-   -   RAW Images (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/250012-raw-images.html)

NoOp 02-21-2009 07:39 PM

RAW Images

On 02/21/2009 12:30 PM, Jim Smith wrote:
> I just got a Canon digital camera which can save images as RAW format
> images. My question regards using Ubuntu software to manipulate these
> images. GIMP won't do it at present. Is there a plugin for GIMP or
> another image manipulator available? I'm running Intrepid on a Sony laptop.
>
> Thank you
>
> Jim

You can give RAWstudio a try:
http://rawstudio.org/
https://launchpad.net/~rawstudio/+archive/ppa

Also see:
<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2BRAW>

NoOp 02-21-2009 07:45 PM

RAW Images

On 02/21/2009 12:39 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 02/21/2009 12:30 PM, Jim Smith wrote:
>> I just got a Canon digital camera which can save images as RAW format
>> images. My question regards using Ubuntu software to manipulate these
>> images. GIMP won't do it at present. Is there a plugin for GIMP or
>> another image manipulator available? I'm running Intrepid on a Sony laptop.
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Jim
>>

> You can give RAWstudio a try:
> http://rawstudio.org/
> https://launchpad.net/~rawstudio/+archive/ppa

Sorry, forgot to mention that you can get 1.0-1 directly from the
universe repos:

sudo apt-get install rawstudio

ref:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/graphics/rawstudio

NoOp 02-21-2009 07:50 PM

RAW Images

On 02/21/2009 12:30 PM, Jim Smith wrote:
> I just got a Canon digital camera which can save images as RAW format
> images. My question regards using Ubuntu software to manipulate these
> images. GIMP won't do it at present. Is there a plugin for GIMP or
> another image manipulator available? I'm running Intrepid on a Sony laptop.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/gimp-ufraw

sudo apt-get install gimp-ufraw

Jim Smith 02-21-2009 08:06 PM

RAW Images

NoOp wrote:
> On 02/21/2009 12:39 PM, NoOp wrote:
>
>> On 02/21/2009 12:30 PM, Jim Smith wrote:
>>
>>> I just got a Canon digital camera which can save images as RAW format
>>> images. My question regards using Ubuntu software to manipulate these
>>> images. GIMP won't do it at present. Is there a plugin for GIMP or
>>> another image manipulator available? I'm running Intrepid on a Sony laptop.
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>

>> You can give RAWstudio a try:
>> http://rawstudio.org/
>> https://launchpad.net/~rawstudio/+archive/ppa
>>

> Sorry, forgot to mention that you can get 1.0-1 directly from the
> universe repos:
>
> sudo apt-get install rawstudio
>
> ref:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/graphics/rawstudio
>

>> Also see:
>> <http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2BRAW>

Thanks, looks like it will do the job.
Jim

--
Its only a hobby, only a hobby, only a hobby, only a ho............

Jim Smith 02-21-2009 08:44 PM

RAW Images

Jim Smith wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

>>> You can give RAWstudio a try:
>>> http://rawstudio.org/
>>> https://launchpad.net/~rawstudio/+archive/ppa
>>>

>> Sorry, forgot to mention that you can get 1.0-1 directly from the
>> universe repos:
>>
>> sudo apt-get install rawstudio
>>
>> ref:
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/graphics/rawstudio
>>

>>> Also see:
>>> <http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2BRAW>
>>>

> Thanks, looks like it will do the job.
> Jim

I might also try Lightzone (commercial software, Linux version) if I
could remember how to convert .tar.gz to .deb.

Jim

--
Its only a hobby, only a hobby, only a hobby, only a ho............

John Mark Walker 02-21-2009 08:59 PM

RAW Images

Picasa will do it (not free)

But digikam will do it, and so will the Koffice image program, Krita.

John Mark Walker
Community Manager, openCollabNet
http://www.collab.net/

NoOp 02-21-2009 09:02 PM

RAW Images

On 02/21/2009 01:44 PM, Jim Smith wrote:
> Jim Smith wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:

>>> Sorry, forgot to mention that you can get 1.0-1 directly from the
>>> universe repos:
>>>
>>> sudo apt-get install rawstudio
>>>
>>> ref:
>>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/graphics/rawstudio

>> Thanks, looks like it will do the job.
>> Jim
>>

> I might also try Lightzone (commercial software, Linux version) if I
> could remember how to convert .tar.gz to .deb.
>
> Jim

http://www.rawtherapee.com/?mitem=2
http://www.rawtherapee.com/?mitem=3

You might find this of interest:
<http://www.ubuntuproductivity.com/journal/ubuntu/07/2008/ubuntu-photo-manager-experiment/>

norman 02-22-2009 06:29 AM

RAW Images

> > Thanks, looks like it will do the job.
> > Jim
> >

> I might also try Lightzone (commercial software, Linux version) if I
> could remember how to convert .tar.gz to .deb.

If you are prepared to look at commercial software I have used Bibble
Lite and can recommend it. There may be a free trial available from
their website. Nowadays, I mostly use UFRaw.

Norman

norman 02-22-2009 06:34 AM

RAW Images

> Picasa will do it (not free)
>
> But digikam will do it, and so will the Koffice image program, Krita.

So will F-Spot, from which you can transfer to UFRaw and thence to Gimp.
There are a couple of useful videos on www.meetthegimp.org episodes 86
and 87.

Hope this helps

Norman

Jim Smith 02-22-2009 05:21 PM

RAW Images

norman wrote:
>> Picasa will do it (not free)
>>
>> But digikam will do it, and so will the Koffice image program, Krita.
>>

> So will F-Spot, from which you can transfer to UFRaw and thence to Gimp.
> There are a couple of useful videos on www.meetthegimp.org episodes 86
> and 87.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Norman

Thanks for both posts. I have been using digital cameras for about 5 yrs
now but this is the first digital SLR and the first to do RAW images. As
I am retiring in June I am looking forward to lots more time to pursue
photography and to learn the software. I will get a good start with
Digikam, Ufraw and RAWstudio and will move to commercial software only
if I have to. Thanks to you and everyone else on the list who answered.

Jim

--
Its only a hobby, only a hobby, only a hobby, only a ho............