-   -   Problems having Bluetooth device recognized (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/25012-problems-having-bluetooth-device-recognized.html)

"Leo Noordhuizen" 12-30-2007 08:14 AM

Problems having Bluetooth device recognized

Im running UBUNTU 7.10 on a ASUS notebook with built-in bluetooth, which recognized my smartphone fine.
However when trying to connect a sitecom BT headphone and another BT earphone the device is seen (as headset 00-09-DD-70-6B-9F) but when I attempt to connect* I get the error:

"OBEX://[00-09-DD-70-6B-9F] is not a valid location. Please check the spelling and try again"

I wonder what I am missing.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Leo Noordhuizen
Netherlands

Colin Murphy 12-30-2007 11:23 AM

On Sunday 30 December 2007 09:14:53 Leo Noordhuizen wrote:

> However when trying to connect a sitecom BT headphone and another BT
> earphone the device is seen (as headset 00-09-DD-70-6B-9F) but when I
> attempt to connect I get the error:
>
> "OBEX://[00-09-DD-70-6B-9F] is not a valid location. Please check the
> spelling and try again"
>
> I wonder what I am missing.

I am still trying to get to grips with bluetooth audio myself, but I
understand that this 'error' message is just a product of the OBEX server
which you probably have running at the same time. OBEX deals with file
transfers, so is probably good for your phone, from which you can copy files
to and from, but not so for an audio device. The message is a warning that
you can't transfer files to that aduio device, which is what you'ld expect,
err, once you have come to expect it. I lost a day trying to solve this same
problem until I realised it wasn't THE problem.

I am still having problems with my bluetooth audio though. I am struggling
with a real basic first though; I can't find any log files that deal with the
bluetooth connection, for bluez anyway. I am trying Blueman as a connection
tool and the best 'log' I have so far is the terminal output when I run this
connection manager.

Where else should I look to get more information about what is going wrong
with my bluetooth connection?

--
Colin@spudulike.me.uk
Gotta go, things to be, people to do, stuff to, err, stuff.

Marius Gedminas 12-30-2007 04:31 PM

On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 10:14:53AM +0100, Leo Noordhuizen wrote:
> Im running UBUNTU 7.10 on a ASUS notebook with built-in bluetooth, which
> recognized my smartphone fine.
> However when trying to connect a sitecom BT headphone and another BT
> earphone the device is seen (as headset 00-09-DD-70-6B-9F) but when I
> attempt to connect I get the error:
>
> "OBEX://[00-09-DD-70-6B-9F] is not a valid location. Please check the
> spelling and try again"
>
> I wonder what I am missing.

My guess is that the gnome-vfs-obexftp package is not installed.

Marius Gedminas
--
Thus spake the master programmer:
"After three days without programming, life becomes meaningless."