Old 02-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Tab Gilbert

Default Gmail change?

I suggest folks need to take the political and personal jabs (as well

as everything else in this thread) off the list, please!

Yeah, there is a good "top" vs "bottom" posting disagreement going on nearby if you folks want a serious, endless argument not related to Ubuntu to fill your time with.*

tab

Old 02-24-2009, 03:18 PM
Timothy-Allen Albertson

i give the mob until August to go after obama
Timothy-Allen Albertson
Registered Linux User *No. 482284
Registered Ubuntu User No. 25839
Amateur Radio Station KG6IRH/0-
Technician Class License Since 2001

Echolink Node No. 48255
Latitude: 41.254887 (41° 15' 17' N)
Longitude: -95.852753 (95° 51' 9' W)
Grid Square: EN21bg
12 *...In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children... *Book of Mormon--Alma 46:12

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Derek Broughton <derek@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> LOL. *That's total bull shit, Derek.

You should try not to reply _after_ a .sig separator - most decent mail

programs won't include anything after "--
" in the reply.

Call it bull shit if you want, but you really need to back that up somehow.

It's a well-known phenomenon that there's usually a grace period for any

new president (or new leaders in most countries), in which there's a

generally increased sense of optimism. *In this case, the optimism is by

all accounts much higher than usual. *The US economy was tanking when Obama

stepped in, and it's still critically ill, but if he can pull a rabbit out

of his hat in the first hundred days it might actually survive. *Without

the change of president it would have continued the downhill slide.

It didn't need to be Obama who became president - any change would have

helped. *otoh, if he doesn't accomplish anything by May/June, the mob will

turn on him...

--

derek

Old 02-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Sandahl

Agree. Discussion about personal and political matters is not what i joined this list for.Sandahl

Old 02-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Derek Broughton

Timothy-Allen Albertson wrote:

> i give the mob until August to go after obama

LOL. I didn't really mean the "Mob", but ...
--
derek

Old 02-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Derek Broughton

Sandahl wrote:

> Agree. Discussion about personal and political matters is not what i
> joined this list for.
> Sandahl

Then set your mail reader to ignore anything with an [OT] in the subject,
for heaven's sake. I love when people who contribute nothing to the list
all get hot under the collar if a few of the regulars go OT...
--
derek

Old 02-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Sandahl

Newcomer to the list yes very,* just yesterday. Hot under the collar,* no. New to Ubuntu, no. Gracias por el consejo.Sandahl

Old 02-24-2009, 10:25 PM
NoOp

On 02/22/2009 11:26 AM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> I use gmail and IMAP it to my Thunderbird and it acts almost like

Karl, Google support & accolades department is two doors down on the left.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:25 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Sandahl wrote:
>

>> Agree. Discussion about personal and political matters is not what i
>> joined this list for.
>> Sandahl
>>

> Then set your mail reader to ignore anything with an [OT] in the subject,
> for heaven's sake. I love when people who contribute nothing to the list
> all get hot under the collar if a few of the regulars go OT...

Derek,

Just for the record:

Of the 86 (up to this moment) posts under the utmost important topic
"Why do people detest top posting so much?" only 9 went OT, only 2
yours. And they say this is the "Ubuntu user technical support, not for
general discussions" and you dare to bash newbies when they ask for the
rules to be followed? What kind of regular volunteering is this?

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng. - São Paulo - Brazil
Lat.: 23°34'4.79"S - Long.: 46°39'59.53"W

Old 02-25-2009, 01:59 PM
Derek Broughton

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

> Of the 86 (up to this moment) posts under the utmost important topic
> "Why do people detest top posting so much?" only 9 went OT, only 2
> yours.

I beg to differ, but...

> And they say this is the "Ubuntu user technical support, not for
> general discussions" and you dare to bash newbies when they ask for the
> rules to be followed? What kind of regular volunteering is this?

Rule # 1, there are no rules.

Yes, I dare to object to people objecting to _any_ posts, because it ONLY
adds to the noise ratio. Complaining about posts, as in this case, is a
purely futile exercise.
--
derek

Old 02-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Thorny

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 09:31:46 -0600, Tab Gilbert wrote:

[...]
> Yeah, there is a good "top" vs "bottom" posting disagreement going on
> nearby if you folks want a serious, endless argument not related to
> Ubuntu to fill your time with.

Well, there is another way of looking at it. The topic of how to post on
this list could be considered on topic for this list. Personally, I do
because I think it relates to the community and even to the most effective
way to use the list to get help. However, the political situation in a
country is probably not very much related to technical help with Ubuntu.
YMMV. Not everyone on this list lives in that country, many probably
haven't even visited it. I supposed it could be argued that anything that
happens in that country affects the whole world and everything in it
(Ubuntu included) but I doubt it has much to do with Karl's original post
which seemed to be about authenticating to a server.