Old 02-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Knapp

Default Does the canoscan 5600f work well for Linux?

Does the Canoscan 5600f work well for Linux?
There are some good deals for it around.
Thanks!
--
Douglas E Knapp

Why do we live?

Old 02-22-2009, 10:31 PM
David Fox

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does the Canoscan 5600f work well for Linux?
> There are some good deals for it around.
> Thanks!

Is that a LIDE model? I don't think Canon scanners are supported that
well, but I don't know that particular model. I borrowed a Canoscan
Lide 70 model and it's not at all supported in Linux - think
"paperweight" along the same lines as the Linux Printer Database
classifies printers.

Scanners are a lot harder to get working than (win)printers under
Linux and Canon needs a clue stick. Buy something that works.

But they are attractive in that they are cheap. I'll likely give back
the scanner I have to my friend now that I know what I can look for,
athough I don't do much with scanners, they can be convenient when
they work.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:45 AM
Knapp

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 12:31 AM, David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Does the Canoscan 5600f work well for Linux?
>> There are some good deals for it around.
>> Thanks!
>
> Is that a LIDE model? I don't think Canon scanners are supported that
> well, but I don't know that particular model. I borrowed a Canoscan
> Lide 70 model and it's not at all supported in Linux - think
> "paperweight" along the same lines as the Linux Printer Database
> classifies printers.
>
> Scanners are a lot harder to get working than (win)printers under
> Linux and Canon needs a clue stick. Buy something that works.
>
> But they are attractive in that they are cheap. I'll likely give back
> the scanner I have to my friend now that I know what I can look for,
> athough I don't do much with scanners, they can be convenient when
> they work.

Would it work under VMware then?

--
Douglas E Knapp

Why do we live?

Old 02-23-2009, 03:34 PM
David Fox

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 12:45 AM, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would it work under VMware then?

Don't know for sure. I believe it would work in a Windows guest, as
long as the usb device support was transparent enough. I run
Virtualbox on my desktop, but I don't have any Windows guests at the
moment.