Old 02-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Brian McKee

Default automate power reset

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 4:25 AM, Evuraan::ഏവൂരാന്* <evuraan@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am sure most of us have faced this - I've a bunch of machines (with
> broken ACPI?) - they run away and go to sleep at times.
> hangcheck_timer etc. does not help. my bios has no ASR either - I now
> need to figure out a poor man's way to power reset if they
> (icmp/service) fail.
>
> yea i know, there are fancy pdu's with ssh/telnet/snmp access which
> can do this. but $$ is hard -

I think you want the impossible (to quote Luke Skywalker :-)

If it won't respond to the network and it's sleeping, then the OS level is out.
If it doesn't have a separate management interface or ASR the BIOS can't do it.
If you can't control the power cord remotely then a hard reset it out.

What's left? Carrier pigeons trained to peck the right buttons, or
minions with cell phones and keys to the server room :-)