-   -   Ubuntu 8.10 (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/248344-ubuntu-8-10-a.html)

Knute Johnson 02-18-2009 10:59 PM

Ubuntu 8.10

Rob wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I've recently replaced Ubuntu 8.04 with 8.10 (a clean install -- Not an
> upgrade install) and aside from a few minor quirks, am very happy with
> this new version so far with the following exception:
>
> I am routinely (so far) running Gnome as my desktop environment. It
> displays an icon on the uppermost toolbar for my wireless connectivity
> allowing me to click to connect to my wireless access (Linksys router)
> downstairs. As for KDE and XFCE, I find no comparable icon nor any
> means by which I can connect to the net wirelessly. I'm sure I'm
> missing something simple in either of those desktop environments but so
> far it has eluded me and I can only connect to the network wirelessly
> through Gnome.
>
> Can anyone offer a clue as to how to accomplish this connectivity in KDE
> or XFCE?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Rob

I only have XFCE and it has the NetworkManager applet on the tool bar.

Norberto Bensa 02-18-2009 11:09 PM

Ubuntu 8.10

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 7:32 PM, Rob <robfleet@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> As for KDE and XFCE, I find no comparable icon nor any
> means by which I can connect to the net wirelessly.

You should post this question in kubuntu-users as you'll get a broader
audience there ;-)

Anyway, KDE has knetworkmanager. Maybe you don't have it installed?

Regards,
Norberto

Rob 02-19-2009 12:13 AM

Ubuntu 8.10

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 15:59 -0800, Knute Johnson wrote:
> Rob wrote:
> > Greetings all,
> >
> > I've recently replaced Ubuntu 8.04 with 8.10 (a clean install -- Not an
> > upgrade install) and aside from a few minor quirks, am very happy with
> > this new version so far with the following exception:
> >
> > I am routinely (so far) running Gnome as my desktop environment. It
> > displays an icon on the uppermost toolbar for my wireless connectivity
> > allowing me to click to connect to my wireless access (Linksys router)
> > downstairs. As for KDE and XFCE, I find no comparable icon nor any
> > means by which I can connect to the net wirelessly. I'm sure I'm
> > missing something simple in either of those desktop environments but so
> > far it has eluded me and I can only connect to the network wirelessly
> > through Gnome.
> >
> > Can anyone offer a clue as to how to accomplish this connectivity in KDE
> > or XFCE?
> >
> > Many thanks in advance.
> >
> > Rob
> >
> I only have XFCE and it has the NetworkManager applet on the tool bar.

Thanks very much. I have installed knetworkmanager and it works fine.
Don't know why it wasn't originally installed along with everything
else. Now, my next (and final question). Can you tell me the name of
the comparable app for XFCE? Apparently that was not installed either.

Finally, does anyone know how to get sound working in 8.10? From what I
read, this seems to be a problem for a number of folks, I'd hate to
have to revert to 8.04 but I do need sound.

Again, many thanks in advance.

Rob

Manish Sinha 02-19-2009 07:37 AM

Ubuntu 8.10

Rob wrote:
> Finally, does anyone know how to get sound working in 8.10? From what I
> read, this seems to be a problem for a number of folks, I'd hate to
> have to revert to 8.04 but I do need sound.

Can you explain what problem you are actually facing with sound?
The sound wasn't working right from beginning or it dies off somewhere
when working?

Have you checked to see that all the required channels are unmuted and
volume is at appropriate level. Type alsamixer in the command-line and
unmute the required channels (My method)

Regards,
Manish

Rob 03-04-2009 07:54 PM

Ubuntu 8.10

Greetings all,

I have recently installed Ubuntu 8.10 and just this morning was
presented with the option to install 517 updates. Sheesh!! So, I let
'er rip and find that I now have two problems (the second of which I had
before the update).

1. I'm sure I'm missing something very obvious but, for the life of me,
I cannot figger out how to connect to the Internet using KDE. I'm using
Gnome right now and it has a little icon in the upper task bar that I
can click on to go on line (I'm using wireless connectivity through a
Linksys router on a lower floor which works fine in Gnome) but I can
find no obvious way of doing the same thing in KDE.

2. I cannot get sound to work in KDE. Has anyone cracked the code on
this yet? It clearly tells me my sound is "broken" when I activate KDE
but NOT how to fix it.

Many thanks in advance for any help on these two...

Rob

Josh Holland 03-04-2009 07:57 PM

Ubuntu 8.10

On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 15:54 -0500, Rob wrote:
> Many thanks in advance for any help on these two...

Switch back to GNOME?

Seriously, why are you using KDE if you are used to GNOME?
/me puts flameproof longjohns on...
AFAICT, there is no real difference between KDE and GNOME in terms of
quality of the DE. The interfaces are different, so why not just use
what you are used to?
--
Josh Holland <jrh@joshh.co.uk>

"H.S." 03-04-2009 08:05 PM

Ubuntu 8.10

Josh Holland wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 15:54 -0500, Rob wrote:
>> Many thanks in advance for any help on these two...
>
> Switch back to GNOME?
>
> Seriously, why are you using KDE if you are used to GNOME?

Freedom of choice? Just to play with it? etc. etc.

> /me puts flameproof longjohns on...
> AFAICT, there is no real difference between KDE and GNOME in terms of
> quality of the DE. The interfaces are different, so why not just use
> what you are used to?

At least one: in my school I can access WebCT folders in KDE (secure
webdav protocal) but Gnome barfs at those and fails miserably. (this is
in Hardy and from my search it appears to be a Gnome bug, long standing)

ever having been read.

"H.S." 03-04-2009 08:11 PM

Ubuntu 8.10

Rob wrote:

> 1. I'm sure I'm missing something very obvious but, for the life of me,
> I cannot figger out how to connect to the Internet using KDE. I'm using
> Gnome right now and it has a little icon in the upper task bar that I
> can click on to go on line (I'm using wireless connectivity through a
> Linksys router on a lower floor which works fine in Gnome) but I can
> find no obvious way of doing the same thing in KDE.

Do you have network-manager-kde installed? If not, install it and
perhaps also kwirelessmonitor. You should be good to go then. But post
here if it still doesn't work.

This might ask you setup a password for KDE wallet. To save trouble, I
set it to the same as I my login password.

> 2. I cannot get sound to work in KDE. Has anyone cracked the code on
> this yet? It clearly tells me my sound is "broken" when I activate KDE
> but NOT how to fix it.

If you are using pulseaudio, make sure you have ESD for "audio device"
in Hardware tab of sound system configuration.

Make all the above changes and relogin and see how it goes.

Regards.

ever having been read.

Mario Vukelic 03-04-2009 09:02 PM

Ubuntu 8.10

On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 16:11 -0500, H.S. wrote:
> Do you have network-manager-kde installed? If not, install it and
> perhaps also kwirelessmonitor. You should be good to go then. But post
> here if it still doesn't work.

If these packages are not installed, the OP very likely is missing
kubuntu-desktop. I'd suggest installing that to get the whole Kubuntu
experience.

Rob 03-05-2009 01:40 AM

Ubuntu 8.10

H.S.: Thanks very much. I now have KDE working on-line! Do you know of
a similar fix for XFCE?

Regarding sound, I don't see anything in KDE/System Settings/Computer
Administration/Sound regarding "pulseaudio" or anything else that would
give me a clue as to how to fix this non-working sound in KDE :(
Perhaps, I'm missing something obvious?

Best Regards,
Rob