Old 02-17-2009, 01:55 PM
WipeOut

Default GUI programming question

Hi All..

I have a small project that needs a simple GUI app developped to
simplify firing off complicated command lines..

Initially it will require a few variables to be typed in and then will
have a few buttons that will perform some system tasks by running
commands or scripts..

I have written bash scripts and some php in the past but never a desktop
application..

There seems to be a huge choice of languages to do this like GTK, JAVA,
QT and and a few others..

In looking briefly they all seem quite complicated but JAVA has the
Netbeans development application which looks very useful for developing
the GUI, just JAVA doesn't look that simple for the logic..

Whats the easiest way to do this for someone with very little
programming experience??

TIA

Old 02-17-2009, 02:08 PM
"Mark Haney"

WipeOut wrote:
> Hi All..
>
> I have a small project that needs a simple GUI app developped to
> simplify firing off complicated command lines..
>
> Initially it will require a few variables to be typed in and then will
> have a few buttons that will perform some system tasks by running
> commands or scripts..
>
> I have written bash scripts and some php in the past but never a desktop
> application..
>
> There seems to be a huge choice of languages to do this like GTK, JAVA,
> QT and and a few others..
>
> In looking briefly they all seem quite complicated but JAVA has the
> Netbeans development application which looks very useful for developing
> the GUI, just JAVA doesn't look that simple for the logic..
>
> Whats the easiest way to do this for someone with very little
> programming experience??
>
> TIA

I'm curious, is there a NEED for a GUI or just a preference?

Honestly you really might be better off just building shell scripts to
streamline commands if you don't have a lot of programming experience.

But, if you are doing this to learn how to, and it's not going to be
particularly portable (i.e. only on your systems, let's say) I'd build
it in the toolkit of your Desktop Manager of choice, be it GTK for GNOME
or QT for KDE.

Personally, I've gotten away from GTK programming. It seems to me the
differences in even a minor rev of GTK+ eats up applications.

I like the QT toolkit and there are RAD front ends to help with that. I
know there are ones for GTK as well, but I haven't built a GTK app in years.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 02-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Knapp

I use QT or pyQT. I will help you if you want to do it. It is really
easy if you are willing to learn just a little bit.
Is the GPL?

I think that QT will run on Gnome or KDE and I know it will run on
windows and apple too.

Look at QT designer or Creator to start with. Or, if you have
something with only 3 buttons just write it by hand.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Why do we live?

Old 02-17-2009, 02:18 PM
"Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)"

Knapp wrote:
> I use QT or pyQT.

I would be pro GTK/PyGTK | LablGTK
http://plus.kaist.ac.kr/~shoh/ocaml/lablgtk2/lablgtk2-tutorial/

--
Chef de projet chez Vectoris
http://www.google.com/search?q=mihamina+rakotomandimby

Old 02-17-2009, 02:34 PM
WipeOut

Mark Haney wrote:
> WipeOut wrote:
>> Hi All..
>>
>> I have a small project that needs a simple GUI app developped to
>> simplify firing off complicated command lines..
>>
>> Initially it will require a few variables to be typed in and then will
>> have a few buttons that will perform some system tasks by running
>> commands or scripts..
>>
>> I have written bash scripts and some php in the past but never a desktop
>> application..
>>
>> There seems to be a huge choice of languages to do this like GTK, JAVA,
>> QT and and a few others..
>>
>> In looking briefly they all seem quite complicated but JAVA has the
>> Netbeans development application which looks very useful for developing
>> the GUI, just JAVA doesn't look that simple for the logic..
>>
>> Whats the easiest way to do this for someone with very little
>> programming experience??
>>
>> TIA
>>

> I'm curious, is there a NEED for a GUI or just a preference?
>
> Honestly you really might be better off just building shell scripts to
> streamline commands if you don't have a lot of programming experience.
>
> But, if you are doing this to learn how to, and it's not going to be
> particularly portable (i.e. only on your systems, let's say) I'd build
> it in the toolkit of your Desktop Manager of choice, be it GTK for GNOME
> or QT for KDE.
>
> Personally, I've gotten away from GTK programming. It seems to me the
> differences in even a minor rev of GTK+ eats up applications.
>
> I like the QT toolkit and there are RAD front ends to help with that. I
> know there are ones for GTK as well, but I haven't built a GTK app in years.

I need a GUI to make it a simple process of enter the details, point and
click..

Also I would like to learn how to do it because it might be a useful
skill to have for these type of things in the future..

I have read that if using QT the app must be GPL or there are licenses
to be paid so I eliminated it right off because this app will just be
used internally..

Which I guess leaves GTK and JAVA unless I am wrong about QT..

Old 02-17-2009, 02:36 PM
WipeOut

Knapp wrote:
> I use QT or pyQT. I will help you if you want to do it. It is really
> easy if you are willing to learn just a little bit.
> Is the GPL?
>
> I think that QT will run on Gnome or KDE and I know it will run on
> windows and apple too.
>
> Look at QT designer or Creator to start with. Or, if you have
> something with only 3 buttons just write it by hand.

I will have a look at QT designer.. As I said to a previous reply I
eliminated QT because of the license requirement if developing a non-GPL
app, this app will be just for internal use..

Old 02-17-2009, 02:42 PM
"Mark Haney"

WipeOut wrote:
> Knapp wrote:
>> I use QT or pyQT. I will help you if you want to do it. It is really
>> easy if you are willing to learn just a little bit.
>> Is the GPL?
>>
>> I think that QT will run on Gnome or KDE and I know it will run on
>> windows and apple too.
>>
>> Look at QT designer or Creator to start with. Or, if you have
>> something with only 3 buttons just write it by hand.
>>

> I will have a look at QT designer.. As I said to a previous reply I
> eliminated QT because of the license requirement if developing a non-GPL
> app, this app will be just for internal use..

I don't see how an internal app would NOT fall under GPL. If you aren't
charging for it's use, then I don't see that the licensing is even an
issue. But, IANAL.

I've built several QT apps over the years for internal use. To me, the
licensing issue only applies if you make it available to the public
either commercially or GPL.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Brian McKee

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 9:55 AM, WipeOut <wipe_out@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Hi All..
>
> I have a small project that needs a simple GUI app developped to
> simplify firing off complicated command lines..

Take a look at zenity - it's simple, but that sounds like all you need.

Brian

Old 02-17-2009, 03:01 PM

WipeOut wrote:
> I will have a look at QT designer.. As I said to a previous reply I
> eliminated QT because of the license requirement if developing a non-GPL

It's more GPL compliant now.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:15 PM
Knapp

QT just moved to the LGPL license you have no worries at all, if you
use the current QT. Old QT is still under the old license.
--
Douglas E Knapp

Why do we live?