Old 02-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Gilles Gravier

Default Simplest way to watch TV (DVB-T USB card) on Ubuntu?

Hi gang!

So... I'm looking for the simplest way, on a Ubuntu laptop to plug a USB
DVB-T card, and watch TV from it. What's the minimal fuss solution? Not
looking for something fancy that will turn the machine into a full
fledged media server (though if that's what it takes, well... I'll
resort to that).

On Windoze, most of these cards come with a driver and a piece of
software that does TV viewing (and time-shifting and hard disk
recording, which I don't really need - but will accept if it comes with
the Ubuntu way as well)

Thanks in advance,
Gilles.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Aart Koelewijn

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 19:17:33 +0100, Gilles Gravier wrote:

> Hi gang!
>
> So... I'm looking for the simplest way, on a Ubuntu laptop to plug a USB
> DVB-T card, and watch TV from it. What's the minimal fuss solution? Not
> looking for something fancy that will turn the machine into a full
> fledged media server (though if that's what it takes, well... I'll
> resort to that).
>
> On Windoze, most of these cards come with a driver and a piece of
> software that does TV viewing (and time-shifting and hard disk
> recording, which I don't really need - but will accept if it comes with
> the Ubuntu way as well)
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Gilles.

I have put a Hauppage WinTV Nova-TD USB dongle into the USB-port of my
laptop and can now watch TV on my boat with Ubuntu 8.04. I suppose 8.10
will work too, but since I upgraded the weather hasn't been nice enough
to stay on the boat. I remember I had to do a little bit of configuring,
read a bit of documentation and download a file with all channels which
have to be scanned over here, but can now watch all free digital
channels. I don't remember what I did exactly, but as far as I can
remember it mostly had to do with something called v4l-dvb. Looking at
the documentation for that will be helpfull.

Aart

Old 02-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Markus Schönhaber

Gilles Gravier:

> So... I'm looking for the simplest way, on a Ubuntu laptop to plug a USB
> DVB-T card, and watch TV from it. What's the minimal fuss solution? Not
> looking for something fancy that will turn the machine into a full
> fledged media server (though if that's what it takes, well... I'll
> resort to that).

Well, first of all, a DVB-T USB card might be useful ;-)
If you already have one that works - fine. If not
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_USB_Devices
among other sources can help you at making a decision which one to buy.

> On Windoze, most of these cards come with a driver and a piece of
> software that does TV viewing (and time-shifting and hard disk
> recording, which I don't really need - but will accept if it comes with
> the Ubuntu way as well)

I don't know of a card that comes with a software running under Ubuntu/Linux.
But there's kaffeine which I use for watching TV on Ubuntu.

Regards
mks