-   -   accent marks, us-intl keyboard in fluxbuntu (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/24859-accent-marks-us-intl-keyboard-fluxbuntu.html)

anthony baldwin 12-29-2007 10:43 PM

accent marks, us-intl keyboard in fluxbuntu

Hi,
In KDE/Kubuntu, I can type my accent marks:
, etc.
In fluxbox, however, I can not do any that use the alt key:
(logged into kde to write this)
I set the system up for us-intl keyboard (using kde tools).
Any idea why don't work in fluxbox?
Hay alguin que est utilisando fluxbox que puede hacer estas marcas?
Also for in kde I just type (ctrl-,) whilst in flux, I must use
(ctrl-,-c).
Why?

obrigado
gracias
merci
/tony

--
http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
Translation & Interpreting

Felipe Figueiredo 01-03-2008 07:28 PM

Em Saturday 29 December 2007 21:43:57 anthony baldwin escreveu:
> Hi,
> In KDE/Kubuntu, I can type my accent marks:
> , etc.
> In fluxbox, however, I can not do any that use the alt key:
> (logged into kde to write this)
> I set the system up for us-intl keyboard (using kde tools).

That's because KDE is not 'just' a window-manager - it manages its own locale
configuration, regardless of X's. If you want consistency, you must configure
X to use us-intl.

The last time I used fluxbox (early last year) I was led to believe the
simplest way to do this was to

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

> Any idea why don't work in fluxbox?
> Hay alguin que est utilisando fluxbox que puede hacer estas marcas?
> Also for in kde I just type (ctrl-,) whilst in flux, I must use
> (ctrl-,-c).
> Why?

Beats me. I always used (-c) (dead key for the acute accent), as it's the
common way in Brazil. It should work with any combination of X plus wm.
(however, see the bug #)

regards
FF

anthony baldwin 01-03-2008 08:04 PM

Felipe Figueiredo wrote:
> Em Saturday 29 December 2007 21:43:57 anthony baldwin escreveu:
>
>> Hi,
>> In KDE/Kubuntu, I can type my accent marks:
>> , etc.
>> In fluxbox, however, I can not do any that use the alt key:
>> (logged into kde to write this)
>> I set the system up for us-intl keyboard (using kde tools).
>>

> That's because KDE is not 'just' a window-manager - it manages its own locale
> configuration, regardless of X's. If you want consistency, you must configure
> X to use us-intl.
>
> The last time I used fluxbox (early last year) I was led to believe the
> simplest way to do this was to
>
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
>

>> Any idea why don't work in fluxbox?
>> Hay alguin que est utilisando fluxbox que puede hacer estas marcas?
>> Also for in kde I just type (ctrl-,) whilst in flux, I must use
>> (ctrl-,-c).
>> Why?
>>

> Beats me. I always used (-c) (dead key for the acute accent), as it's the
> common way in Brazil. It should work with any combination of X plus wm.
> (however, see the bug #)

Muito obrigado pela sua ateno, Felipe,

But, I'm pretty sure that X is set up for US-Intl (with dead keys),
because I can make all the other marks in fluxbox.
etc.
It's just stuff that uses the alt-key ( )that doesn't work in fluxbox,
including on my other machine, which is using Linguas OS (PCFluxboxOS
based translators distro), in which I chose US-Intl with dead keys
during installation.
On both, alt-whatever works in KDE.

The more I use flux, the more I like it, with the exception of this
little issue.
I mean, if I run gnome-system-monitor, or top, in KDE, then in Flux,
I can see that there are about 3 times as many processes running in KDE.
Flux is light, elegant, quick...I dig it.

Maybe I should try the new US-Intl (without dead keys), but, then I will
have
to learn how to type all over again...
The problem is, I have to be able to type in four different languages.
Ento, no posso usar o teclado brasileiro, s.

You mention bug#...., but there is no number...
Is it a ubuntu bug, a fluxbox bug?
Where is it?

um abrao

/tony

--
http://www.BaldwinLinguas.com - Translation & Interpreting

http://www.LinguasOS.org - Linux for Translators

anthony baldwin 01-03-2008 08:20 PM

anthony baldwin wrote:
> Felipe Figueiredo wrote:
>
>> Em Saturday 29 December 2007 21:43:57 anthony baldwin escreveu:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>> In KDE/Kubuntu, I can type my accent marks:
>>> ö û é ñ ã * ç ¡¿, etc.
>>> In fluxbox, however, I can not do any that use the alt key:
>>> ¿ ¡ (logged into kde to write this)
>>> I set the system up for us-intl keyboard (using kde tools).

This is odd...
I've just discovered that I CAN type € (alt+5) in fluxbox....
No other alt-key thingies work, though...weird...

/tony

anthony baldwin 01-03-2008 08:29 PM

anthony baldwin wrote:
> anthony baldwin wrote:
>
>> Felipe Figueiredo wrote:

> This is odd...
> I've just discovered that I CAN type € (alt+5) in fluxbox....
> No other alt-key thingies work, though...weird...
>
> /tony

Just for the heck of it...here is the relevant portion of my xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
Option "XkbLayout" "us_intl"
Option "XkbVariant" "US-Intl"
EndSection

/tony

Felipe Figueiredo 01-03-2008 08:37 PM

Em Thursday 03 January 2008 19:04:29 anthony baldwin escreveu:
> Felipe Figueiredo wrote:
> > Em Saturday 29 December 2007 21:43:57 anthony baldwin escreveu:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> In KDE/Kubuntu, I can type my accent marks:
> >> , etc.
> >> In fluxbox, however, I can not do any that use the alt key:
> >> (logged into kde to write this)
> >> I set the system up for us-intl keyboard (using kde tools).
> >>

> > That's because KDE is not 'just' a window-manager - it manages its own
locale
> > configuration, regardless of X's. If you want consistency, you must
configure
> > X to use us-intl.
> >
> > The last time I used fluxbox (early last year) I was led to believe the
> > simplest way to do this was to
> >
> > sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
> >

> >> Any idea why don't work in fluxbox?
> >> Hay alguin que est utilisando fluxbox que puede hacer estas marcas?
> >> Also for in kde I just type (ctrl-,) whilst in flux, I must use
> >> (ctrl-,-c).
> >> Why?
> >>

> > Beats me. I always used (-c) (dead key for the acute accent), as it's the
> > common way in Brazil. It should work with any combination of X plus wm.
> > (however, see the bug #)
> >

> Muito obrigado pela sua ateno, Felipe,
>
> But, I'm pretty sure that X is set up for US-Intl (with dead keys),
> because I can make all the other marks in fluxbox.
> etc.
> It's just stuff that uses the alt-key ( )that doesn't work in fluxbox,

Then your problem is configuring properly the AltGr key, not dead-keys as I
first suspected. IIRC, there is also a section for this in the dialogs for
reconfiguring xsever-xorg. Did you try all of those options?

> You mention bug#...., but there is no number...
> Is it a ubuntu bug, a fluxbox bug?
> Where is it?

Ahem... Actually, it's a philsf bug ;-)

I was looking for the bug report when I clicked "send now" (doh). Turns out, I
don't know if the bug was ever reported, but anyway, here's the fix:

http://hmbr.wordpress.com/2007/11/04/gtk-and-cedilla-a-big-brazillian-problem

regards
FF

anthony baldwin 01-03-2008 09:38 PM

Felipe Figueiredo wrote:

>> Muito obrigado pela sua atenção, Felipe,
>>
>> But, I'm pretty sure that X is set up for US-Intl (with dead keys),
>> because I can make all the other marks in fluxbox.
>> * ô é ã ë ç etc.
>> It's just stuff that uses the alt-key (¿ ¡ ® )that doesn't work in fluxbox,
>>

> Then your problem is configuring properly the AltGr key, not dead-keys as I
> first suspected. IIRC, there is also a section for this in the dialogs for
> reconfiguring xsever-xorg. Did you try all of those options?
>

>> You mention bug#...., but there is no number...
>> Is it a ubuntu bug, a fluxbox bug?
>> Where is it?
>>

> Ahem... Actually, it's a philsf® bug ;-)
>
> I was looking for the bug report when I clicked "send now" (doh). Turns out, I
> don't know if the bug was ever reported, but anyway, here's the fix:
>
> http://hmbr.wordpress.com/2007/11/04/gtk-and-cedilla-a-big-brazillian-problem
>
> regards
> FF

Hmm...I wonder if it is a gtk bug...Since, on my Linguas OS box,
I have the same issue in both Xfce and Flux, while here on my
Kubuntu box, it only happens in Flux, and not in KDE or jwm.
Or...come to think of it...I haven't check in jwm.
But, I don't have xfce or gnome on here to check those. *

I'm not having trouble with ç, just alt-key, but, even there, not for
everything,
since I can type € (euro sign, alt+5), but no other alt-key combo...

/tony

*(yes..I like to experiment with window managers. It's my new hobby for
my copious spare time
after running a business, taking care of a family, coordinating
localization of Omega T, teaching Spanish
voluntarily at my daughter's school, and, now, maintaining my own
distro.....so far, out of kde, gnome,
jwm, icewm, and xfce, I like fluxbox best, although I have more or less been
a kde user for about 8 years now).