Old 02-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Alain Muls

Default installing transmission on a server

Hi

I want to install transmission on a ubuntu server accessible by a web
interface. I found that it was possible with the clutch package, which I
installed and started as a service.

Accessing the server by http://serverip/default/clutch or
http://serverip/clutch did not work. When I tried to access
http://serverip/transmission, I got a web-page with on the top left a button
"Open" which allows to upload the torrent file. I selected my local torrent
file and pressed the upload button, but in stead of uploading I got an answer
from the server whether I wanted to download index.php from the server.

Does anyone has experience about how to set up transmission on a headless
ubuntu server?

Tx/Alain

Old 02-20-2009, 09:51 PM
steve

Old 02-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Carl Flippin

You want to install transmission-cli. It includes a server called, if I
recall correctly, transmission-daemon. If you run that, you will get a
nice web interface. It's all covered in the man page.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Brian McKee

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> wrote:
> I want to install transmission on a ubuntu server accessible by a web
> interface. I found that it was possible with the clutch package, which I
> installed and started as a service.
>
> Accessing the server by http://serverip/default/clutch or
> http://serverip/clutch did not work. When I tried to access
> http://serverip/transmission, I got a web-page with on the top left a button
> "Open" which allows to upload the torrent file. I selected my local torrent
> file and pressed the upload button, but in stead of uploading I got an answer
> from the server whether I wanted to download index.php from the server.
>
> Does anyone has experience about how to set up transmission on a headless
> ubuntu server?

I just tried this myself (as I'd like to do the same thing on my server.)

I just installed transmission-cli and clutch, and I have a good
looking GUI at http://host/clutch (not transmission as you reported)

I also get that same download php issue :-(
I'll poke at this some more after I get my server updated and other
stuff out of the way. Let me know if you get a solution!

Brian

Old 02-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Brian McKee

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> wrote:
>> I want to install transmission on a ubuntu server accessible by a web
>> interface. {snip} but in stead of uploading I got an answer
>> from the server whether I wanted to download index.php from the server.
>
> I also get that same download php issue :-(
> I'll poke at this some more after I get my server updated and other
> stuff out of the way. Let me know if you get a solution!

Got it.

Run 'sudo a2enmod php5' on the server to enable php.
Then restart apache 'sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload'

PHP is installed but not activated by default it seems.

Brian

PS Thanks for poking me on this issue - I really like that web GUI so far!

Old 02-21-2009, 02:58 PM
Brian McKee

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> wrote:
>>> I want to install transmission on a ubuntu server accessible by a web
>>> interface. {snip} but in stead of uploading I got an answer
>>> from the server whether I wanted to download index.php from the server.
>>
>> I also get that same download php issue :-(
>> I'll poke at this some more after I get my server updated and other
>> stuff out of the way. Let me know if you get a solution!
>
> Run 'sudo a2enmod php5' on the server to enable php.
> Then restart apache 'sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload'

OK - now you tell me how the heck I set the preferences ! That's not
working for me :-(

Brian

Old 02-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Alain Muls

On Saturday 21 February 2009 17:11:04 ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com
wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com>
wrote:
> >> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be>
> >> wrote:
> >>

> >> I also get that same download php issue :-(
> >> I'll poke at this some more after I get my server updated and other
> >> stuff out of the way. *Let me know if you get a solution!
> >
> > Run 'sudo a2enmod php5' on the server to enable php.
> > Then restart apache 'sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload'
>
> OK - now you tell me how the heck I set the preferences ! *That's not
> working for me :-(
>
> Brian

Hi Brian

I decided to restart on my server and I removed everything I tried to install
that day:

sudo apt-get remove --purge apache2 apache2-doc mysql-server php5 libapache2-
mod-php5 php5-mysql

Then today I installed transmission-cli and clutch, loaded up
http://server/clutch and everything is working. I am downloading from firefox
on my laptop to the server. I really do _not_ know whet I did differently with
regard to previous install.

Hope it will also work out for you.

bye/Alain

Alain MULS alain.muls@telenet.be