-   -   install ubuntu from a running Linux system (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/249714-install-ubuntu-running-linux-system.html)

"Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)" 02-21-2009 05:33 AM

install ubuntu from a running Linux system

Hi,
What is the procedure, nowadays, to install a 64 bit Ubuntu from a
running system?
It's a dedicated server, which can boot a "rescue" system.
The hosting solution provides only 32 bit OSes and I want to install a
64 bit one (no matter it's worth or not, it's just a wish).

From the "rescue" mode of the server, I can chroot to the main hard drive.

Searching with "install ubuntu from live system" only gives me how to
install from a Live CD.

Thanks for ny tips.

--
Chef de projet chez Vectoris
http://www.google.com/search?q=mihamina+rakotomandimby

Charlie Kravetz 02-21-2009 01:36 PM

install ubuntu from a running Linux system

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:33:12 +0300
"Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)" <mihamina@lab.vectoris.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
> What is the procedure, nowadays, to install a 64 bit Ubuntu from a
> running system?
> It's a dedicated server, which can boot a "rescue" system.
> The hosting solution provides only 32 bit OSes and I want to install a
> 64 bit one (no matter it's worth or not, it's just a wish).
>
> From the "rescue" mode of the server, I can chroot to the main hard
> drive.
>
> Searching with "install ubuntu from live system" only gives me how to
> install from a Live CD.
>
> Thanks for ny tips.

I think you will have to do a fresh installation with the 64-bit image.
I do not believe you can upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.

You can use the server edition, without a GUI, by downloading the ISO:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
Be sure to check the 64-bit version box.

Good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz

NoOp 02-21-2009 06:27 PM

On 02/20/2009 10:33 PM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> Hi,
> What is the procedure, nowadays, to install a 64 bit Ubuntu from a
> running system?
> It's a dedicated server, which can boot a "rescue" system.
> The hosting solution provides only 32 bit OSes and I want to install a
> 64 bit one (no matter it's worth or not, it's just a wish).
>
> From the "rescue" mode of the server, I can chroot to the main hard drive.
>
> Searching with "install ubuntu from live system" only gives me how to
> install from a Live CD.
>
> Thanks for ny tips.

Perhaps these will help:
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/installation-guide/amd64/index.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/installation-guide/amd64/linux-upgrade.html

"Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)" 02-23-2009 07:35 AM

Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> I think you will have to do a fresh installation with the 64-bit image.
> I do not believe you can upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.

I found a too: debootstrap.
It seems to allow specifying the arch to be installed.

NoOp 02-23-2009 07:46 PM

On 02/23/2009 12:35 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> Charlie Kravetz wrote:
>> I think you will have to do a fresh installation with the 64-bit image.
>> I do not believe you can upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.
>
> I found a too: debootstrap.
> It seems to allow specifying the arch to be installed.

Oh... so you must have read the link that I provided to you:
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/installation-guide/amd64/linux-upgrade.html
:-)