Old 02-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Jeremy Tyree

Default Need all the help I can get.

* Well,* here goes.* My plan is to erase my hard drive.* And I want to use Ubuntu OS.* I am sick of windows, and I want a change.* I have downloaded the file and I am going to burn the CD.* I am savvy with the computer, but I really don't know much about installing a new OS. ** My question is, if I erase the hard drive, throw the cd in, will it automatically setup and start installing??* Or do I need to know some kind of DOS commands before I get into it?* I really don't want to waste anyone's time, but I want to do it right.* Help me please if you can. **

Old 02-18-2009, 06:07 PM
Thomas Wolf

Ubuntu installs right from the CD.* It offers
to reformat your hard disk as part of the installation, so erasing your
disk beforehand is not necessary.

tom

Old 02-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Jeremy Tyree wrote:
> Well, here goes. My plan is to erase my hard drive. And I want to use
> Ubuntu OS. I am sick of windows, and I want a change. I have downloaded
> the file and I am going to burn the CD. I am savvy with the computer, but I
> really don't know much about installing a new OS. My question is, if I
> erase the hard drive, throw the cd in, will it automatically setup and start
> installing?? Or do I need to know some kind of DOS commands before I get
> into it? I really don't want to waste anyone's time, but I want to do it
> right. Help me please if you can.

If your computer will boot from CD, then yes, putting it in and booting
will bring up a menu where you can use the liveboot CD or install it.

Running the installer will step you through setting Ubuntu up on your
hard drive, and you don't need to erase the hard drive first if you tell
the installer to use "guided - use entire drive" when setting it up.

-Bart

Old 02-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 10:59:32 -0800
Jeremy Tyree <jtyree@clearwire.net> wrote:

> Well, here goes. My plan is to erase my hard drive. And I want
> to use Ubuntu OS. I am sick of windows, and I want a change. I have
> downloaded the file and I am going to burn the CD. I am savvy with
> the computer, but I really don't know much about installing a new
> OS. My question is, if I erase the hard drive, throw the cd in,
> will it automatically setup and start installing?? Or do I need to
> know some kind of DOS commands before I get into it? I really don't
> want to waste anyone's time, but I want to do it right. Help me
> please if you can.

A good place to start is reading the documentation about what you are
going to do:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromWindows

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 02-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Jean Dewald

--

I am not a IT professional, but just want to tell you about my own experiences, quite similar to yours.
I recently bought a Dell laptop with Vista installed.

The most important you should do, in my opinion, is to try Ubuntu on your system before the real installation,
which will erase your HD without any way of return!

So I suggest following steps:

1) Download a (free) Ubuntu to your CD writer.

2) From the CD you can already start your system with the new OS, without installation
or any change of your old configuration.

3) Check thoroughly if all parts of your system (keyboard, monitor, HD, modem, webcam...) are correctly recognised.
If there are some gaps, find out if you will be able to solve the problems.

4) Play with your new toy, just to find out if you can live with the new fonctions. You'll probably find out,
like I did, that Ubuntu offers much more ways to do the job without the bells, strings and nice colours
of Windows. (Your system will be a little lazy, because continuously refering to the slow CD.)

If you decide to go on:

5) Make an external copy of all your documents: installation will totally erase your HD!

6) From your Ubuntu CD, choose to install the OS, which will now erase your HD and install all parts of it.

7) Copy your documents back to your HD

8) And enjoy your new freedom to choose the free applications you want!

Good luck

Jean

Old 02-18-2009, 07:52 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Jean Dewald <jean.dewald@qipsgroup.be> said:
[...]
> The most important you should do, in my opinion, is to try Ubuntu on
> your system before the real installation, which will erase your HD
> without any way of return!

[...]
and said again:

> If you decide to go on:
>
> 5) Make an external copy of all your documents: installation will
> totally erase your HD!

That is simply not true. Although it /is/ an option to do so, the
Ubuntu installation has the ability to set up a dual boot system
leaving Windows intact.

In fact, if used manually, it n set up as many OSs as you'd like to use.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 02-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 14:52 -0600, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> That is simply not true. Although it /is/ an option to do so, the
> Ubuntu installation has the ability to set up a dual boot system
> leaving Windows intact.

While you are of course correct, the advice to make an external backup
of anything that might still be needed (user files, ...) was sound. One
should always do so, even if experienced. Much more so if a newbie.
Human errors do happen, by users as well as developers

Old 02-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Chris Mohler

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 5:42 PM, Mario Vukelic
<mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 14:52 -0600, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>> That is simply not true. Although it /is/ an option to do so, the
>> Ubuntu installation has the ability to set up a dual boot system
>> leaving Windows intact.
>
> While you are of course correct, the advice to make an external backup
> of anything that might still be needed (user files, ...) was sound. One
> should always do so, even if experienced. Much more so if a newbie.
> Human errors do happen, by users as well as developers

Not to mention random accidents - power cuts off during gparted, e.g.
'Be Prepared' is not bad, as far as a motto goes...

Chris