Old 02-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Jeremy Tyree

Default download and install

** Everything I download will not install.* Error* (null)* don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Guy Thouret

On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 08:59 -0800, Jeremy Tyree wrote:

** Everything I download will not install.* Error* (null)* don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Could you give some examples please?

Guy.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:49 PM
Jeremy Tyree

I downloaded avg freeware, not that I think I need an anit-virus, but just to be safe, I did, wouldn't install.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Liam Proven

2009/2/19 Jeremy Tyree <jtyree@clearwire.net>:
> Everything I download will not install. Error (null) don't know what
> I'm doing wrong.

You don't need to download anything to install it on Ubuntu. Use
Add/Remove programs on the main menu. Beginners are better off not
trying to install anything from downloads - there are tens of
thousands of programs in the online repositories, so almost anything
you need is there.

AOL/AIM/iChat, Yahoo & Skype: liamproven
MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

Old 02-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Liam Proven

2009/2/19 Jeremy Tyree <jtyree@clearwire.net>:
> I downloaded avg freeware, not that I think I need an anit-virus, but just
> to be safe, I did, wouldn't install.

You do realise, don't you, that you cannot install and run Windows
programs on Ubuntu?

It is possible via various emulators, but again, it's not a good idea
and is not for beginners!

You don't need any antivirus software on a Linux machine.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:18 PM
"Mark Haney"

Jeremy Tyree wrote:
> I downloaded avg freeware, not that I think I need an anit-virus, but just
> to be safe, I did, wouldn't install.

Two things here. One, do NOT top post. Post your replies at the bottom
of the previous one.

Two. Give actual examples of what you did, not what you were trying to
install. This tell us nothing of your problem. TOO MUCH detail is
better than too little.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 02-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Albert Charron

Liam Proven wrote:
> 2009/2/19 Jeremy Tyree <jtyree@clearwire.net>:
>
>> I downloaded avg freeware, not that I think I need an anit-virus, but just
>> to be safe, I did, wouldn't install.
>>

> You do realise, don't you, that you cannot install and run Windows
> programs on Ubuntu?
>
> It is possible via various emulators, but again, it's not a good idea
> and is not for beginners!
>
> You don't need any antivirus software on a Linux machine.

Just to let you know Liam, there's actually a Linux version of AVG Free
at this address: http://free.avg.com/download?prd=afl ... Not that I
tried to installed it nor do I think it's needed, except to protect
windows computers on one's network, but it's there...

Albert Charron

Old 02-19-2009, 08:42 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Jeremy Tyree wrote:
> I downloaded avg freeware, not that I think I need an anit-virus, but
> just to be safe, I did, wouldn't install.

you need to download the deb file for Debian/Ubuntu.
Then open a shell and navigate to where you stored your downloaded file.
type:
sudo dpkg -i avg75fld-r51-a1243.i386.deb

Alternatively, clicking on the file with your mouse should get you the same.

Then the installation is done for you.

You can operate avg free very similar to it's Windows companion via the gui.
type:
avggui

For doing anything that needs more privileges than you have as a user,
ex. updating the virus database, you will need to use sudo:
sudo avggui

This is all about it.

Eberhard

Old 02-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Mario Vukelic

Just a few minor additions:

On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 22:42 +0100, Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> type:
> sudo dpkg -i avg75fld-r51-a1243.i386.deb
>
> Alternatively, clicking on the file with your mouse should get you the same.

Actually, the second alternative (doubleclicking the file) is the better
choice, since it will automatically download all dependencies (required
additional packages) that the avg package will have. The dpkg command
can't do this.

> For doing anything that needs more privileges than you have as a user,
> ex. updating the virus database, you will need to use sudo:
> sudo avggui

It is safer to use gksu instead of sudo when running graphical
(non-commandline) applications. Using sudo for these can have unexpected
side-effects and can cause trouble later.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 09:49 -0800, Jeremy Tyree wrote:
> I downloaded avg freeware, not that I think I need an anit-virus, but
> just to be safe, I did, wouldn't install.

Is there are particular reason why you'd want to use avg instead of
clamav, which is included in Ubuntu and can installed right from
Ubuntu's software repositories?