Old 02-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Craig Cassel

Default help on mic

I am new to using ubuntu. I have 8.04 and mostly everything works okay.
I am using a gateway laptop and my mic (plug in is all I have) does not
work. I need it for skype and gizmo. I also installed virtual box and
Windwos xp and my mic does not work there either. Just before all the
installations I had XP and Mandriva install and my mic worked fine so I
am pretty sure its not a hardware problem.

Can some one give me extremely simple instructions on how to get it
working?

thank you,

Craig

Old 02-22-2009, 10:43 PM
Robert Parker

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 6:26 AM, Craig Cassel <craig_cassel@ntm.org> wrote:
> I am new to this list and I am new to using ubuntu. I don't have all the skills to configure this and configure that. I have used Puppy and Mandriva some.
>
> I have ubuntu 8.04 and mostly everything works okay. Some freezing some time.
>
> I am using a gateway laptop and my mic (plug in is all I have) does not work. I need it for skype and gizmo. I also installed virtual box and
> Windwos xp and my mic does not work there either. Just before all the installations I had XP and Mandriva install and my mic worked fine so I
> am pretty sure its not a hardware problem.
>
> Can some one give me extremely simple instructions on how to get it working?

1. Update pulseaudio as per this link;

2. Settings for Skype Version 2; Main Menu > Options > Sound Devices
Sound In HDA Intel (hw:Intel,0)
Sound Out Pulse
Ringing Pulse

I guess the Skype settings may be particular to the sound device on my
computer so you might need to experiment a bit.

HTH
Bob Parker
--
In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!

Old 02-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Larry Shields

Craig Cassel wrote:
> I am new to using ubuntu. I have 8.04 and mostly everything works okay.
> I am using a gateway laptop and my mic (plug in is all I have) does not
> work. I need it for skype and gizmo. I also installed virtual box and
> Windwos xp and my mic does not work there either. Just before all the
> installations I had XP and Mandriva install and my mic worked fine so I
> am pretty sure its not a hardware problem.
>
> Can some one give me extremely simple instructions on how to get it
> working?
>
> thank you,
>
> Craig

*Hello Craig,

I am running 8.10 Desktop, but it should be the same on a laptop...Try
this type 'alsamixer -D hw:' and see if your mic is muted, or raise the
volumn...

Hope this help's...

Larry
*