FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Haseeb ul Hasan
 
Default 2 Rookie questions. Ms office and file conversion

Hey everyone
I just wanna know how to run microsoft office apps in intrepid and i
have a lot of mp3 files (since i was using windows before). Is there a
software which runs them or do i have to convert them. I am really
used to using winamp due to its very good dsp plugins i already have.
Is there a way i can run winamp too?
Thanks in anticipation
Regards
MH

--
Sent from my mobile device

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Mario Vukelic
 
Default 2 Rookie questions. Ms office and file conversion

On Sun, 2009-02-22 at 22:04 +0500, Haseeb ul Hasan wrote:
> Hey everyone
> I just wanna know how to run microsoft office apps in intrepid

There are 2 options: virtualization or Wine. When you google for these
terms (AND "ubuntu") you will find lots of info, this topic has been
discussed to death here on the list.

In short:

Virtualization lets you install a full Windows installation within
Ubuntu. Windows will then run inside Ubuntu in a window like any other
application, and you can install Office inside of Windows as usual.
The best way to do this is to use VirtualBox:
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox

Advantage: you will run a real Windows, so there won't be compatibility
issues.
Disadvantage: you will need a lot of RAM, since your existing RAM will
be split between Ubuntu and Windows. You will also need a Windows
license. Windows will be slower than if run stand-alone, but if you have
a recent CPU it won't be really noticable.


Wine is a compatibility layer that implements parts of Windows in the
Linux environment. You will not need to install Windows. Instead, you
will install MS Office directly (Wine will take care of that.)
Wine is a reimplementation of Windows, so it is incomplete and your
applications may or may not work to varying degrees.
There are two options:

The free version of Wine. Info about this in Ubuntu is here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine
Wine has a compatibility database here:
http://appdb.winehq.org/ where you can look up how well MS Office
applications run - not that bad, actually, depending on version, but not
perfect, either.

There is also a commercial variant of Winde by the company, Codeweavers.
They are good citizens and support the free Wine project, on top of
which they build their products. They certify some applications to
work, and Office is obviously an important target.
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxlinux/
Compatibility database: http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/



> and i
> have a lot of mp3 files (since i was using windows before). Is there a
> software which runs them or do i have to convert them.

No problem, mp3s run out of the box. The default music player,
Rhythmbox, can be used as a music manager, similar to iTunes. You can
also burn mp3s as an Audio CD using the default CD burner, Brasero. And
you can rip CDs to mp3s using Sound Juicer, also installed by default.
There are, of course, many other audio applications, such as the editor,
Audacity (which also can use mp3s out of the box)
The full story is here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats


> I am really
> used to using winamp due to its very good dsp plugins i already have.
> Is there a way i can run winamp too?

Just like with MS Office, you can use either a virtualized Windows or
try whether Winamp installs and can be used with Wine (see application
database)


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Chris G
 
Default 2 Rookie questions. Ms office and file conversion

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 06:36:33PM +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-02-22 at 22:04 +0500, Haseeb ul Hasan wrote:
> > Hey everyone
> > I just wanna know how to run microsoft office apps in intrepid
>
> There are 2 options: virtualization or Wine. When you google for these
> terms (AND "ubuntu") you will find lots of info, this topic has been
> discussed to death here on the list.
>
> In short:
>
> Virtualization lets you install a full Windows installation within
> Ubuntu. Windows will then run inside Ubuntu in a window like any other
> application, and you can install Office inside of Windows as usual.
> The best way to do this is to use VirtualBox:
> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox
>
> Advantage: you will run a real Windows, so there won't be compatibility
> issues.
> Disadvantage: you will need a lot of RAM, since your existing RAM will
> be split between Ubuntu and Windows. You will also need a Windows
> license. Windows will be slower than if run stand-alone, but if you have
> a recent CPU it won't be really noticable.
>
Another disadvantage *may* be that you need a Windows licence.
>
> Wine is a compatibility layer that implements parts of Windows in the
> Linux environment. You will not need to install Windows. Instead, you
> will install MS Office directly (Wine will take care of that.)
> Wine is a reimplementation of Windows, so it is incomplete and your
> applications may or may not work to varying degrees.
> There are two options:
>
> The free version of Wine. Info about this in Ubuntu is here:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine
> Wine has a compatibility database here:
> http://appdb.winehq.org/ where you can look up how well MS Office
> applications run - not that bad, actually, depending on version, but not
> perfect, either.
>

--
Chris Green

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Mario Vukelic
 
Default 2 Rookie questions. Ms office and file conversion

On Sun, 2009-02-22 at 17:42 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 06:36:33PM +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> > You will also need a Windows
> > license.

> Another disadvantage *may* be that you need a Windows licence.

))


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Mario Vukelic
 
Default 2 Rookie questions. Ms office and file conversion

On Sun, 2009-02-22 at 18:36 +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> The default music player,
> Rhythmbox, can be used as a music manager, similar to iTunes.

Optionally there is also Banshee, which many people prefer and others
don't like, as always


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Chris G
 
Default 2 Rookie questions. Ms office and file conversion

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 06:51:40PM +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-02-22 at 17:42 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 06:36:33PM +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> > > You will also need a Windows
> > > license.
>
> > Another disadvantage *may* be that you need a Windows licence.
>
> ))
>
Oops, how did I miss that! :-)

--
Chris Green

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Mario Vukelic
 
Default 2 Rookie questions. Ms office and file conversion

On Sun, 2009-02-22 at 18:04 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> Oops, how did I miss that! :-)

I didn't make bullet points for each disadvantage


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi
 
Default 2 Rookie questions. Ms office and file conversion

Haseeb ul Hasan wrote:

> I just wanna know how to run microsoft office apps in intrepid
> Regards
> MH
>
>
Perhaps you could check if any of the OpenOffice applications would fit
your needs.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng. - São Paulo - Brazil
Lat.: 23°34'4.79"S - Long.: 46°39'59.53"W
email: lmnicolosi@gmail.com - skype: lmnicolosi1
Linux Registered User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-23-2009, 07:40 AM
Matthew Flaschen
 
Default 2 Rookie questions. Ms office and file conversion

Mario Vukelic wrote:
>> and i
>> have a lot of mp3 files (since i was using windows before). Is there a
>> software which runs them or do i have to convert them.
>
> No problem, mp3s run out of the box.

Surely not. As https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats
says, "proprietary media formats are not configured 'out of the box'."
Granted, Canonical does its best to play both sides of the fence with
one-click installers. Still, it's clear the actual MP3 software is not
on the CD.

For converting mp3s, I recommend ffmpeg2theora, and I have a simple but
useful wrapper script (mp32ogg.sh) that handles tags and such if you're
interested.

Matt Flaschen

Matt Flaschen


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:31 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org