Old 02-20-2009, 03:40 PM
Bill Taylor

Default FAX software

What software is best for FAX purposes and what modem would you
reccommend?
-
Bond Servant,
Bill Taylor
Killer Spade 806 CE
1968-69

Old 03-28-2011, 02:41 AM
ken

It's been many years, but it seems that I have to receive a fax and
might have to send one too. Is there a way to do this on CentOS 5.5?
(Hope so.)

tia.

--
Anything is easy if you know how to do it.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:18 AM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

It's been many years, but it seems that I have to receive a fax and
might have to send one too. Is there a way to do this on CentOS 5.5?
(Hope so.)

tia.
Tia

We have a vsifax system on a SCO unix machine that we plan to move to
Centos. I plan to evaluate efax that is opensource on Centos before we
pay for the vsifax. You might try installing 'efax'.

I would be interested in following your progress

Greg Ennis

Old 03-28-2011, 03:24 AM
"John R. Dennison"

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 10:18:18PM -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> We have a vsifax system on a SCO unix machine that we plan to move to
> Centos. I plan to evaluate efax that is opensource on Centos before we
> pay for the vsifax. You might try installing 'efax'.

You may also wish to look into Hylafax; available from rpmforge.

John

--
Motivation is the art of getting people to do what you want them to do because
they want to do it.

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Thirty-fourth President of the USA

Old 03-28-2011, 03:36 AM
Robert Heller

> It's been many years, but it seems that I have to receive a fax and
> might have to send one too. Is there a way to do this on CentOS 5.5?
> (Hope so.)

Presubably you also have an analog modem? Almost all analog modems also
understand sending and receiving faxes.

There are several packages that implement the host end of the fax
protocol using an analog modem that supports faxing, including the
CentOS base packages mgetty and mgetty-sendfax.

There are also all-in-one printers that implement faxing, but these can
function standalone -- that is the all-in-one can behave like a regular
fax machine without using a host computer at all (the HP OfficeJets can
do all of this from either their front panel or though their internal
web interface).

Old 03-28-2011, 04:12 AM
Nico Kadel-Garcia

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 10:41 PM, ken <gebser@mousecar.com> wrote:
> It's been many years, but it seems that I have to receive a fax and
> might have to send one too. *Is there a way to do this on CentOS 5.5?
> (Hope so.)
>
> tia.

There are plenty. "mgetty" is built-in. HylaFAX, written by Sam
Leffler, who created TIFF and was one of the core authors of BSD, is
still in popular and commercial use: It Just Works(tm). [I wrote the
SunOS port of it years and years back, and broke down laughing at a
job interview in England when the company said "oh, yes, we use some
very old fax/modem software you'll need to deal with. It's called
'HylaFAX'".

The "viewfax" tool from mgetty still remains the best tool for viewing
the special tiffg3 files used for sending and receiving faxes, and the
mgetty "voice" tools can help HylaFAX or mgetty handle voice messages
too. But if you just install HylaFAX from RPMforge, it should Just
Work(tm).

Old 03-28-2011, 04:22 AM
John R Pierce

On 03/27/11 8:36 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
> There are also all-in-one printers that implement faxing, but these can
> function standalone -- that is the all-in-one can behave like a regular
> fax machine without using a host computer at all (the HP OfficeJets can
> do all of this from either their front panel or though their internal
> web interface).

indeed. we have a Brother MFC that was inexpensive at Costco, its a
standalone fax, copier, a networked B&W laser printer, and a networked
color scanner. also has a sheet feeder. supplies for the Brother
B&W laser printers are far cheaper per page than HP lasers or any inkjet
devices.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Adam Tauno Williams

On Sun, 2011-03-27 at 22:41 -0400, ken wrote:
> It's been many years, but it seems that I have to receive a fax and
> might have to send one too. Is there a way to do this on CentOS 5.5?
> (Hope so.)

Hylafax; has been quietly running at work, without incident, for years.
<http://www.hylafax.org/content/Main_Page>