why do people detest top posting so much?

Ok, I just have to ask... what is so wrong with it. I admit that I prefer bottom posting because, well, it makes reading easier but quite a few people on this list (and on others) actively detest it and quite often snap at you if you bottom post. What's the deal here?

--

Odzangba

Old 02-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Norberto Bensa

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Odzangba K. Dake <odzangba@gmail.com> wrote:
> What's the deal here?

It break the natural flow of the conversation. Of couse people coming
from Outlook feels top posting is better; but they also think Windows
better than Linux, so....

Regards,
Norberto

Old 02-23-2009, 12:53 PM
m_epling

Odzangba K. Dake wrote:

Ok, I
just have to ask... what is so wrong with it. I admit that I prefer
bottom posting because, well, it makes reading easier but quite a few
people on this list (and on others) actively detest it and quite often
snap at you if you bottom post. What's the deal here?

--

Odzangba
same here i dont understand the big deal

Old 02-23-2009, 12:54 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Odzangba K. Dake wrote:
> Ok, I just have to ask... what is so wrong with it. I admit that I prefer
> bottom posting because, well, it makes reading easier but quite a few people
> on this list (and on others) actively detest it and quite often snap at you if
> you bottom post. What's the deal here?
>
> --
> Odzangba

I have seen no-one even comment on bottom replies. That is what your
asked to do. It is the top posters that get asked to do bottom posting.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Odzangba K. Dake wrote:
> Ok, I just have to ask... what is so wrong with it. I admit that I prefer
> bottom posting because, well, it makes reading easier but quite a few people
> on this list (and on others) actively detest it and quite often snap at you if
> you bottom post. What's the deal here?

You can probably search in the archive for the words "top posting" or
"top-posting" and find articles outlining why.

I'd get into it more but I just did...end of last week...with someone on
the list under a different heading, and if you ask questions like that
here you're going to get hit by people telling you to use the -chat or
-banter or whatever the non-tech list is, or you'll be hit with the FAQ
reference which tells you what you should do but I don't know if it
really delves into why.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:55 PM
"Flynn, Steve (L & P - IT)"

> Ok, I just have to ask... what is so wrong with it. I admit that I
prefer
> bottom posting because, well, it makes reading easier but quite a few
> people on this list (and on others) actively detest it and quite often
> snap at you if you bottom post. What's the deal here?

It encourages people to no trim redundant text from their posts. You
often end up with pages after page of disclaimers at the foot of the
post from corporate networks.

It's counter-intuitive to the normal reading method for the language
we're all posting in - I never read books from the bottom of the page
upwards for example.

You hit the nail on the head when you say "it makes reading easier"...
when you have a few hundred emails to read on a daily basis this becomes
important.

S.

This email and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee, are strictly confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient any reading, dissemination, copying or any other use or reliance is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately by email and then permanently delete the email. Copyright reserved.

All communications, incoming and outgoing, may be recorded and are monitored for legitimate business purposes.

The security and reliability of email transmission cannot be guaranteed. It is the recipient?s responsibility to scan this e-mail and any attachment for the presence of viruses.

The Capita Group plc and its subsidiaries ("Capita") exclude all liability for any loss or damage whatsoever arising or resulting from the receipt, use or transmission of this email.

Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the author only.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Loïc Grenié

2009/2/23 Odzangba K. Dake <odzangba@gmail.com>:
> Ok, I just have to ask... what is so wrong with it. I admit that I prefer
> bottom posting because, well, it makes reading easier but quite a few people
> on this list (and on others) actively detest it and quite often snap at you
> if you bottom post. What's the deal here?

I suspect you mean "top post".

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Top-posting

and note 11 in particular. Mostly: 1) it's backwards when
somebody else looks at the archives and 2) it forces
one that don't precisely remember the context to read
backwards. Usual example:

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Loïc

Old 02-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Thomas Wolf

On 02/23/2009 08:45 AM, Odzangba K. Dake wrote:

Ok, I
just have to ask... what is so wrong with it. I admit that I prefer
bottom posting because, well, it makes reading easier but quite a few
people on this list (and on others) actively detest it and quite often
snap at you if you bottom post. What's the deal here?

I'm the guy Bart had that conversation with last week :-)

I like top-posting better and find it easier to read.* But I agree that
the worst possible situation, in terms of readability, is to have a
thread that mixes top- and bottom-posting.* So one should adopt the
style preferred by the given mailing list - which is bottom-posting
here.

tom

Old 02-23-2009, 01:07 PM
"Odzangba K. Dake"

On Monday 23 February 2009 13:54:14 Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> Odzangba K. Dake wrote:

> > Ok, I just have to ask... what is so wrong with it. I admit that I prefer

> > bottom posting because, well, it makes reading easier but quite a few

> > people on this list (and on others) actively detest it and quite often

> > snap at you if you bottom post. What's the deal here?

> You can probably search in the archive for the words "top posting" or

> "top-posting" and find articles outlining why.

> I'd get into it more but I just did...end of last week...with someone on

> the list under a different heading, and if you ask questions like that

> here you're going to get hit by people telling you to use the -chat or

> -banter or whatever the non-tech list is, or you'll be hit with the FAQ

> reference which tells you what you should do but I don't know if it

> really delves into why.

Yeah, I probably should have put a bit more thought into it before I fired that email off. Forgot about the "not for general discussions" part. Just do not understand why top posting bothers people so much.

--

Odzangba

Old 02-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Odzangba K. Dake wrote:
> On Monday 23 February 2009 13:54:14 Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>> Odzangba K. Dake wrote:
>>> Ok, I just have to ask... what is so wrong with it. I admit that I prefer
>>> bottom posting because, well, it makes reading easier but quite a few
>>> people on this list (and on others) actively detest it and quite often
>>> snap at you if you bottom post. What's the deal here?
>> You can probably search in the archive for the words "top posting" or
>> "top-posting" and find articles outlining why.
>>
>> I'd get into it more but I just did...end of last week...with someone on
>> the list under a different heading, and if you ask questions like that
>> here you're going to get hit by people telling you to use the -chat or
>> -banter or whatever the non-tech list is, or you'll be hit with the FAQ
>> reference which tells you what you should do but I don't know if it
>> really delves into why.
>
> Yeah, I probably should have put a bit more thought into it before I fired that
> email off. Forgot about the "not for general discussions" part. Just do not
> understand why top posting bothers people so much.

Do the search in the archives and you'll probably find why :-)