Old 02-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Shali 9846303531

Default losing static Ip settings after reboot ubuntu 8.10

Dear sir,

my network settings is losing in every reboot. i am now re configuring it again and again....any suggestions????
--
Shali.K.R

Old 02-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Raquel

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 14:29:17 +0530
Shali 9846303531 <shalib2@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear sir,
>
> my network settings is losing in every reboot. i am now re
> configuring it again and again....any suggestions????
>
> --
> Shali.K.R

I'm not a sir, but, let me ask, how are you configuring your network?

--
Raquel
http://www.byraquel.com

--Alexander John Goodrum

Old 02-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Laos Los

Look at the Bug #292701: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/292701

If you have two network interfaces (as I have), you can add the following lines:

iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.1.203
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1

auto eth1

to the /etc/network/interfaces file (changing the red numbers with your own configuration);

and prevent any possible changes to the resolv.conf file with the command:

sudo chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

-i option makes the resolv.conf file writable again.

This works for me.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Rashkae

Shali 9846303531 wrote:
> Dear sir,
>
> my network settings is losing in every reboot. i am now re configuring it
> again and again....any suggestions????

Since you didn't mention, I'll assume this is for Intrepid

That depends:

Do you need to configure wireless networks or removable/hot swap network
interfaces (such as USB network adapters)

If no then:

Use your packages manager of choice, such as synaptic, to install
gnome-network-admin and remove network manager.

If yes then:

Install wicd. I believe this will require the removal of network
manager, but can't verify atm.

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php