Old 02-21-2009, 10:26 PM
jeff

Default virtual screen sizes

I'm running ubuntu on a lenovo s10 netbook with a 1024 by 600 screen.
Many GUI dialogs are too long and I can't see or get to the bottom to
click the OK button, etc. How do I setup a 1024 by 768 or something
bigger that I can scroll around in to see all? I've tried to add other
screens to xorg.conf but it didn't work.

Thanks.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 06:26:21PM -0500, jeff wrote:
> I'm running ubuntu on a lenovo s10 netbook with a 1024 by 600 screen.
> Many GUI dialogs are too long and I can't see or get to the bottom to
> click the OK button, etc. How do I setup a 1024 by 768 or something
> bigger that I can scroll around in to see all? I've tried to add other
> screens to xorg.conf but it didn't work.

The support for virtual screens that you can pan around was dropped with
the introduction of XRandR 1.2; it'll be back in the next X.org version
(to be released with Ubuntu 9.04, if I'm not mistaken).

For now you'll have to settle for using a smaller font and, perhaps,
learning to move the window by alt+dragging after setting the option
that lets you move the title bar above the top of the screen. It's
settable somewhere in the advanced Compiz settings manager

Marius Gedminas
--
If the code and the comments disagree, then both are probably wrong.
-- Norm Schryer