Old 02-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Raquel

Default Upgrade

I'm wondering about being able to upgrade.

I have a laptop being used by my spouse that is running Debian Etch.
Rather than upgrading to Lenny I'm wondering about "upgrading" to
Ubuntu Intrepid. She wants to keep the same applications and data
but I'm not so sure of the ability to just upgrade. Anyone have any
experience, or words of wisdom?

--
Raquel
http://www.byraquel.com

--Rebecca West

Old 02-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2009-02-22 at 12:41 -0800, Raquel wrote:
> Rather than upgrading to Lenny I'm wondering about "upgrading" to
> Ubuntu Intrepid.

This is totally unsupported. It might be doable if you are good with
apt, dpkg, and the like. However, you will probably have big problems
that will take a lot of time to resolve and you will be better off to
just reinstall.

Even if you do make it work you should not file any bugs when they
appear on such a system.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:14 AM
Derek Broughton

Kaixi Luo wrote:

Please don't top post.

> I doubt if it's possible. Why don't you just upgrade to Lenny? It's a
> super stable and bug-free distro.
>
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 9:41 PM, Raquel <raquel@thericehouse.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering about being able to upgrade.
>>
>> I have a laptop being used by my spouse that is running Debian Etch.
>> Rather than upgrading to Lenny I'm wondering about "upgrading" to
>> Ubuntu Intrepid. She wants to keep the same applications and data
>> but I'm not so sure of the ability to just upgrade. Anyone have any
>> experience, or words of wisdom?

Of COURSE it's possible. It's Linux, for heaven's sake.

I haven't done it from Etch to Intrepid, but I did it much earlier and many
others have done it since.

Upgrading from Debian to Ubuntu is hardly _simple_, but it's possible. It's
basically an iterative process.

1) change your /etc/apt/sources.list to point to the ubuntu sources
2) sudo aptitude update
3) sudo aptitude full-upgrade

Then things get hazy... You will almost certainly have broken packages. Fix
the obvious errors, repeat step 3. Keep repeating until nothing is broken.

At some point - very probably the first attempt - you will be presented with
options suggesting some things should be removed to make the upgrade work.
Here you need to use your judgement. If it looks like it's removing too
much, say "no" and see if it gives you a better option. Whatever it does,
don't let it remove libc6.

4) sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop

Old 02-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Raquel

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 23:14:19 -0400
Derek Broughton <derek@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> Of COURSE it's possible. It's Linux, for heaven's sake.
>
> I haven't done it from Etch to Intrepid, but I did it much earlier
> and many others have done it since.
>
> Upgrading from Debian to Ubuntu is hardly _simple_, but it's
> possible. It's basically an iterative process.
>
> 1) change your /etc/apt/sources.list to point to the ubuntu sources
> 2) sudo aptitude update
> 3) sudo aptitude full-upgrade
>
> Then things get hazy... You will almost certainly have broken
> packages. Fix the obvious errors, repeat step 3. Keep repeating
> until nothing is broken.
>
> At some point - very probably the first attempt - you will be
> presented with options suggesting some things should be removed to
> make the upgrade work. Here you need to use your judgement. If it
> looks like it's removing too much, say "no" and see if it gives you
> a better option. Whatever it does, don't let it remove libc6.
>
> 4) sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop

Thank you, Derek, for your answer. It's pretty much what I thought.
I have 7 machines I'm maintaining here at home, 2 of them being
laptops. I'm wanting to keep the laptops on the same thing, just for
my own ease of up keep.

I think that it might be easier to do a fresh Intrepid install and
then to move her data over from a backup. It might be easier that
way to move configuration files from /etc, also from a backup.

--
Raquel
http://www.byraquel.com

--Greg Brown, "The Poet Game"

Old 02-24-2009, 12:08 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2009-02-22 at 23:14 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> 1) change your /etc/apt/sources.list to point to the ubuntu sources
> 2) sudo aptitude update
> 3) sudo aptitude full-upgrade

... and miss all packages that had a higher version number in Debian
than they have in Ubuntu (rare but happens).

I know we have discussed this before, and didn't we come to the
conclusion that is is possible but if you have to ask it is not for
you?

Old 02-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Derek Broughton

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Sun, 2009-02-22 at 23:14 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> 1) change your /etc/apt/sources.list to point to the ubuntu sources
>> 2) sudo aptitude update
>> 3) sudo aptitude full-upgrade
>
> ... and miss all packages that had a higher version number in Debian
> than they have in Ubuntu (rare but happens).

That's where the whole iteration business comes in.

> I know we have discussed this before, and didn't we come to the
> conclusion that is is possible but if you have to ask it is not for
> you?

Probably. It's certainly not for the faint of heart. And I seem to have
forgotten to mention backups :-)
--
derek

Old 02-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Raquel

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 10:01:37 -0400
Derek Broughton <derek@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> > I know we have discussed this before, and didn't we come to the
> > conclusion that is is possible but if you have to ask it is not
> > for you?
>
> Probably. It's certainly not for the faint of heart. And I seem
> to have forgotten to mention backups :-)

Asking the question doesn't mean I'm faint of heart. Ten years ago I
dumped NT3.51 because I didn't want to go to the more graphical NT4.
I went directly to RedHat 3.$something and then 3 years later to
Debian. My servers run stable, moving them a couple of months after
stable's release. Of course, backups are done daily as a matter of
course.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:08 AM
Raquel

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 12:41:16 -0800
Raquel <raquel@thericehouse.net> wrote:

> I'm wondering about being able to upgrade.
>
> I have a laptop being used by my spouse that is running Debian Etch.
> Rather than upgrading to Lenny I'm wondering about "upgrading" to
> Ubuntu Intrepid. She wants to keep the same applications and data
> but I'm not so sure of the ability to just upgrade. Anyone have any
> experience, or words of wisdom?
>
> --
> Raquel

On this, I decided to just install Intrepid, formatting everything
but the home directory. Then I made sure that all the same software
packages were installed. For most of them, the local settings were
still in the home directory so she had to do little setup once I got
the "bigger picture" taken care of.

--
Raquel
http://www.byraquel.com

--Jawaharlal Nehru

Old 03-02-2009, 07:22 PM
James Matthews

It's big free for now... but we know how things could change.

http://www.goldwatches.com/

http://www.jewelerslounge.com/