Old 02-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Bret Busby

Default Opera Crash leaves me a little uneasy

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009, Wade Smart wrote:

> 20090221 1003 GMT-5
>
> About ten minutes ago I was on a news site. I had clicked on a link but
> nothing was happening. I waited and waiting; stopped the link and
> reloaded - nothing. Then all the tabs I had up were doing the same
> thing. I turned off the browser and restarted. First thing that popped
> up was a error box stating where to find plugins. Apparently it didnt
> know where any where. I click browse to where the plugins were. The
> browser start but lost all my pages it usually saves upon restart.
>
> Even though I have shown it where the three locations are for plugins -
> opera, mozilla and flash non free, I cant play flash or audio files.
>
> I have since noticed a few other problems: first, all pages load very
> slow - if at all - though they do load in FF. When it is loading a page,
> my entire system gets slow. I had the window manager open navigating to
> the location where the plugins are and it was running very very slow.
>
> Because I have had several other problems lately this has really got me
> feeling a bit scared --- that my system has totally become unstable.
>
> Wade

The link wasn't to a PDF file, was it?

In the last 24 hours, I have receivd a CERT advisory regarding PDF files
and Adobe Reader, and malicious code.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
A Trilogy In Four Parts",
written by Douglas Adams,
published by Pan Books, 1992

.................................................. ..

Old 02-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Wade Smart

[...]

Registered Linux User: #480675
Linux since June 2005

Old 02-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Bret Busby

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009, Wade Smart wrote:

> Bret Busby wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 Feb 2009, Wade Smart wrote:
>>
>>> 20090221 1003 GMT-5
>>>
>>> About ten minutes ago I was on a news site. I had clicked on a link but
>>> nothing was happening. I waited and waiting; stopped the link and
>>> reloaded - nothing. Then all the tabs I had up were doing the same
>>> thing. I turned off the browser and restarted. First thing that popped
>>> up was a error box stating where to find plugins. Apparently it didnt
>>> know where any where. I click browse to where the plugins were. The
>>> browser start but lost all my pages it usually saves upon restart.
>>>
>>> Even though I have shown it where the three locations are for plugins -
>>> opera, mozilla and flash non free, I cant play flash or audio files.
>>>
>>> I have since noticed a few other problems: first, all pages load very
>>> slow - if at all - though they do load in FF. When it is loading a page,
>>> my entire system gets slow. I had the window manager open navigating to
>>> the location where the plugins are and it was running very very slow.
>>>
>>> Because I have had several other problems lately this has really got me
>>> feeling a bit scared --- that my system has totally become unstable.
>>>
>>> Wade
>>>

>> The link wasn't to a PDF file, was it?
>>
>> In the last 24 hours, I have receivd a CERT advisory regarding PDF files
>> and Adobe Reader, and malicious code.
>>
>> --
>> Bret Busby
>> Armadale
>> West Australia
>>
>> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
>> you'll know what the answer means."
>> - Deep Thought,
>> Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
>> "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
>> A Trilogy In Four Parts",
>> written by Douglas Adams,
>> published by Pan Books, 1992
>>
>> .................................................. ..
>>

> 20090221 1021 GMT-5
>
> No. It was a link to a article within the news site.
> Now, the area that I clicked on was a flash app so maybe that had
> something to do with it.
>
> Wade

Ah.

Can't help you there, sorry.

I avoid flash, like the plague.

Too many past CERT advisories. Risky stuff.

Maybe you have found a new "vulnerability"?

Old 02-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Wade Smart

Old 02-21-2009, 03:49 PM
Wade Smart

Bret Busby wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Feb 2009, Wade Smart wrote:
>
>> Bret Busby wrote:

>>> The link wasn't to a PDF file, was it?
>>>
>>> In the last 24 hours, I have receivd a CERT advisory regarding PDF files
>>> and Adobe Reader, and malicious code.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bret Busby
>>> Armadale
>>> West Australia
>>>
>>> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
>>> you'll know what the answer means."
>>> - Deep Thought,
>>> Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
>>> "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
>>> A Trilogy In Four Parts",
>>> written by Douglas Adams,
>>> published by Pan Books, 1992
>>>
>>> .................................................. ..
>>>
>> 20090221 1021 GMT-5
>>
>> No. It was a link to a article within the news site.
>> Now, the area that I clicked on was a flash app so maybe that had
>> something to do with it.
>>
>> Wade
>>

> Ah.
>
> Can't help you there, sorry.
>
> I avoid flash, like the plague.
>
> Too many past CERT advisories. Risky stuff.
>
> Maybe you have found a new "vulnerability"?
>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia
>
> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
> you'll know what the answer means."
> - Deep Thought,
> Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
> "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
> A Trilogy In Four Parts",
> written by Douglas Adams,
> published by Pan Books, 1992

20090221 1048 GMT-5

I did notice that on FF with boinc turned off that my cpu usage hadnt
dropped. I think the page was constantly reloading to add new news
updates and it just chews up resources. I dumped opera cache and that
seems to have fixed problems.

Wade

Old 02-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Wade Smart