Old 02-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Florian Diesch

Default GUI programming question

WipeOut <wipe_out@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> I have a small project that needs a simple GUI app developped to
> simplify firing off complicated command lines..
>
> Initially it will require a few variables to be typed in and then will
> have a few buttons that will perform some system tasks by running
> commands or scripts..

Maybe something like zenity
<http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/intrepid/en/man1/zenity.1.html>
is all you need.

> I have written bash scripts and some php in the past but never a desktop
> application..
>
> There seems to be a huge choice of languages to do this like GTK, JAVA,
> QT and and a few others..

GTk and Qt aren't languages but Widget sets, i.e. libraries for wring
GUI apps. Both have bindings for most common programming languages.

> In looking briefly they all seem quite complicated but JAVA has the
> Netbeans development application which looks very useful for developing
> the GUI, just JAVA doesn't look that simple for the logic..

To design a GUI Qt has Designer and GTK has Glade.

> Whats the easiest way to do this for someone with very little
> programming experience??

I'm using GTK with python and I think it's quite easy to use.

"A Byte of Python" <http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Python> is a nice
introduction to Python, on <http://www.pygtk.org/articles.html> you
find some tutorials for using GTK with python. The "GTK+ and Glade3
GUI Programming Tutorial" by Micah Carrick should be a good starting
point once you have some basic knowledge of Python.

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>

Old 02-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Hal Burgiss

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 02:55:46PM +0000, WipeOut wrote:
> I have a small project that needs a simple GUI app developped to
> simplify firing off complicated command lines..

[...]

> Whats the easiest way to do this for someone with very little
> programming experience??

I'd look at the examples that come with gtkdialog. That sounds like it
would work. Also tcl/tk is a simple scripting language with GUI
widgets and runs fine in a Unix shell environment. It has its own
widgets so does not integrate with look and feel of gtk or kde.

Example script:

#!/usr/bin/wish

set msg_color yellow
regsub -all {/} $argv
msgtext

wm title . HEY!
wm iconname . $msgtext
message .m -text $msgtext -relief groove -width 250 -pady 20 -padx 40
-aspect 100 -borderwidth 2

.m configure -background $msg_color
. configure -background $msg_color

button .b -text "OK" -command { exit } -pady 4
pack .m .b

# eof

Its a little different than other languages but pretty capable for
scripting w/GUI ability.

--
Hal

Old 02-18-2009, 06:55 AM
Ray Parrish

Hal Burgiss wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 02:55:46PM +0000, WipeOut wrote:
>
>> I have a small project that needs a simple GUI app developped to
>> simplify firing off complicated command lines..
>>

> [...]
>

>> Whats the easiest way to do this for someone with very little
>> programming experience??
There is another option which is the GUI programming language called
Gambas. It's very similar to Visual Basic, and is actually a Basic
programming language. With it, you will be able to create the form for
your project in a what you see is what you get environment, that will
allow you to drag and drop elements like the command buttons, and text
boxes onto a main form that you start the project with..

Once you have the form looking the way you want it, you then put your
code in function modules which are associated with action triggers from
the elements you have added to your form. For instance, for a command
button, there will be click() event that you can add code to as well as
an onmouseout(),, and a text box will have an onchange() event or
something close. and some other code events associated with it.

The form itself will have an onload event and an onunload event plus a
main event to add code to. Overall it makes developing a GIU application
very easy.

I've actually got it installed here, but I haven't gotten around to
using it yet. It's available in the Ubuntu repositories, so just fire up
Synaptic and install it. 8-) You won't find an easier way to create a
GUI program in Ubuntu.

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com

Old 02-18-2009, 07:50 AM
WipeOut

Ray Parrish wrote:
> Hal Burgiss wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 02:55:46PM +0000, WipeOut wrote:
>>
>>> I have a small project that needs a simple GUI app developped to
>>> simplify firing off complicated command lines..
>>>
>> [...]
>>

>>> Whats the easiest way to do this for someone with very little
>>> programming experience??
> There is another option which is the GUI programming language called
> Gambas. It's very similar to Visual Basic, and is actually a Basic
> programming language. With it, you will be able to create the form for
> your project in a what you see is what you get environment, that will
> allow you to drag and drop elements like the command buttons, and text
> boxes onto a main form that you start the project with..
>
> Once you have the form looking the way you want it, you then put your
> code in function modules which are associated with action triggers from
> the elements you have added to your form. For instance, for a command
> button, there will be click() event that you can add code to as well as
> an onmouseout(),, and a text box will have an onchange() event or
> something close. and some other code events associated with it.
>
> The form itself will have an onload event and an onunload event plus a
> main event to add code to. Overall it makes developing a GIU application
> very easy.
>
> I've actually got it installed here, but I haven't gotten around to
> using it yet. It's available in the Ubuntu repositories, so just fire up
> Synaptic and install it. 8-) You won't find an easier way to create a
> GUI program in Ubuntu.
>
> Later, Ray Parrish

Thanks Ray.. I had a quick look and it looks interesting.. Will install
it and see where I end up..

Old 02-18-2009, 09:15 AM
Knapp

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 8:55 AM, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:
> Hal Burgiss wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 02:55:46PM +0000, WipeOut wrote:
>>
>>> I have a small project that needs a simple GUI app developped to
>>> simplify firing off complicated command lines..
>>>

>> [...]
>>

>>> Whats the easiest way to do this for someone with very little
>>> programming experience??
> There is another option which is the GUI programming language called
> Gambas. It's very similar to Visual Basic, and is actually a Basic
> programming language. With it, you will be able to create the form for
> your project in a what you see is what you get environment, that will
> allow you to drag and drop elements like the command buttons, and text
> boxes onto a main form that you start the project with..
>
> Once you have the form looking the way you want it, you then put your
> code in function modules which are associated with action triggers from
> the elements you have added to your form. For instance, for a command
> button, there will be click() event that you can add code to as well as
> an onmouseout(),, and a text box will have an onchange() event or
> something close. and some other code events associated with it.
>
> The form itself will have an onload event and an onunload event plus a
> main event to add code to. Overall it makes developing a GIU application
> very easy.
>
> I've actually got it installed here, but I haven't gotten around to
> using it yet. It's available in the Ubuntu repositories, so just fire up
> Synaptic and install it. 8-) You won't find an easier way to create a
> GUI program in Ubuntu.
>
> Later, Ray Parrish

QT Creator is almost the same but with C++
pyQT has one more step but is also the same idea.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Why do we live?