FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-17-2009, 12:05 PM
James Turland
 
Default sound question

hi;hope I'm posting this question in the right place.I would like to get
the three jacks on the back of my computer to be used for 5.1 (6)speaker
sound.At an alsa site I found some info about changing editing on my
asounrdrc file.Being a newbie to ubuntu I don't know how .I have barely
used the terminal because you ubunters have filled the synapses with
everything I have needed so far.I would like a step by step guide to
the editing if that is what you suggest I should do.thanks to the ubuntu
comunity James


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Andrew Kane
 
Default sound question

Hello!
The best way to quickly get answers to problems of this nature is to
search the Ubuntu Forums (Fora?) That's where I found this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=572066
Which contains a link to the *ways* in which you'll need to modify that file.

Here's how to edit a text file:

From a terminal:

>cd
this takes you to your home directory, where the .asoundrc file will
live- for other files use 'cd path-to-file'. When editing files
outside your home directory, you will usually need to use sudo. BE
CAREFUL!

>ls -l 'filename'
just to verify whether the file exists in that directory and whether
or not it is empty

>touch .asoundrc
remember to include the dot at the beginning; this leading dot makes
files 'hidden' in that they don't show up in a normal file listing
(use ls -a to see them)

>gedit .asoundrc
gedit is the regular text editor program for Ubuntu. If you are using
Kubuntu, use kate. For Xubuntu, use mousepad. These work from an
xterm, but if you are using a console terminal, you'll need a program
like joe (sigh, or vi or emacs, you know one of those "real" text
editors
When you exit, save the file. You're done.

From the desktop:

Places->Home Folder
right-click on Home Folder window
choose Create Document -> Empty File
right-click on new file
choose "Open With Text Editor"
edit file as shown in above link
save
You're done.

As far as I know you don't need to restart the sound server or anything.
If you do, you can just uncheck it in
System->Administration->Services, then go back and check the box
again.

I hope this is what you wanted. Good luck!



On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 5:05 AM, James Turland <jturland@bmts.com> wrote:
> hi;hope I'm posting this question in the right place.I would like to get
> the three jacks on the back of my computer to be used for 5.1 (6)speaker
> sound.At an alsa site I found some info about changing editing on my
> asounrdrc file.Being a newbie to ubuntu I don't know how .I have barely
> used the terminal because you ubunters have filled the synapses with
> everything I have needed so far.I would like a step by step guide to
> the editing if that is what you suggest I should do.thanks to the ubuntu
> comunity James
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-19-2009, 01:20 AM
James Turland
 
Default sound question

hi;hope I'm posting this question in the right place.I am new to ubuntu
and am quite impressed.My problem is I have a 5.1 speaker system that
worked fine on windows.The speakers are plugged into the three jacks at
the back.Is there some way or some script I can write to make them all
work.I saw something on an alsa site about changing my asoundrc file.
.Being a newbie to ubuntu I don't know how .I have barely
used the terminal because you ubunters have filled the synapses with
everything I have needed so far.I would like a step by step guide to
the editing if that is what you suggest I should do.thanks so much to
the ubuntu community James




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-19-2009, 01:33 AM
Chris Mohler
 
Default sound question

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 8:20 PM, James Turland <jturland@bmts.com> wrote:
> hi;hope I'm posting this question in the right place.I am new to ubuntu
> and am quite impressed.My problem is I have a 5.1 speaker system that
> worked fine on windows.The speakers are plugged into the three jacks at
> the back.Is there some way or some script I can write to make them all
> work.I saw something on an alsa site about changing my asoundrc file.
> .Being a newbie to ubuntu I don't know how .I have barely
> used the terminal because you ubunters have filled the synapses with
> everything I have needed so far.I would like a step by step guide to
> the editing if that is what you suggest I should do.thanks so much to
> the ubuntu community James

Hi James,

If you're using Gnome, there should be a volume control icon on the
right side of the top panel. Double-click it and then click
"Preferences". See if you have some unchecked channels that look like
playback channels - if so, check them, click "Close", then try the
sliders on the new channels.

Chris

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-19-2009, 02:23 AM
James Turland
 
Default sound question

On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 20:33 +0000, Chris Mohler wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 8:20 PM, James Turland <jturland@bmts.com> wrote:
> > hi;hope I'm posting this question in the right place.I am new to ubuntu
> > and am quite impressed.My problem is I have a 5.1 speaker system that
> > worked fine on windows.The speakers are plugged into the three jacks at
> > the back.Is there some way or some script I can write to make them all
> > work.I saw something on an alsa site about changing my asoundrc file.
> > .Being a newbie to ubuntu I don't know how .I have barely
> > used the terminal because you ubunters have filled the synapses with
> > everything I have needed so far.I would like a step by step guide to
> > the editing if that is what you suggest I should do.thanks so much to
> > the ubuntu community James
>
> Hi James,
>
> If you're using Gnome, there should be a volume control icon on the
> right side of the top panel. Double-click it and then click
> "Preferences". See if you have some unchecked channels that look like
> playback channels - if so, check them, click "Close", then try the
> sliders on the new channels.
>
> Chris
> thanks chris;I found and tried the playback switches.I still can only get stereo sound.When I was using HP there was a special program for coverting the mike and input jacks to be outputs.I think I have to trick the sound card into thinking all three jacks are outputs.Thanks james


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:29 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org