Old 02-22-2009, 06:26 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Default Gmail change?

I use gmail and IMAP it to my Thunderbird and it acts almost like
any email provider with one real big problem. At some time it will
pester you to death asking for your user name and password. These
attacks were about once or twice a week and lasted for a couple of hours.

It occurs to me that it has been several weeks up to now since the
latest attack here and I wonder if if a Google Engineer found the cause
of the problem and fixed it? I am a investor in stocks and bonds and
there is only one thing you can say about the Google business, it is
well run and even today it pays a good dividend. The people working at
Google are safe and can ride out the business down-turn fixing what they
have :-)

Thank you Google!

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Thorny

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 12:26:31 -0700, Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> I use gmail and IMAP it to my Thunderbird and it acts almost like
> any email provider with one real big problem. At some time it will pester
> you to death asking for your user name and password. These attacks were
> about once or twice a week and lasted for a couple of hours.

Well Karl, I don't follow what question you are asking. I suppose you mean
that you have optioned your email client (TBird) for IMAP access to Gmail.
Under what conditions do you observe the situation about which you are
complaining? How is what you are talking about an "attack", authenticating
for access to a server is a normal process. How is this different from
"any email provider", do you mean different from POP3 access or something
else?

> It occurs to me that it has been several weeks up to now since the
> latest attack here and I wonder if if a Google Engineer found the cause of
> the problem and fixed it? I am a investor in stocks and bonds and there is
> only one thing you can say about the Google business, it is well run and
> even today it pays a good dividend. The people working at Google are safe
> and can ride out the business down-turn fixing what they have :-)

Once again, I don't understand your use of "attack". Additionally,
wouldn't it be better to ask Google if one of their engineers did
something rather than some non-related newsgroup? I'm sure it is a good
thing for you that you are getting a good dividend from your investments
but I don't see how it is related to whatever question that you are
asking.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009, Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> It occurs to me that it has been several weeks up to now since the
> latest attack here and I wonder if if a Google Engineer found the cause
> of the problem and fixed it? I am a investor in stocks and bonds and
> there is only one thing you can say about the Google business, it is
> well run and even today it pays a good dividend. The people working at
> Google are safe and can ride out the business down-turn fixing what they
> have :-)

Schwab research, Morningstar, and BigCharts all say that Google (goog)
pays no dividend. I would advise you to change your brand of booze.

--
Bob Holtzman
"The best argument against democracy is a five

Old 02-23-2009, 08:00 PM
James Matthews

I have the same issue while running on Windows. 1. I would use evolution* (I like it more) Also it's gmails issue not yours

http://www.astorandblack.com

Old 02-23-2009, 08:28 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Feb 2009, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>

>> It occurs to me that it has been several weeks up to now since the
>> latest attack here and I wonder if if a Google Engineer found the cause
>> of the problem and fixed it? I am a investor in stocks and bonds and
>> there is only one thing you can say about the Google business, it is
>> well run and even today it pays a good dividend. The people working at
>> Google are safe and can ride out the business down-turn fixing what they
>> have :-)
>>

> Schwab research, Morningstar, and BigCharts all say that Google (goog)
> pays no dividend. I would advise you to change your brand of booze.

Google has suffered and yes they pay no dividend. But the stocks
value was once 900 and it may reach that again IF we get rid of Obama.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-23-2009, 11:48 PM
Derek Broughton

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> Google has suffered and yes they pay no dividend. But the stocks
> value was once 900 and it may reach that again IF we get rid of Obama.

LOL. The wave of Obamamania is the only thing that's keeping your country
afloat!
--
derek

Old 02-24-2009, 12:54 AM
Charlie Kravetz

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 20:48:03 -0400
Derek Broughton <derek@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>

> > Google has suffered and yes they pay no dividend. But the stocks
> > value was once 900 and it may reach that again IF we get rid of
> > Obama.
> >

> LOL. The wave of Obamamania is the only thing that's keeping your
> country afloat!

Unfortunately, Obama bashers decided before the election was over the
entire shape the USA was in was his fault. I am not sure what role he
may have played, but HE did it!

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 02-24-2009, 03:34 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

> Google has suffered and yes they pay no dividend. But the stocks
> value was once 900 and it may reach that again IF we get rid of Obama.

LOL. The wave of Obamamania is the only thing that's keeping your country
afloat!
--
derek
LOL. That's total bull shit, Derek.

Leonard Chatagnier

lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Tommy Trussell

I suggest folks need to take the political and personal jabs (as well
as everything else in this thread) off the list, please!

Old 02-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Derek Broughton

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> LOL. *That's total bull shit, Derek.

You should try not to reply _after_ a .sig separator - most decent mail
programs won't include anything after "--
" in the reply.

Call it bull shit if you want, but you really need to back that up somehow.
It's a well-known phenomenon that there's usually a grace period for any
new president (or new leaders in most countries), in which there's a
generally increased sense of optimism. In this case, the optimism is by
all accounts much higher than usual. The US economy was tanking when Obama
stepped in, and it's still critically ill, but if he can pull a rabbit out
of his hat in the first hundred days it might actually survive. Without
the change of president it would have continued the downhill slide.

It didn't need to be Obama who became president - any change would have
helped. otoh, if he doesn't accomplish anything by May/June, the mob will
turn on him...
--
derek