Old 02-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Sean Sieger

Default mis-installation of package

I think when I was installing gtypist, I accidentally closed the
terminal I was running aptitude in. Gtypist is installed and runs
properly, but everytime a package manager runs an error occurs about
gtypist and gettext and scripts and their exit status. In fact, it's
now to the point that the package manager won't install the latest
upgrades.

I've tried uninstalling, purging, removal ... I don't know what to do.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2009-02-22 at 13:16 -0500, Sean Sieger wrote:
> In fact, it's
> now to the point that the package manager won't install the latest
> upgrades.
>
> I've tried uninstalling, purging, removal ... I don't know what to do.

Isn't part of the error output (at the end) something like "dpkg was
disrupted, run 'dpkg --configure -a' to fix it"?

Anway, you can try that (with sudo)

Post the full error output if it does not help. (copy/paste from the
terminal)

Old 02-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Sean Sieger

Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> writes:

Isn't part of the error output (at the end) something like "dpkg was
disrupted, run 'dpkg --configure -a' to fix it"?

I'm sorry, Mario, I never noticed that part; however, just that command
fixed things and I really appreciate your quick reply. Thank you.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2009-02-22 at 14:39 -0500, Sean Sieger wrote:
> I'm sorry, Mario, I never noticed that part

It happens frequently on the list, everyone is always so shocked when
the APT database seems to be broken that the shutters go down. No
problem at all, I can understand that

Old 02-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Sean Sieger

Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> writes:

Isn't part of the error output (at the end) something like "dpkg was
disrupted, run 'dpkg --configure -a' to fix it"?

Anway, you can try that (with sudo)

Post the full error output if it does not help. (copy/paste from the
terminal)

sean@g41r2f1:~$ sudo aptitude remove gtypist gettext
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
gettext gtypist
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 10.2MB will be freed.
Writing extended state information... Done
(Reading database ... 124963 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing gettext ...
install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
dpkg: error processing gettext (--remove):
subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
Removing gtypist ...
install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
dpkg: error processing gtypist (--remove):
subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
gettext
gtypist
A package failed to install. Trying to recover:

Old 02-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Derek Broughton

Sean Sieger wrote:

> sean@g41r2f1:~$ sudo aptitude remove gtypist gettext
> Removing gettext ...
> install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
> dpkg: error processing gettext (--remove):
> subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
> install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
> dpkg: error while cleaning up:
> subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1

What I usually do in this situation is:

# sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/gettext.prerm
# sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/gtypist.prerm
# sudo aptitude remove gtypist gettext
# sudo aptitude install gtypist gettext

and if you really didn't want them "remove" or "purge" again, and if you end
up in the same situation, just delete everything related to the packages
in /var/lib/dpkg/info.

The reason for removing, then reinstalling and removing, is that the "prerm"
scripts are presumably trying to do _something_ reasonably worthwhile, and
so you want to try to give it a chance to clean up properly.
--
derek

Old 02-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 14:58 -0500, Sean Sieger wrote:
> sean@g41r2f1:~$ sudo aptitude remove gtypist gettext
[...]
> Removing gettext ...
> install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
> dpkg: error processing gettext (--remove):
> subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
> install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
> dpkg: error while cleaning up:
> subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> Removing gtypist ...
> install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
> dpkg: error processing gtypist (--remove):
> subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
> gettext
> gtypist
[...]

I don't get it. A few days ago you replied "I'm sorry, Mario, I never
noticed that part; however, just that command fixed things" so I assumed
it is fixed now. Is this a new issue, the same issue, or just an old
email that somehow got sent late?

Old 02-26-2009, 08:57 PM
Sean Sieger

Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> writes:

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 14:58 -0500, Sean Sieger wrote:
> sean@g41r2f1:~$ sudo aptitude remove gtypist gettext
[...]
> Removing gettext ...
> install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
> dpkg: error processing gettext (--remove):
> subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
> install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
> dpkg: error while cleaning up:
> subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> Removing gtypist ...
> install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
> dpkg: error processing gtypist (--remove):
> subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
> gettext
> gtypist
[...]

I don't get it. A few days ago you replied "I'm sorry, Mario, I never
noticed that part; however, just that command fixed things" so I assumed
it is fixed now. Is this a new issue, the same issue, or just an old
email that somehow got sent late?

Errors regarding gtypist and gettext continue to show up upon regular
system updates. The command `sudo dpkg --configure -a' certainly
doesn't show up in the text that you asked me to paste from xterm,
right? Running the command at least allowed me to continue with
updates. What do I do about getting gettext and gtypist installed
properly? Thank you very much.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 16:57 -0500, Sean Sieger wrote:
> Errors regarding gtypist and gettext continue to show up upon regular
> system updates.

Ok, understood.

> The command `sudo dpkg --configure -a' certainly
> doesn't show up in the text that you asked me to paste from xterm,
> right?

It doesn't

> Running the command at least allowed me to continue with
> updates. What do I do about getting gettext and gtypist installed
> properly? Thank you very much.

It seems to be actually two different errors. The first one was that due
to the interruption of the update earlier, dpkg refused to do anything
unless every updated package was configured. This was fixed by running
"dpkg --configure -a".

Now another error came to light, which probably is also a result of the
earlier interruption. When removing gettext and gtypist, aptitude runs
dpkg, which first executes the pre-removal scripts, i.e., scripts that
need to be run prior to removal. These scripts fail because of the
"install-info: No dir file specified" error.

Could you please try to first reinstall gettext and gtypist by running
"sudo aptitude update" followed by "sudo aptitude reinstall gettext
gtypist". This should get the packages in working order. If the
reinstall works, try to remove the packages again. Post any errors you
might get.

Good luck
Mario

Old 02-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Sean Sieger

sean@g41r2f1:~$ sudo aptitude reinstall gettext gtypist
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
The following packages will be REINSTALLED:
gettext gtypist
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upg
raded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Writing extended state information... Done
Setting up gettext (0.17-3ubuntu2) ...
install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
dpkg: error processing gettext (--configure):
Setting up gtypist (2.7-5) ...
install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
dpkg: error processing gtypist (--configure):
gettext
gtypist
A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information