Old 12-30-2007, 12:20 AM
"Florian Junghanns"

Default Trouble with Suspend/Hibernate on notebook

Hello (hope I'm using this mailing list the right way...)

I've got problems with my Notebook and the Suspend/Hibernate mode.
First my Hardware:
Toshiba Satellite A100-153
(Íntel Centrino Duo 1.66 GHz)

(1024 MB RAM)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 (Seems that is the thing which is making trouble...)

The symptoms are:
tell my notebook: Go to Suspend mode. It does immediately. But waking
up seems pretty difficult - it shows nothing, but is working. Screen is
black, without light.

Hibernate mode: Screen turns black, but with background light. Freeze.

In both cases I have to turn it off (per pressing power button a longer time) and then turn it on again.

I am using Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy (installed from LiveCD, nothing done on it except installing XChat).

Greetings,
Sammy

Old 12-31-2007, 12:13 PM
Paul S

Florian Junghanns said the following on 12/30/2007 10:08 AM:
> ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 (Seems that is the thing which is making
> trouble...)
>
> The symptoms are:
> I tell my notebook: Go to Suspend mode. It does immediately. But
> waking up seems pretty difficult - it shows nothing, but is working.
> Screen is black, without light.
> Hibernate mode: Screen turns black, but with background light. Freeze.

I have been working to find a driver that works with my ATI X1400 as
well. Here's my experience:

The fglrx driver for ATI video cards has broken suspend / hibernate on
gutsy. The fix from ATI is in version 7.12, from
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Gutsy_Installation_Guide. The
Guide works ok, but forgot to say that you have to edit
/etc/defaults/acpi-support to change POST_VIDEO=false.

With fglrx 7.12, you can suspend but not hibernate, and it only works
with Desktop Effects turned off.

The only driver to work for both suspend and hibernate is the
experimental radeonhd at http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeonhd
It does not support 3D acceleration or Xv, so dvd's are not as sharp and
Desktop Effects do not work at all. But, suspend and hibernate work
flawless.

HTH,

Old 01-03-2008, 12:32 AM
Paul S

Paul S said the following on 12/31/2007 08:13 AM:
> Florian Junghanns said the following on 12/30/2007 10:08 AM:
>> ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 (Seems that is the thing which is making
>> trouble...)
>>
>> The symptoms are:
>> I tell my notebook: Go to Suspend mode. It does immediately. But
>> waking up seems pretty difficult - it shows nothing, but is working.
>> Screen is black, without light.
>> Hibernate mode: Screen turns black, but with background light.
>> Freeze.
>
> I have been working to find a driver that works with my ATI X1400 as
> well. Here's my experience:
>
> The fglrx driver for ATI video cards has broken suspend / hibernate on
> gutsy. The fix from ATI is in version 7.12, from
> http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Gutsy_Installation_Guide. The
> Guide works ok, but forgot to say that you have to edit
> /etc/defaults/acpi-support to change POST_VIDEO=false.
>
> With fglrx 7.12, you can suspend but not hibernate, and it only works
> with Desktop Effects turned off.

Here's some more suggestion to get both suspend and hibernate working
well with fglrx 7.12 on gutsy, with no Desktop Effects:

in /etc/defaults/acpi-support:
MODULES_WHITELIST="fglrx"
MODULES="usbhid,uhci_hcd"
SAVE_VBE_STATE=false
POST_VIDEO=false
DOUBLE_CONSOLE_SWITCH=true

The usbhid and uhci_hcd are useful if you have a usb keyboard, printer
or camera, but not necessary if you don't.

It's working well here with these changes. Now it's as good as radeonhd!