Old 02-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Francisco Borges

Default Jaunty: 2.6.28-8 hangs while booting

Hello,

After updating to the latest Jaunty, I can't reboot anymore. Booting
with earlier kernels hangs for a while now, but they end up booting. I
don't think it is a sudden hardware failure as booting with a
Ubuntu8.10 CD works.

If I use 2.6.28-8 the system will hang, and after 1.5minute it will
proceed, display a bunch of messages (which incidentally are not
displayed in dmesg), and then continue to hang. If I use 2.6.28-6 the
same happens but after this 1.5 min of waiting the boot procedure
resumes, and succeeds booting. AFAICT other than the wait, the system
works properly.

However I find hard to diagnose the issue as in both cases, the last
messages before hanging are quite different despite the fact that both
hang after around 10 secs. Any hints on how to further diagnose the
issue?

Attached is dmesg but notice that the Alsa error messages are new (I
just broke after installing it from sources and realizing that it
wasn't it)

The system runs Jaunty (amd64) on a Asus P5N7A-VM.

--
Francisco

Old 02-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Jonathan Hudson

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/332270

Old 02-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Francisco Borges

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 4:52 PM, Jonathan Hudson <jh+ubuntu@daria.co.uk> wrote:
>>However I find hard to diagnose the issue as in both cases, the last
>>messages before hanging are quite different despite the fact that both
>>hang after around 10 secs. Any hints on how to further diagnose the
>>issue?
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/332270

Thanks a lot! I spend a good part of the day searching for it at
launchpad, but somehow missed it.

Cheers,
--
Francisco