Old 02-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Thomas Wolf

Default Help Ubuntu 8.10 X server has started crashing 1-2 per day

Hi,

My X server, since installing 8.10 in January, has been mysteriously
crashing every now and then - and it seems to happen more frequently
lately.

Environment:

I'm running 8.10 on a Dell Latitude D820 (1280x800) on a docking
station connected to a secondary monitor (1600x1200) with my desktops
spanning both monitors.* The system is totally up-to-date.

uname -a: Linux beowulf 2.6.27-12-generic #1 SMP Thu Feb 5 09:26:35 UTC
2009 i686 GNU/Linux

When the server crashes, after restarting, I can see a backtrace in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old:

0: /usr/X11R6/bin/X(xf86SigHandler+0x79) [0x80c3009]

1: [0xb80e9400]

2: /usr/X11R6/bin/X(XkbWriteXKBGeometry+0x181) [0x81a9ed1]

3: /usr/X11R6/bin/X(XkbWriteXKBKeymapForNames+0x610) [0x81a9210]

4: /usr/X11R6/bin/X(XkbDDXLoadKeymapByNames+0x1d7) [0x81b41c7]

5: /usr/X11R6/bin/X(ProcXkbGetKbdByName+0x40e) [0x819041e]

6: /usr/X11R6/bin/X [0x8195668]

7: /usr/X11R6/bin/X(Dispatch+0x34f) [0x808c89f]

8: /usr/X11R6/bin/X(main+0x47d) [0x8071d1d]

9: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe5) [0xb7cef685]

10: /usr/X11R6/bin/X [0x8071101]

Saw signal 11.* Server aborting.

I did a quick google search to see if this is a known issue and came
across what appears to be similar and added my comment there:

**** https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/290252

But I'm not sure what to do next - it really is quite annoying.* Is
there, perhaps, a fix available in a later version of X?* There was a
similar bug reported in the Fedora 10 support lists and the resolution
there seems to be that it's fixed in 1.6?* Is that something (a
package) I can update in 8.10 or do I have to wait for Jaunty?

Thanks for any info (and novice instructions on how to fix things).

tom

Old 02-19-2009, 04:14 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Thomas Wolf wrote:

> Thanks for any info (and novice instructions on how to fix things).
> tom

When posting to this list please use "text" format instead of "HTML".
Some experts won't even open HTML posts.

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng. - São Paulo - Brazil
Lat.: 23°34'4.79"S - Long.: 46°39'59.53"W

Old 02-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Thomas Wolf

Sorry about that - I forgot to set
Thunderbird to do text-only for ubuntu.com domain.* Hope this one makes
it as plain text.

Do I have to repeat my question in order for the experts to
read/respond to my question?

Thanks in advance for the heads-up.

tom

Old 02-20-2009, 04:11 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Thomas Wolf wrote:
> Sorry about that - I forgot to set Thunderbird to do text-only for
> ubuntu.com domain. Hope this one makes it as plain text.
>
> Do I have to repeat my question in order for the experts to
> read/respond to my question?
>
> Thanks in advance for the heads-up.
> tom
>

> On 02/19/2009 12:14 AM, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>> Thomas Wolf wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for any info (and novice instructions on how to fix things).
>>> tom
>>>
>> When posting to this list please use "text" format instead of "HTML".
>> Some experts won't even open HTML posts.
>>
>> L.

Thomas,

The stylish gray background suggests that you are still posting in HTML.
Also, if you are following the other messages, you might have noted that
the rule is to bottom post, never top post. Some people get very angry
at it and tend to lose their temper. I can't remember where these
instructions are stated (learned quietly by example). I wonder why they
do not appear at the bottom of every message, as a warning for newbies,
along with some warning such "Beware! Angry Experts".

As for your problem, I don't think I can help you, I 'm just a curious
guy, not a wise one. If I understood correctly, your Gnome session
aborts, not the OS. Perhaps you could tell us exactly what you were
doing when it happens, if the aborts are not completely random, or how
loaded your system was (I guess the bug refers to systems with high
load). I would also try to run the system as bare as possible, without a
second monitor, Compiz, etc. and check if it still aborts, this would
limit the number of the possible culprits and ease the job of the
precious helpful hands.

As for the experts, even top posted in HTML, most of the relevant
questions are eventually answered (sometimes in weird exotic languages)
and some of the absolutely OT irrelevant also.

Welcome,

L.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:58 AM
Ray Parrish

Thomas Wolf wrote:
> Sorry about that - I forgot to set Thunderbird to do text-only for
> ubuntu.com domain. Hope this one makes it as plain text.
>
> Do I have to repeat my question in order for the experts to
> read/respond to my question?
>
> Thanks in advance for the heads-up.
> tom
Hello,

To get Thunderbird to only mail text emails to the group, open your
address book, right click the entry for the groups email address, select
Properties, and on the dialog that you get, there will be a selection on
the first tab about halfway down that says "Prefers to receive messages
formatted as" next to a drop down selector with the choices Text,,
HTML,, and it should initially say "Unknown" if you haven't previously
set it for that address.

Set it to Text, and it will always send text messages to the group from
now on.

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com

Old 02-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Thomas Wolf

Thanks a bunch Ray.

Before I sent the reply to Lucio and the group, I edited Thunderbird
via Edit->Preferences->Composition Tab->Send Options... and put
"ubuntu.com" into the "Plain Text Domains", which, according to the
description, was supposed to accomplish the same thing - have all emails
going to that domain be sent in plain text. But judging by Lucio's
response about my stylish grey background :-), that is not working :-(
Now I'm trying your suggestion. Hope this arrives as plain text.

As an aside, I've been a UNIX user since about 1985 (I emphasize "user"
- vs. hacker). I never have understood why some folks feel so strongly
about putting the quote before the reply. An e-mail quote is not like a
literary quote. It's there to provide a contextual background - in case
it's needed by the reader. As such, it's of secondary importance to the
new content and should, therefore, be placed second.

Thanks again Ray for this preferences tidbit - been using (here's that
term "user" again :-) Thunderbird forever and didn't know that this existed.
tom

Old 02-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Thomas Wolf wrote:
<snip>
> As an aside, I've been a UNIX user since about 1985 (I emphasize "user"
> - vs. hacker). I never have understood why some folks feel so strongly
> about putting the quote before the reply. An e-mail quote is not like a
> literary quote. It's there to provide a contextual background - in case
> it's needed by the reader. As such, it's of secondary importance to the
> new content and should, therefore, be placed second.

Take a book...just about any book...and number the paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 4,...

Then read it. Start at paragraph 2, then jump to 1, then to 4, then 3,
then 6, then 5.

See how long it takes for you to either give up reading it or toss it aside.

Or, try reading chapter 4, then find references in that chapter into
context by hunting through chapters one through three. Keep jumping back
and forth until you piece it together.

Messages in email aren't that long, but when you keep having to sift
through a lot of them over time that's what it amounts to. Unless you're
part of the brain-fart generation where every mental hiccup is deemed
worth of broadcasting to "ur frendz w txts" or you are unaccustomed to
reading things longer than three paragraphs at a time, it's far easier
to scan information chronologically and in context for reference (and
CLARITY of what you're referring to!) than tacking an extra two pages of
"just in case you want to search crap to figure out what the #@$ we're
talking about"...that's what threading your sent items and/or
trash/deleted items is for.

It's funny how many businesses bitch about emailers not being clear
about conveying their thoughts and ideas in email while still posting a
few lines of brain dropping to the top of a three page emailed memo and
expecting people to take time to know what in the message you're
referring to. It's laziness.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:24:09 -0500
Thomas Wolf <twolf@netforensics.com> wrote:

> Thanks a bunch Ray.
>
> Before I sent the reply to Lucio and the group, I edited Thunderbird
> via Edit->Preferences->Composition Tab->Send Options... and put
> "ubuntu.com" into the "Plain Text Domains", which, according to the
> description, was supposed to accomplish the same thing - have all
> emails going to that domain be sent in plain text. But judging by
> Lucio's response about my stylish grey background :-), that is not
> working :-( Now I'm trying your suggestion. Hope this arrives as
> plain text.
>
> As an aside, I've been a UNIX user since about 1985 (I emphasize
> "user"
> - vs. hacker). I never have understood why some folks feel so
> strongly about putting the quote before the reply. An e-mail quote
> is not like a literary quote. It's there to provide a contextual
> background - in case it's needed by the reader. As such, it's of
> secondary importance to the new content and should, therefore, be
> placed second.

The problem is not importance so much as readablilty. If I open a
magazine, and the first line of an article is "go to the next page
first", I throw the magazine away.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 02-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Charlie Kravetz wrote:

> The problem is not importance so much as readablilty. If I open a
> magazine, and the first line of an article is "go to the next page
> first", I throw the magazine away.

Ok guys, rules and etiquette properly addressed, but then his Gnome
seems to have gone berserk. Any ideas?

Old 02-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> Charlie Kravetz wrote:
>> The problem is not importance so much as readablilty. If I open a
>> magazine, and the first line of an article is "go to the next page
>> first", I throw the magazine away.
>>

> Ok guys, rules and etiquette properly addressed, but then his Gnome
> seems to have gone berserk. Any ideas?

Corrupted preference? Does it happen with a newly created user, or if a
preference directory or two gets temporarily renamed by another username
with admin rights, then log back in as his "normal" user?