Old 02-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Knapp

Default Crayon Physics for Linux?

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 11:17 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just discovered Crayon Physics, a program that lets one draw 2D
> objects on the screen and simulate how they would behave with uniform
> mass in a gravitational field (see Flash-based demo):
> http://www.crayonphysics.com/
>
> Does anyone know of a similar application for Linux?
>
> --
> Dotan Cohen

That is REALLY COOL! Closed thing that I know of like that is
Blender3d in game mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=314Xm4tQhls

But not any where rear as kid friendly!

--
Douglas E Knapp

Why do we live?

Old 02-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Dotan Cohen

> That is REALLY COOL! Closed thing that I know of like that is
> Blender3d in game mode.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=314Xm4tQhls
>
> But not any where rear as kid friendly!

It turns out that the FAQ promises Linux support once the Windows
version stabilizes! I've already emailed the dev expressing interest.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 02-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> That is REALLY COOL! Closed thing that I know of like that is
>> Blender3d in game mode.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=314Xm4tQhls
>>
>> But not any where rear as kid friendly!
>>

> It turns out that the FAQ promises Linux support once the Windows
> version stabilizes! I've already emailed the dev expressing interest.

And if there's anything we learned from Google Chrome that means never...

Matt Flaschen

Old 02-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Knapp

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Matthew Flaschen
<matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> That is REALLY COOL! Closed thing that I know of like that is
>>> Blender3d in game mode.
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=314Xm4tQhls
>>>
>>> But not any where rear as kid friendly!
>>>

>> It turns out that the FAQ promises Linux support once the Windows
>> version stabilizes! I've already emailed the dev expressing interest.
>
> And if there's anything we learned from Google Chrome that means never...
>
> Matt Flaschen

It all depends on what system or library he wrote it with.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Why do we live?

Old 02-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Michael Haney

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 5:17 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just discovered Crayon Physics, a program that lets one draw 2D
> objects on the screen and simulate how they would behave with uniform
> mass in a gravitational field (see Flash-based demo):
> http://www.crayonphysics.com/
>
> Does anyone know of a similar application for Linux?

There is Phun ...
http://www.phunland.com/wiki/Home

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com

Old 02-23-2009, 12:17 PM
James Takac

Hi Guys

On Monday 23 February 2009 20:59:28 Knapp wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 11:17 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I just discovered Crayon Physics, a program that lets one draw 2D
> > objects on the screen and simulate how they would behave with uniform
> > mass in a gravitational field (see Flash-based demo):
> > http://www.crayonphysics.com/
> >
> > Does anyone know of a similar application for Linux?
> >
> > --
> > Dotan Cohen
>
> That is REALLY COOL! Closed thing that I know of like that is
> Blender3d in game mode.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=314Xm4tQhls
>
> But not any where rear as kid friendly!
>
> --
> Douglas E Knapp
>
> Why do we live?

I'm taking it to be a windows program as I haven't followed the link. Have you
tried installing it under wine to see if it can handle it? May be worth a
shot

James

Old 02-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Bart Silverstrim

James Takac wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> On Monday 23 February 2009 20:59:28 Knapp wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 11:17 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I just discovered Crayon Physics, a program that lets one draw 2D
>>> objects on the screen and simulate how they would behave with uniform
>>> mass in a gravitational field (see Flash-based demo):
>>> http://www.crayonphysics.com/
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a similar application for Linux?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dotan Cohen
>> That is REALLY COOL! Closed thing that I know of like that is
>> Blender3d in game mode.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=314Xm4tQhls
>>
>> But not any where rear as kid friendly!
>>
>> --
>> Douglas E Knapp
>>
>> Why do we live?
>

> I'm taking it to be a windows program as I haven't followed the link. Have you
> tried installing it under wine to see if it can handle it? May be worth a
> shot

Blender? I think Blender is multi-platform. It's hard to learn if you're
not into 3d rendering and movie effects and stuff, in my opinion, but
it's something that can be used to make professional-grade effects.
There's even a movie made entirely using Blender as the animation tool
of choice...

Old 02-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Knapp

> Blender? I think Blender is multi-platform. It's hard to learn if you're
> not into 3d rendering and movie effects and stuff, in my opinion, but
> it's something that can be used to make professional-grade effects.
> There's even a movie made entirely using Blender as the animation tool
> of choice...

There are many movies made with it and only it.

Also the game demo runs just fine under Wine but not under VMware. I
just played all the demo levels. It is a REALLY cool idea but the game
needs some tuning or maybe a choice for age level setting or
something. I never was challenged by the game but maybe my 8 year old
would be. This game with a bit of tuning could be a really great game.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Why do we live?

Old 02-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Dotan Cohen

> I'm taking it to be a windows program as I haven't followed the link. Have you
> tried installing it under wine to see if it can handle it? May be worth a
> shot

I'm not paying the dev $20 to run it in wine. If he wants my money, he
can code for my platform. In fact, he writes on his site that he
intends to do just that.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 02-23-2009, 03:44 PM
sam tygier

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Does anyone know of a similar application for Linux?

Phun has already been pointed out.

there is also numpty physics.
its available for ubuntu in a PPA, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/258015 or at playdeb http://www.playdeb.net/available_games.html

sam