Old 02-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Nils Kassube

Default No more sound after second X server

Tux wrote:
> My Kubuntu (8.04) has no more sound after I started a second X server.
> How can I get it back?

When I start a second KDE session the sound is always set to the last
settings I had when I was logged in with that second user. Now when I
logout as the second user the sound isn't restored. I think the new
settings will even be saved for the first user as default values. Now if
the sound settings for the second user were e.g. muted it would mean that
sound is muted for both users after a reboot. So I think you should find
out if all sound controls are at appropriate gain and the channels aren't
muted. This should be done with both users logged in.

Nils

Old 02-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Nigel Henry

On Sunday 22 February 2009 13:05, Tux wrote:
> Hello
>
> My Kubuntu (8.04) has no more sound after I started a second X server.
> How can I get it back?
> I tried a full reboot: no effect.
> If I boot on the live CD, the sound works fine, so this is not a
> hardware problem..
>
> To get a second X server, I logged as another user in a console
> (CTRL+ALT+F1), than I run:
> startx -- :1
>
> How can I correct this?
> Why does this happened? How can I prevent this?
>
> Thanks for your help

I've seen something similar to this before. It's worth a look in /etc/group,
and make sure that all your users are members of the audio group.

It appears to be common that there is no entry for the first user, although
the sound works ok, but adding new users to your system without them being
added to the audio group, can result in no sounds for any users including the
first user. If that is the case for you, add all your user names, including
the first (comma separated), to /etc/group audio. Reboot, and see if the
sounds are back.

You say you're using Kubuntu Hardy, so pulseaudio should not be in the
equation, as that is only installed on Ubuntu Hardy as a default part of the
install.

It's also worth opening alsamixer, as user in Konsole, and check for any
controls, like Master, PCM, Front, that may for some reason or other, have
become muted.

Nigel.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Tux

2009/2/22, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net>:
> When I start a second KDE session the sound is always set to the last
> settings I had when I was logged in with that second user. Now when I
> logout as the second user the sound isn't restored. I think the new
> settings will even be saved for the first user as default values. Now if
> the sound settings for the second user were e.g. muted it would mean that
> sound is muted for both users after a reboot. So I think you should find
> out if all sound controls are at appropriate gain and the channels aren't
> muted. This should be done with both users logged in.

Thanks for tip, you are right!
The actions in kmix which had no effect when only the first user was
connected worked when both were.
I would never have thought of that.

Thanks!