-   -   video application (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/24730-video-application.html)

Keith Clark 12-29-2007 07:10 PM

video application

What is the best application for importing video from a video cam, changing the size/compression scheme, and uploading to youtube? I would prefer something from the standard repos.

Keith

Michael Knepher 12-29-2007 07:32 PM

video application

If you can use firewire to connect the camcorder, then kino is your best
bet. Other than that, I'm not sure what stable options there are,
although I think that mplayer/mencoder may be a possibility.

Michael

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 12:10 -0800, Keith Clark wrote:
> What is the best application for importing video from a video cam, changing the size/compression scheme, and uploading to youtube? I would prefer something from the standard repos.
>
> Keith

12-29-2007 07:38 PM

video application

Thanks Michael, I will give that a shot.

Keith

If you can use firewire to connect the camcorder, then kino is your
best
bet. Other than that, I'm not sure what stable options there are,
although I think that mplayer/mencoder may be a possibility.

Michael

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 12:10 -0800, Keith Clark wrote:
> What is the best application for importing video from a video cam,
changing the size/compression scheme, and uploading to youtube? I would
prefer something from the standard repos.

> Keith

12-29-2007 07:44 PM

video application

Ok, I do have firewire and when I try to capture with Kino I get the following error: raw1394 kernel module not loaded or failure to read/write /dev/raw1394.

How can I solve this one?

Keith

If you can use firewire to connect the camcorder, then kino is your
best
bet. Other than that, I'm not sure what stable options there are,
although I think that mplayer/mencoder may be a possibility.

Michael

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 12:10 -0800, Keith Clark wrote:
> What is the best application for importing video from a video cam,
changing the size/compression scheme, and uploading to youtube? I would
prefer something from the standard repos.

> Keith

12-29-2007 08:14 PM

video application

chmod 777 raw1394

Seems to have worked for me. I'm not sure why that would be necessary though.

Keith

Tim Frost 12-30-2007 05:36 AM

video application

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 13:14 -0800, keithclark1966@rogers.com wrote:
> chmod 777 raw1394
>
> Seems to have worked for me. I'm not sure why that would be necessary though.
>
> Keith

What are the owner and group settings for /dev/raw1394(output of ls
-l /dev/raw1394)? You may need to be a member of the relevant group

Tim