Old 02-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Liam Proven

Default + and - keys no longer zooming in Firefox

This is odd. A few days ago, the numeric keypad [+] and [-] keys
stopped working for text zoom in Firefox. I'm on 3.0.6 on Ubuntu 8.10,
all current, everything else working fine. No recent software changes.

Google finds nothing relevant but it's hard to search for + or - as
they are operators in Google searches...

AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven@aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven@hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven@yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508

Old 02-17-2009, 01:59 PM
David Tun

This is odd. A few days ago, the numeric keypad [+] and [-] keys

stopped working for text zoom in Firefox. I'm on 3.0.6 on Ubuntu 8.10,

all current, everything else working fine. No recent software changes.
I try CRTL + and CRTL - right now in my Firefox 3.0.6 and it is working. Have you tried using View ->Zoom options instead of the shortcut?

You can also try this key combination in another application like gnome terminal and see what happens.
--
Saludos / Regards

David Tuon
davidtf@gmail.com

Old 02-17-2009, 02:43 PM
Liam Proven

2009/2/17 David Tuñón <davidtf@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 14:34, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> This is odd. A few days ago, the numeric keypad [+] and [-] keys
>> stopped working for text zoom in Firefox. I'm on 3.0.6 on Ubuntu 8.10,
>> all current, everything else working fine. No recent software changes.
>
> I try CRTL + and CRTL - right now in my Firefox 3.0.6 and it is working.
> Have you tried using View ->Zoom options instead of the shortcut?

Yes, zooming still works, it is the shortcut keys that do not.

> You can also try this key combination in another application like gnome
> terminal and see what happens.

I don't know of any other apps I have that use Ctrl-[+]/[-] to zoom...
It doesn't do anything in GNOME terminal. (Well, actually, it prints
"other other"...)

(Experimenting)

Aha! It looks like my numeric keypad isn't typing characters at all...
OK, I shall try a reboot, a disconnect/reconnect & failing that,
another physical keyboard.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Rashkae

Liam Proven wrote:
> 2009/2/17 David Tun <davidtf@gmail.com>:
>> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 14:34, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> This is odd. A few days ago, the numeric keypad [+] and [-] keys
>>> stopped working for text zoom in Firefox. I'm on 3.0.6 on Ubuntu 8.10,
>>> all current, everything else working fine. No recent software changes.
>> I try CRTL + and CRTL - right now in my Firefox 3.0.6 and it is working.
>> Have you tried using View ->Zoom options instead of the shortcut?
>
> Yes, zooming still works, it is the shortcut keys that do not.
>
>> You can also try this key combination in another application like gnome
>> terminal and see what happens.
>
> I don't know of any other apps I have that use Ctrl-[+]/[-] to zoom...
> It doesn't do anything in GNOME terminal. (Well, actually, it prints
> "other other"...)
>
> (Experimenting)
>
> Aha! It looks like my numeric keypad isn't typing characters at all...
> OK, I shall try a reboot, a disconnect/reconnect & failing that,
> another physical keyboard.

This might be an absurd question,, but have you tried the Numlock Key?
Normally, numlock doesn't affect the + - and Enter keys, but I have seen
non-standard keyboards that re-purpose these when Numlock is not on.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Liam Proven

2009/2/17 Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com>:
> Liam Proven wrote:
>>> I try CRTL + and CRTL - right now in my Firefox 3.0.6 and it is working.
>>> Have you tried using View ->Zoom options instead of the shortcut?
>>
>> Yes, zooming still works, it is the shortcut keys that do not.
>>
>>> You can also try this key combination in another application like gnome
>>> terminal and see what happens.
>>
>> I don't know of any other apps I have that use Ctrl-[+]/[-] to zoom...
>> It doesn't do anything in GNOME terminal. (Well, actually, it prints
>> "other other"...)
>>
>> (Experimenting)
>>
>> Aha! It looks like my numeric keypad isn't typing characters at all...
>> OK, I shall try a reboot, a disconnect/reconnect & failing that,
>> another physical keyboard.
>>

> This might be an absurd question,, but have you tried the Numlock Key?
> Normally, numlock doesn't affect the + - and Enter keys, but I have seen
> non-standard keyboards that re-purpose these when Numlock is not on.

Yes, I have, and it's fair enough to ask! :¬)

It seems to make no difference if it's on or off. Neither editing mode
nor number mode is working.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Brian McKee

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/2/17 Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com>:
>> Liam Proven wrote:
>>> Yes, zooming still works, it is the shortcut keys that do not.
>>> (Experimenting)
>>>
>>> Aha! It looks like my numeric keypad isn't typing characters at all...
>>> OK, I shall try a reboot, a disconnect/reconnect & failing that,
>>> another physical keyboard.
>> This might be an absurd question,, but have you tried the Numlock Key?
>> Normally, numlock doesn't affect the + - and Enter keys, but I have seen
>> non-standard keyboards that re-purpose these when Numlock is not on.
> Yes, I have, and it's fair enough to ask! :)
> It seems to make no difference if it's on or off. Neither editing mode
> nor number mode is working.

Check out the accessibility options in preferences (not in front of me
at the second)
Something like 'use number pad to move mouse'

Note that some key combo I keep hitting while using VNC from a Mac
often turns it on...

Brian

Old 02-17-2009, 09:14 PM
NoOp

On 02/17/2009 08:56 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> 2009/2/17 Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com>:
>> Liam Proven wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, zooming still works, it is the shortcut keys that do not.

>>> I don't know of any other apps I have that use Ctrl-[+]/[-] to zoom...
>>> It doesn't do anything in GNOME terminal. (Well, actually, it prints
>>> "other other"...)
>>>
>>> (Experimenting)
>>>
>>> Aha! It looks like my numeric keypad isn't typing characters at all...
>>> OK, I shall try a reboot, a disconnect/reconnect & failing that,
>>> another physical keyboard.
>>>

>> This might be an absurd question,, but have you tried the Numlock Key?
>> Normally, numlock doesn't affect the + - and Enter keys, but I have seen
>> non-standard keyboards that re-purpose these when Numlock is not on.
>
> Yes, I have, and it's fair enough to ask! :)
>
> It seems to make no difference if it's on or off. Neither editing mode
> nor number mode is working.

By coincidence I was at my son's house this past weekend and was doing
some updates/housecleaning on their 8.04.2 system. I noticed that the
keyboard keypad wasn't working. I asked and they said "it stopped a few
days ago" & they thought that their 4 yr old had done something. So I
poked around & finally found out the problem;
System|Preferences|Keyboard|Mouse Keys| was checked. As soon as I
unchecked it, the numbers keypad worked just fine. Have a look on your
system to see if by some chance your's did the same.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:03 AM
Liam Proven

2009/2/17 Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com>:
> Check out the accessibility options in preferences (not in front of me
> at the second)
> Something like 'use number pad to move mouse'
>
> Note that some key combo I keep hitting while using VNC from a Mac
> often turns it on...
>
> Brian

Brian & NoOp, that is fantastic. That is exactly what it was. Thank-you both!

Old 02-18-2009, 01:23 AM
NoOp

On 02/17/2009 06:03 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
> 2009/2/17 Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com>:
>> Check out the accessibility options in preferences (not in front of me
>> at the second)
>> Something like 'use number pad to move mouse'
>>
>> Note that some key combo I keep hitting while using VNC from a Mac
>> often turns it on...
>>
>> Brian
>
> Brian & NoOp, that is fantastic. That is exactly what it was. Thank-you both!

Cool! I've found that it's been around for awhile (Brian have a look re
VNC):

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/192508
[mouse keys turns on randomly]

Old 02-18-2009, 07:15 PM
Brian McKee

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 9:23 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 02/17/2009 06:03 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
>> 2009/2/17 Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com>:
>>> Check out the accessibility options in preferences (not in front of me
>>> at the second)
>>> Something like 'use number pad to move mouse'
>>>
>>> Note that some key combo I keep hitting while using VNC from a Mac
>>> often turns it on...
>>
>> Brian & NoOp, that is fantastic. That is exactly what it was. Thank-you both!
>>

> Cool! I've found that it's been around for awhile (Brian have a look re
> VNC):
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/192508
> [mouse keys turns on randomly]

I'll be durned - never would have thought it was an existing bug - I
thought it was just my fat fingers doing something silly. That
Shift-Numlock combo to 'fix' it is handy though - I've messed up the
number pad on several users machines and since they don't have easy
access to keyboard preferences (by design) they've got no easy way to
fix it.

Thanks NoOp!

Brian