Old 02-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Mark Pyles

Default What software will work with quickcam pro by logitech?

Hi everyone:

I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 (gnome desktop) and have a quickcam pro webcam
and need a software that it will work in. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mark

Old 02-20-2009, 01:28 AM
steve

Mark Pyles wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 (gnome desktop) and have a quickcam pro webcam
> and need a software that it will work in. Any suggestions? Thanks.
>

> Mark

should work fine with any linux app, cheese, ekiga, skype, kopete, etc.
One of mine is the same, works fine. plug it in, and do dmesg in a
terminal, look for the last couple lines, should show you something like
this

[20152.971441] usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and
address 2
[20153.163727] usb 2-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[20153.517308] Linux video capture interface: v2.00
[20153.569539]
/build/buildd/linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-2.6.24/debian/build/build-generic/media/gspcav1/gspca_core.c:
USB GSPCA camera found.(SPCA561A)
[20153.575933] usbcore: registered new interface driver gspca
[20153.576319]
/build/buildd/linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-2.6.24/debian/build/build-generic/media/gspcav1/gspca_core.c:
gspca driver 01.00.20 registered
steve@T42smil3y:~$

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

~ Netiquette ~
http://www.writerswrite.com/journal/dec99/pirillo1.htm

Old 02-20-2009, 06:32 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 20:08 -0500, Mark Pyles wrote:
> quickcam pro webcam

Which one? Not all of them are the same. I used a Logitech Quickcam E
3500 Plus and it worked out the box with everything inckuding skype.
Others cause problems:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SkypeWebCams

This might also help: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Webcam

Old 02-20-2009, 07:18 AM
Ray Parrish

<Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 20:08 -0500, Mark Pyles wrote:
>
>> quickcam pro webcam

Hello,

I have found that often there are good references right on my own
system, that teach me more about Linux than I've learned anywhere else
so far. The following link it to a How To that is probably already on
your computer.. [note the "file" protocol at the start of the link]

<file:///usr/share/doc/doc-linux-nonfree-html/HOWTO/Webcam-HOWTO/index.html>

If that link doesn't work for you, open Synaptic, and search on
"linux-nonfree", and install the documentation package that is
available. It has How To's on a very wide variety of Ubuntu specific
questions.

I hope this helps you get our web cam set up.

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com

Old 03-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Mark Pyles

Ray Parrish wrote:

<Mario Vukelic wrote:

I have found that often there are good references right on my own
system, that teach me more about Linux than I've learned anywhere else
so far. The following link it to a How To that is probably already on
your computer.. [note the "file" protocol at the start of the link]

<file:///usr/share/doc/doc-linux-nonfree-html/HOWTO/Webcam-HOWTO/index.html>

If that link doesn't work for you, open Synaptic, and search on
"linux-nonfree", and install the documentation package that is
available. It has How To's on a very wide variety of Ubuntu specific
questions.

I hope this helps you get our web cam set up.

Later, Ray Parrish

Hi Ray:

Thank you very much. Cheese works great!!* Thanks again!

Mark

Old 03-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Mark Pyles

steve wrote:

Mark Pyles wrote:

[...]

Hi Steve:

Thank you for* your help. I was able to manage to get Cheese to work.
Thanks.

Mark

Old 03-02-2009, 12:58 AM
Ray Parrish

Mark Pyles wrote:

> Ray Parrish wrote:
>> <Mario Vukelic wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> I have found that often there are good references right on my own
>> system, that teach me more about Linux than I've learned anywhere else
>> so far. The following link it to a How To that is probably already on
>> your computer.. [note the "file" protocol at the start of the link]
>>
>> <file:///usr/share/doc/doc-linux-nonfree-html/HOWTO/Webcam-HOWTO/index.html>
>>
>> If that link doesn't work for you, open Synaptic, and search on
>> "linux-nonfree", and install the documentation package that is
>> available. It has How To's on a very wide variety of Ubuntu specific
>> questions.
>>
>> I hope this helps you get our web cam set up.
>>
>> Later, Ray Parrish
>>

> Hi Ray:
>
> Thank you very much. Cheese works great!! Thanks again!
>
> Mark
You're quite welcome! I'm glad you got it sorted out. Now if you'd like
to really get on top of Ubuntu and Linux have a look at the following
page, and install all of the packages it recommends, then spend some
time reading the docs they install. 8-)

<http://www.rayslinks.com/Learning%20Linux%20References.html>

Later, Ray Parrish

Old 03-02-2009, 02:22 AM
Mark Pyles

Ray Parrish wrote:

Mark Pyles wrote:

Ray Parrish wrote:

<Mario Vukelic wrote:

[...]

Thank you for the link to linux documentation. That is very handy! I
will bookmark your site as a favorite to refer back to! Thanks again!

Mark

Old 03-02-2009, 03:34 AM
Ray Parrish

Mark Pyles wrote:

> Ray Parrish wrote:
>> Mark Pyles wrote:

>>> Hi Ray:
>>>
>>> Thank you very much. Cheese works great!! Thanks again!
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>
>> You're quite welcome! I'm glad you got it sorted out. Now if you'd like
>> to really get on top of Ubuntu and Linux have a look at the following
>> page, and install all of the packages it recommends, then spend some
>> time reading the docs they install. 8-)
>>
>> <http://www.rayslinks.com/Learning%20Linux%20References.html>
>>
>> Later, Ray Parrish
>>

> Hi Ray:
>
> Thank you for the link to linux documentation. That is very handy! I
> will bookmark your site as a favorite to refer back to! Thanks again!
>
> Mark
No, thank you! I'm always happy to attract a new user to my web site.
I'll try to keep writing useful pages in the future. 8-)

Later, Ray Parrish