FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-21-2009, 05:33 AM
"Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)"
 
Default install ubuntu from a running Linux system

Hi,
What is the procedure, nowadays, to install a 64 bit Ubuntu from a
running system?
It's a dedicated server, which can boot a "rescue" system.
The hosting solution provides only 32 bit OSes and I want to install a
64 bit one (no matter it's worth or not, it's just a wish).

From the "rescue" mode of the server, I can chroot to the main hard drive.

Searching with "install ubuntu from live system" only gives me how to
install from a Live CD.

Thanks for ny tips.

--
Chef de projet chez Vectoris
http://www.google.com/search?q=mihamina+rakotomandimby
System: xUbuntu 8.10 with almost all from package install

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Charlie Kravetz
 
Default install ubuntu from a running Linux system

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:33:12 +0300
"Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)" <mihamina@lab.vectoris.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
> What is the procedure, nowadays, to install a 64 bit Ubuntu from a
> running system?
> It's a dedicated server, which can boot a "rescue" system.
> The hosting solution provides only 32 bit OSes and I want to install a
> 64 bit one (no matter it's worth or not, it's just a wish).
>
> From the "rescue" mode of the server, I can chroot to the main hard
> drive.
>
> Searching with "install ubuntu from live system" only gives me how to
> install from a Live CD.
>
> Thanks for ny tips.
>

I think you will have to do a fresh installation with the 64-bit image.
I do not believe you can upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.

You can use the server edition, without a GUI, by downloading the ISO:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
Be sure to check the 64-bit version box.

Good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914 [http://counter.li.org/]
Never let anyone steal your DREAM. [http://keepingdreams.com]

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-21-2009, 06:27 PM
NoOp
 
Default install ubuntu from a running Linux system

On 02/20/2009 10:33 PM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> Hi,
> What is the procedure, nowadays, to install a 64 bit Ubuntu from a
> running system?
> It's a dedicated server, which can boot a "rescue" system.
> The hosting solution provides only 32 bit OSes and I want to install a
> 64 bit one (no matter it's worth or not, it's just a wish).
>
> From the "rescue" mode of the server, I can chroot to the main hard drive.
>
> Searching with "install ubuntu from live system" only gives me how to
> install from a Live CD.
>
> Thanks for ny tips.
>

Perhaps these will help:
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/installation-guide/amd64/index.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/installation-guide/amd64/linux-upgrade.html




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-23-2009, 07:35 AM
"Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)"
 
Default install ubuntu from a running Linux system

Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> I think you will have to do a fresh installation with the 64-bit image.
> I do not believe you can upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.

I found a too: debootstrap.
It seems to allow specifying the arch to be installed.

--
Chef de projet chez Vectoris
http://www.google.com/search?q=mihamina+rakotomandimby
System: xUbuntu 8.10 with almost all from package install

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-23-2009, 07:46 PM
NoOp
 
Default install ubuntu from a running Linux system

On 02/23/2009 12:35 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> Charlie Kravetz wrote:
>> I think you will have to do a fresh installation with the 64-bit image.
>> I do not believe you can upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.
>
> I found a too: debootstrap.
> It seems to allow specifying the arch to be installed.
>

Oh... so you must have read the link that I provided to you:
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/installation-guide/amd64/linux-upgrade.html
:-)




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:38 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org