Old 02-21-2009, 11:51 PM
Rick Bragg

Default Asus P5QL Pro Nightmare

Hi,

I have a brand new Asus P5QL Pro, and I have been trying to get it
running with ubuntu-8.10-desktop-amd64 and there are very strange
problems. It seems I can NEVER reboot the from the Ubuntu CD 2 times in
a row, but if I wait a few hours after shutting down, then I can reboot
with the CD! No changes at all, just wait a few hours! Also, I want to
use a (software) raid 10 array as my main disk. So I use cfdisk to
create a single partition with the FD type for each of my 4 disks, then
I install mdadm, and as soon as I try to create the array with the
command "mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=10
--raid-devices=4 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1" it says that
"mdadm: another array by this name is already running"! How could this
be already running?!? I booted from the CD! It seems I can't create a
raid array at all. and it can never reboot without waiting for hours
unplugged. This makes no sense at all.

Any Clues?

Thanks
Rick

believed to be clean.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Norberto Bensa

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Rick Bragg <rbragg@gmnet.net> wrote:
> Any Clues?

Have you tried reboot=b in your kernel cmdline?

About mdadm, I have no idea. I gave up on soft-raids long time ago.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:31 AM
Rashkae

Rick Bragg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a brand new Asus P5QL Pro, and I have been trying to get it
> running with ubuntu-8.10-desktop-amd64 and there are very strange
> problems. It seems I can NEVER reboot the from the Ubuntu CD 2 times in
> a row, but if I wait a few hours after shutting down, then I can reboot
> with the CD! No changes at all, just wait a few hours! Also, I want to
> use a (software) raid 10 array as my main disk. So I use cfdisk to
> create a single partition with the FD type for each of my 4 disks, then
> I install mdadm, and as soon as I try to create the array with the
> command "mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=10
> --raid-devices=4 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1" it says that
> "mdadm: another array by this name is already running"! How could this
> be already running?!? I booted from the CD! It seems I can't create a
> raid array at all. and it can never reboot without waiting for hours
> unplugged. This makes no sense at all.
>
> Any Clues?
>
> Thanks
> Rick

You have some seriously mis-behaving hardware there somewhere.

You can speed up that reboot problem by discharging the power to
motherboard and devices. Shut down the computer. Turn off physical
power (either from the switch on your power supply itself, or if your
power supply is one of those that tries to skimp 10c on a switch, unplug
it) press the power button on PC, you should see the LED flash on for
half a second before it dies. At that point, the power still residual
in the Capacitors should be spent and you should be able to re-power the
computer and the misbehaving chip, whether it be on Mobo or some other
device, should reboot.

Most boot cd's will rebuild raid arrays. That's usually considered a
good thing for boot cd's to do. Try cat /proc/mdstat to see which
arrays are active and what devices they consist of.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:33 AM
Rick Bragg

On Sat, 2009-02-21 at 20:31 -0500, Rashkae wrote:
> Rick Bragg wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a brand new Asus P5QL Pro, and I have been trying to get it
> > running with ubuntu-8.10-desktop-amd64 and there are very strange
> > problems. It seems I can NEVER reboot the from the Ubuntu CD 2 times in
> > a row, but if I wait a few hours after shutting down, then I can reboot
> > with the CD! No changes at all, just wait a few hours! Also, I want to
> > use a (software) raid 10 array as my main disk. So I use cfdisk to
> > create a single partition with the FD type for each of my 4 disks, then
> > I install mdadm, and as soon as I try to create the array with the
> > command "mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=10
> > --raid-devices=4 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1" it says that
> > "mdadm: another array by this name is already running"! How could this
> > be already running?!? I booted from the CD! It seems I can't create a
> > raid array at all. and it can never reboot without waiting for hours
> > unplugged. This makes no sense at all.
> >
> > Any Clues?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Rick
> >

> You have some seriously mis-behaving hardware there somewhere.
>
> You can speed up that reboot problem by discharging the power to
> motherboard and devices. Shut down the computer. Turn off physical
> power (either from the switch on your power supply itself, or if your
> power supply is one of those that tries to skimp 10c on a switch, unplug
> it) press the power button on PC, you should see the LED flash on for
> half a second before it dies. At that point, the power still residual
> in the Capacitors should be spent and you should be able to re-power the
> computer and the misbehaving chip, whether it be on Mobo or some other
> device, should reboot.
>

> Most boot cd's will rebuild raid arrays. That's usually considered a
> good thing for boot cd's to do. Try cat /proc/mdstat to see which
> arrays are active and what devices they consist of.
>
> --

Thanks for your help.

I always unplug the computer altogether. The problem is not just during
"reboot" it is that it won't "boot" at all unless it has been unplugged
for hours, or if I pop out the cmos bat for a second. This is
consistent and makes no sense at all. Once the computer is up and
running on the CD, it will always takes hours before it will boot a
second time after a shutdown and total power unplug. This is well
beyond the period of any caps holding a charge. The only way I can get
it to boot right away after a shutdown is if I take out the cmos bat for
a few seconds, then I have to reset the bios.

ahh!
Rick

believed to be clean.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:57 AM
NoOp

On 02/21/2009 07:33 PM, Rick Bragg wrote:

> Thanks for your help.
>
> I always unplug the computer altogether. The problem is not just during
> "reboot" it is that it won't "boot" at all unless it has been unplugged
> for hours, or if I pop out the cmos bat for a second. This is
> consistent and makes no sense at all. Once the computer is up and
> running on the CD, it will always takes hours before it will boot a
> second time after a shutdown and total power unplug. This is well
> beyond the period of any caps holding a charge. The only way I can get
> it to boot right away after a shutdown is if I take out the cmos bat for
> a few seconds, then I have to reset the bios.
>
> ahh!
> Rick

That sounds exactly like the IBM Thinkpad T21 that I use for a
doorstop... it has the infamous "Blink of Death" syndrome:

Apparently there are a couple of particular types of step-down-voltage
regulators 'remember' an undervoltage condition - Max1632:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=48835&start=150
http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=asus+%2B"blink+of+death"

I wonder if your system is experiencing a similar BOD.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:33 AM
NoOp

On 02/21/2009 07:57 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 02/21/2009 07:33 PM, Rick Bragg wrote:
>

>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> I always unplug the computer altogether. The problem is not just during
>> "reboot" it is that it won't "boot" at all unless it has been unplugged
>> for hours, or if I pop out the cmos bat for a second. This is
>> consistent and makes no sense at all. Once the computer is up and
>> running on the CD, it will always takes hours before it will boot a
>> second time after a shutdown and total power unplug. This is well
>> beyond the period of any caps holding a charge. The only way I can get
>> it to boot right away after a shutdown is if I take out the cmos bat for
>> a few seconds, then I have to reset the bios.
>>
>> ahh!
>> Rick
>
> That sounds exactly like the IBM Thinkpad T21 that I use for a
> doorstop... it has the infamous "Blink of Death" syndrome:
>
> Apparently there are a couple of particular types of step-down-voltage
> regulators 'remember' an undervoltage condition - Max1632:
>
> http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=48835&start=150
> http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=asus+%2B"blink+of+death"
>
> I wonder if your system is experiencing a similar BOD.

Possibly related, but supposed to be fixed:

Old 02-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Alex Katebi

I have the same mother board and I have no issues like that. One thing you should change is the setting of the SATA Hard disk. I heard there were some issues with some of the optional settings in the BIOS. You may have to upgrade your BIOS too.