Old 02-22-2009, 01:18 AM
Charlie Dorff

Default How you use thumb drive to install Ubuntu?

Hi...
I was wondering if someone could please explain how to download a copy of Ubuntu onto a thumb drive? How much space does the thumb drive need? I will be using a windows machine. Thank you.
Charlie

Old 02-22-2009, 01:31 AM
Fajar Priyanto

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Charlie Dorff <cy41169@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi...
> I was wondering if someone could please explain how to download a copy of
> Ubuntu onto a thumb drive? How much space does the thumb drive need? I will
> be using a windows machine. Thank you.
> Charlie

Hi Charlie,
Use the ordinary CD iso first. Run it live, and you'll see in System >
Administration > Make a USB startup disk.
CMIIW

Old 02-22-2009, 02:49 AM
scott

Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Charlie Dorff <cy41169@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hi...
>> I was wondering if someone could please explain how to download a copy of
>> Ubuntu onto a thumb drive? How much space does the thumb drive need? I will
>> be using a windows machine. Thank you.
>> Charlie
>
> Hi Charlie,
> Use the ordinary CD iso first. Run it live, and you'll see in System >
> Administration > Make a USB startup disk.
> CMIIW

I think the OP is asking how to install Ubuntu with a thumb drive.

Take a look here:>
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

Old 02-22-2009, 02:56 AM
scott

Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Charlie Dorff <cy41169@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hi...
>> I was wondering if someone could please explain how to download a copy of
>> Ubuntu onto a thumb drive? How much space does the thumb drive need? I will
>> be using a windows machine. Thank you.
>> Charlie
>
> Hi Charlie,
> Use the ordinary CD iso first. Run it live, and you'll see in System >
> Administration > Make a USB startup disk.
> CMIIW

Actually, from Windows, see here:>
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-ubuntu-704-persistent-install/

It's for 7.04, but should work for other versions as well.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Daevid Vincent

This might be of interest: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Old 02-24-2009, 01:21 AM
Joe Burgess

Charlie Dorff wrote:
> Hi...
> I was wondering if someone could please explain how to download a copy of Ubuntu onto a thumb drive? How much space does the thumb drive need? I will be using a windows machine. Thank you.
> Charlie

Ya just use unetbootin, it is incredibly straight forward.

--Joe