Old 02-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

Default How to increase display-sleep in power manager?

Why can we not set display sleep in gnome power manager to more than 1
hour? When did that change? Or at least I _think_ I used to be able to
set display sleep to 2 or so hours in 8.04...

Anyway, I just need to find which config file to tweak to get it to go
in display sleep after 3 or 4 hours. Any pointers? Searching so far
hasn't yielded anything....

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

"From there to here,
From here to there,
Funny things
are everywhere."
--- Dr. Seuss

Old 02-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> Why can we not set display sleep in gnome power manager to more than 1
> hour? When did that change? Or at least I _think_ I used to be able to
> set display sleep to 2 or so hours in 8.04...
>
> Anyway, I just need to find which config file to tweak to get it to go
> in display sleep after 3 or 4 hours. Any pointers? Searching so far
> hasn't yielded anything....

Well, I did find this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager/+bug/59589
... which doesn't say how to increase it. But apparently the Gnome HIG
group decided that nobody should wait more than 1 hour before their
computer display goes to sleep...

Yes, I was a good boy, and deleted my original message. Didn't want to
start another "lively discussion"

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

"From there to here,
From here to there,
Funny things
are everywhere."
--- Dr. Seuss

Old 02-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>> Why can we not set display sleep in gnome power manager to more than 1
>> hour? When did that change? Or at least I _think_ I used to be able to
>> set display sleep to 2 or so hours in 8.04...
>>
>> Anyway, I just need to find which config file to tweak to get it to go
>> in display sleep after 3 or 4 hours. Any pointers? Searching so far
>> hasn't yielded anything....
>>

> Well, I did find this:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager/+bug/59589
> ... which doesn't say how to increase it. But apparently the Gnome HIG
> group decided that nobody should wait more than 1 hour before their
> computer display goes to sleep...
>
> Yes, I was a good boy, and deleted my original message. Didn't want to
> start another "lively discussion"

Well, it appears that you can manually enter the value you want in
gconf Config Editor... apps/gnome-power-manager/timeout/sleep_display_ac.
I set it to 6600 there, keeping in mind that the screensaver is set to
10 minutes (600 seconds). I didn't use a stop watch, but it did blank
the screen after (about) 2 hours, 7200 seconds.
I'll watch again to confirm.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

"From there to here,
From here to there,
Funny things
are everywhere."
--- Dr. Seuss

Old 02-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>> Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>>> Why can we not set display sleep in gnome power manager to more than 1
>>> hour? When did that change? Or at least I _think_ I used to be able to
>>> set display sleep to 2 or so hours in 8.04...
>>>
>>> Anyway, I just need to find which config file to tweak to get it to go
>>> in display sleep after 3 or 4 hours. Any pointers? Searching so far
>>> hasn't yielded anything....
>>>

>> Well, I did find this:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager/+bug/59589
>> ... which doesn't say how to increase it. But apparently the Gnome HIG
>> group decided that nobody should wait more than 1 hour before their
>> computer display goes to sleep...
>>
>> Yes, I was a good boy, and deleted my original message. Didn't want to
>> start another "lively discussion"
>>

> Well, it appears that you can manually enter the value you want in
> gconf Config Editor... apps/gnome-power-manager/timeout/sleep_display_ac.
> I set it to 6600 there, keeping in mind that the screensaver is set to
> 10 minutes (600 seconds). I didn't use a stop watch, but it did blank
> the screen after (about) 2 hours, 7200 seconds.
> I'll watch again to confirm.

Well, I can confirm that this work around works. The Power Management
applet in 8.10 is useless if you want to set display sleep for more than
one hour. So set it in Gnome Configuration Editor...
Yeah, I'm talking to myself here, but at least this is "documented" here.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

"From there to here,
From here to there,
Funny things
are everywhere."
--- Dr. Seuss

Old 02-22-2009, 11:47 PM
Norberto Bensa

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Dave Woyciesjes
<woyciesjes@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Yeah, I'm talking to myself here, but at least this is "documented" here.

Heh. I use to talk to myself on mailing list and forums.

One time I posted my hd partition scheme to the Gentoo ML. A year or
two later, that post saved my data when I -accidentally- deleted all
the partitions of drive :-)

As Linus said once: "Backups are for wimps. Real men upload their data
to an FTP site and have everyone else mirror it."

Regards,
Norberto