-   -   md5sum from nautilus (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/250668-md5sum-nautilus.html)

Carl Friis-Hansen 02-23-2009 07:39 AM

md5sum from nautilus

Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Hi,
> Is there any nautilus extension that allow us to do md5sum?
> It would be nice to be able to do that from nautilus.
> Thank you.

You could use a script for Nautilus. See here:

http://g-scripts.sourceforge.net/cat-fileproc.php

Carl Friis-Hansen 02-23-2009 07:48 AM

md5sum from nautilus

Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Hi,
> Is there any nautilus extension that allow us to do md5sum?
> It would be nice to be able to do that from nautilus.
> Thank you.

Actually, it is probably overkill if you do not use it on a daily bases.
What I find *much* more useful is the plug-in you can get for Nautilus,
which allows you to "Open in Terminal" when you right-click on an empty
area in a Nautilus directory window. This eliminates the hassle of
cd'ing to the right location.

Fajar Priyanto 02-23-2009 08:17 AM

md5sum from nautilus

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Carl Friis-Hansen
<ubuntuuser@carl-fh.com> wrote:
> Actually, it is probably overkill if you do not use it on a daily bases.
> What I find *much* more useful is the plug-in you can get for Nautilus,
> which allows you to "Open in Terminal" when you right-click on an empty
> area in a Nautilus directory window. This eliminates the hassle of
> cd'ing to the right location.

I think the main reason why I need it is:
I'm copying some big iso files from a network storage appliance that
doesn't have any console. The files are not accompanied by md5sum
file. I access it using "windows share" protocol from Nautilus. Then I
copy the files to a samba shares. In Samba host, of course I can use
md5sum CLI. But how to compare it on the appliance's side? To make
sure that the files are not corrupted during copy.

Fajar Priyanto 02-23-2009 08:32 AM

md5sum from nautilus

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Alex White <ethericalzen@gmail.com> wrote:
> You may want to look here:
> http://g-scripts.sourceforge.net/cat-fileproc.php
>
> If you scroll down a bit you will see, Check_md5. It's in a section
> labeled "Handle md5".
>
> Is this what you're looking for?

Yes Alex,
That is perfect!
Many thanks :)

Fajar Priyanto 02-23-2009 08:33 AM

md5sum from nautilus

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Carl Friis-Hansen
<ubuntuuser@carl-fh.com> wrote:
> Fajar Priyanto wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Is there any nautilus extension that allow us to do md5sum?
>> It would be nice to be able to do that from nautilus.
>> Thank you.
>>

> You could use a script for Nautilus. See here:
>
> http://g-scripts.sourceforge.net/cat-fileproc.php

That is perfect!
Thank you Carl :)

Carl Friis-Hansen 02-23-2009 08:46 AM

md5sum from nautilus

Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Carl Friis-Hansen
> <ubuntuuser@carl-fh.com> wrote:
>> Actually, it is probably overkill if you do not use it on a daily bases.
>> What I find *much* more useful is the plug-in you can get for Nautilus,
>> which allows you to "Open in Terminal" when you right-click on an empty
>> area in a Nautilus directory window. This eliminates the hassle of
>> cd'ing to the right location.
>>

> I think the main reason why I need it is:
> I'm copying some big iso files from a network storage appliance that
> doesn't have any console.

That is a little cryptic to me. What exactly do you mean by that?

> The files are not accompanied by md5sum
> file.

If you do not have an md5 for the files on storage, which is not so
good, then you better create the md5s on the starage and save them in a
text file in the right format. This might all be a little academic ifthe
files are placed on the storage without any verification in the first place.

> I access it using "windows share" protocol from Nautilus. Then I
> copy the files to a samba shares. In Samba host, of course I can use
> md5sum CLI. But how to compare it on the appliance's side? To make
> sure that the files are not corrupted during copy.

If you can copy the files from the storage to the samba shares, then you
can read the files from a terminal window, nautilus or anything almost.
So therefore you can create check sums both places, eventually with a
batch process if you have really many files.

I might have misunderstood the task you try to accomplish, so please
explain a bit more detail.

Fajar Priyanto 02-23-2009 09:43 AM

md5sum from nautilus

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Carl Friis-Hansen
<ubuntuuser@carl-fh.com> wrote:
>> I think the main reason why I need it is:
>> I'm copying some big iso files from a network storage appliance that
>> doesn't have any console.
>
> That is a little cryptic to me. What exactly do you mean by that?
>
> > The files are not accompanied by md5sum
>> file.
>
> If you do not have an md5 for the files on storage, which is not so
> good, then you better create the md5s on the starage and save them in a
> text file in the right format. This might all be a little academic ifthe
> files are placed on the storage without any verification in the first place.

It's been solved, thanks to you on the Nautilus script. Anyway, pls
let me explain more:
The source files are located in a network storage appliance (those
cheap one from generic brand, not a fancy NAS or something). It
doesn't have any console that we can ssh/telnet into. Only web based
UI. The files don't have any md5sum record, don't ask me why :) It's
been there a long time before I got in. Yes, it's definitely not good.

So, by using the nautilus md5-script, at least I can be sure that the
files are not corrupted during the copy from that appliance to samba
by creating and comparing the md5sum on from source (appliance) and
destination (samba).

Matthew Flaschen 02-23-2009 11:19 AM

md5sum from nautilus

Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> It's been solved, thanks to you on the Nautilus script. Anyway, pls
> let me explain more:
> The source files are located in a network storage appliance (those
> cheap one from generic brand, not a fancy NAS or something). It
> doesn't have any console that we can ssh/telnet into. Only web based
> UI.

Are you sure it's really only a web-based interface? If so, I'm unclear
how you're doing md5sums at all (before downloading). If it was
something like NFS or fish (ssh) I could see how that would be possible.
It doesn't matter anymore I guess, but posting a sanitized version of
the source URL would perhaps clarify.

Matt Flaschen

Fajar Priyanto 02-23-2009 11:30 AM

md5sum from nautilus

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Matthew Flaschen
<matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> wrote:
> Fajar Priyanto wrote:
>> It's been solved, thanks to you on the Nautilus script. Anyway, pls
>> let me explain more:
>> The source files are located in a network storage appliance (those
>> cheap one from generic brand, not a fancy NAS or something). It
>> doesn't have any console that we can ssh/telnet into. Only web based
>> UI.
>
> Are you sure it's really only a web-based interface? If so, I'm unclear
> how you're doing md5sums at all (before downloading). If it was
> something like NFS or fish (ssh) I could see how that would be possible.
> It doesn't matter anymore I guess, but posting a sanitized version of
> the source URL would perhaps clarify.

Yes, it's only a web-based UI. Well, here's how the nautilus script
works in my case:
I connect to the appliance from Nautilus > Connect to Server > Windows share.
Right click on the file > Script > Create Md5. A md5sum file created
on that folder (the appliance share).
Right click on file > Copy.
From another Nautilus > Connect to the Samba on another machine >
Right click > Paste.
When finished, Right click on it > Script > create md5.
And compare the result :)

I'm sorry if my English is not so good that creates confusion.

Matthew Flaschen 02-23-2009 11:57 AM

md5sum from nautilus

Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Yes, it's only a web-based UI. Well, here's how the nautilus script
> works in my case:
> I connect to the appliance from Nautilus > Connect to Server > Windows share.

"Windows share" implies the source is a SAMBA/SMB share, which is very
different from a web interface. FYI, SMB shares can be mounted as
"normal" filesystems using smbmount and related commands.

> Right click on the file > Script > Create Md5. A md5sum file created
> on that folder (the appliance share).
> Right click on file > Copy.
>>From another Nautilus > Connect to the Samba on another machine >

Is this not the same connect command (but different URL)?

Matt Flaschen