Old 12-30-2007, 08:47 AM
norman

Default convert vcd to jpeg

My son has been given a VCD of photographs taken at his wedding and
would like me to extract a selection of images for him. I have tried to
find out, by a bit of research, to see if this can be done but have not
been successful. I would be grateful if some kind and knowledgeable
person is able to point me in the right direction.

Norman

Old 12-30-2007, 06:05 PM
Kent Paul Dolan

Norman,

No advice as to how to convert vcd to jpeg,
just a comment that JPEG _really_ trashes
image quality; even at a "95" JPEG quality setting,
artifacts are often clearly visible. If you have the
disk space available, a lossless compression scheme
like PNG is much superior.

xanthian.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:25 PM
norman

> No advice as to how to convert vcd to jpeg,
> just a comment that JPEG _really_ trashes
> image quality; even at a "95" JPEG quality setting,
> artifacts are often clearly visible. If you have the
> disk space available, a lossless compression scheme
> like PNG is much superior.

Depending on what you want to do with the image I am sure you are
correct. Tiff is another very good lossless compression process. I just
said JPEG like some people call vacuum cleaners hoovers.

Norman

Old 12-30-2007, 10:32 PM
James Takac

On Monday 31 December 2007 05:05:13 Kent Paul Dolan wrote:
> Norman,
>
> No advice as to how to convert vcd to jpeg,
> just a comment that JPEG _really_ trashes
> image quality; even at a "95" JPEG quality setting,
> artifacts are often clearly visible. If you have the
> disk space available, a lossless compression scheme
> like PNG is much superior.
>
> xanthian.

Hi Xanthian

Well, strictly speaking a cd full of photos or such aint a vcd as vcd stands
for video cd. First I'd ask Norman what format are the photo's in? Most I see
are already in jpg format

James

Old 12-31-2007, 07:50 AM
norman

> Well, strictly speaking a cd full of photos or such aint a vcd as vcd stands
> for video cd. First I'd ask Norman what format are the photo's in? Most I see
> are already in jpg format

I believe they appear to be .dat files.

Norman

Old 12-31-2007, 08:20 AM
James Takac

On Monday 31 December 2007 18:50:07 norman wrote:
> > Well, strictly speaking a cd full of photos or such aint a vcd as vcd
> > stands for video cd. First I'd ask Norman what format are the photo's in?
> > Most I see are already in jpg format
>
> I believe they appear to be .dat files.
>
> Norman

Hi Norman

Sounds likely you do have a vcd then. Obviously you put them in the dvd player
and they play? Each .dat file is basically an mpeg-1 file which you should be
able to load into a video editor (avidemux is one such that I use in which
you can save frames as bmp or jpg files. Maybe that's the sort of thing
you're looking for?

James