Old 02-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Alain Muls

Default mysql_safe using all CPU

Hi all,

/bin/sh /usr/bin/mysqld_safe is using up more than 90% of my processor.
Can I safely kill this process?

Tx/Alain

Old 02-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Norberto Bensa

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> /bin/sh /usr/bin/mysqld_safe is using up more than 90% of my processor.
> Can I safely kill this process?

Do you have mysql log activated?

What is it doing?

Old 02-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Hal Burgiss

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 01:35:45PM +0100, Alain Muls wrote:
> /bin/sh /usr/bin/mysqld_safe is using up more than 90% of my processor.
> Can I safely kill this process?

Not sure you what mean by "safe", but I would certainly try restarting
mysql. If for some reason, after a minute or two, that process doesn't
go away, I'd consider manually killing it, then restarting mysql.
Whether that solves the problem, is another can of worms, so to speak.
As mentioned, the logs would probably be informative.

--
Hal

Old 02-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Res

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009, Alain Muls wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> /bin/sh /usr/bin/mysqld_safe is using up more than 90% of my processor.
> Can I safely kill this process?

If MySQL is running and you have real databases (DB with data you dont
want risk corruption to) use: mysqladmin processlist -p
to see who/what is the problem..
To kill mysql use: mysqladmin shutdown -p
Look for your mysql error logs, if it shows nothing edit my.cnf
under [mysqld] put log=mysqld.log then restart mysql

tail -f mysqld.log (usually this is in same directory as databases,
/var/lib/mysql but who knows where it is in ubuntu as i dont use their
versions i use source.)

If you are runnig a database, only in extreme emergencies do you ever use
kill/killall on mysql or its processes, to kill a runaway mysql process
use mysqladmin kill <PID_of_mysql_child>

--
Res

-Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers