Old 12-29-2007, 07:10 PM
Keith Clark

Default video application

What is the best application for importing video from a video cam, changing the size/compression scheme, and uploading to youtube? I would prefer something from the standard repos.

Keith

Old 12-29-2007, 07:32 PM
Michael Knepher

If you can use firewire to connect the camcorder, then kino is your best
bet. Other than that, I'm not sure what stable options there are,
although I think that mplayer/mencoder may be a possibility.

Michael

Old 12-29-2007, 07:38 PM

Thanks Michael, I will give that a shot.

Keith

Old 12-29-2007, 07:44 PM

Ok, I do have firewire and when I try to capture with Kino I get the following error: raw1394 kernel module not loaded or failure to read/write /dev/raw1394.

How can I solve this one?

Keith

Old 12-29-2007, 08:14 PM

chmod 777 raw1394

Seems to have worked for me. I'm not sure why that would be necessary though.

Keith

Old 12-30-2007, 05:36 AM
Tim Frost

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 13:14 -0800, keithclark1966@rogers.com wrote:
> chmod 777 raw1394
>
> Seems to have worked for me. I'm not sure why that would be necessary though.
>
> Keith

What are the owner and group settings for /dev/raw1394(output of ls
-l /dev/raw1394)? You may need to be a member of the relevant group

Tim