Old 12-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Willis

Default Kubuntu and USB to DSL Modem

I have a 2Wire DSL connection and my wife is on a hpna connector through
the phone line and my Ubuntu unit is connected to the modem through the
only RJ-46 connector and my windows/Kubuntu unit is connected via the
USB connection. My problem is that I am not hooked up to the network on
the kubuntu through the USB. If I boot in the XP it all works
beautifully. #What must I do to solve my problem and use the Kubuntu
via the USB connection or is it even possible?

Old 12-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Nils Kassube

Willis wrote:
> I have a 2Wire DSL connection and my wife is on a hpna connector
> through the phone line and my Ubuntu unit is connected to the modem
> through the only RJ-46 connector and my windows/Kubuntu unit is
> connected via the USB connection. My problem is that I am not hooked
> up to the network on the kubuntu through the USB. If I boot in the XP
> it all works beautifully. #What must I do to solve my problem and use
> the Kubuntu via the USB connection or is it even possible?

Can you provide some more info? What is the modem type you have connected
via USB? Maybe the output of the command "lsusb -v" (without qoutes)
could help to identify the modem and find a solution.

Nils

Old 12-29-2007, 08:09 PM
David Vincent

Willis wrote:
> I have a 2Wire DSL connection and my wife is on a hpna connector through
> the phone line and my Ubuntu unit is connected to the modem through the
> only RJ-46 connector and my windows/Kubuntu unit is connected via the
> USB connection. My problem is that I am not hooked up to the network on
> the kubuntu through the USB. If I boot in the XP it all works
> beautifully. #What must I do to solve my problem and use the Kubuntu
> via the USB connection or is it even possible?

sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules ?

does ubuntu see your usb device?

lsusb
ifconfig
iwconfig

what do those return?

-d

Old 12-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Willis

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Willis wrote:
>
>> I have a 2Wire DSL connection and my wife is on a hpna connector
>> through the phone line and my Ubuntu unit is connected to the modem
>> through the only RJ-46 connector and my windows/Kubuntu unit is
>> connected via the USB connection. My problem is that I am not hooked
>> up to the network on the kubuntu through the USB. If I boot in the XP
>> it all works beautifully. #What must I do to solve my problem and use
>> the Kubuntu via the USB connection or is it even possible?
>>

> Can you provide some more info? What is the modem type you have connected
> via USB? Maybe the output of the command "lsusb -v" (without qoutes)
> could help to identify the modem and find a solution.
>

> Nils

I typed the command and recieved a seventeen page readout that I cannot
move from the other computer to this one because it is not connecting to
the network. The modem is an ADSL 1000 series from 2Wire, if that helps.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Willis

David Vincent wrote:
> Willis wrote:
>
>> I have a 2Wire DSL connection and my wife is on a hpna connector through
>> the phone line and my Ubuntu unit is connected to the modem through the
>> only RJ-46 connector and my windows/Kubuntu unit is connected via the
>> USB connection. My problem is that I am not hooked up to the network on
>> the kubuntu through the USB. If I boot in the XP it all works
>> beautifully. #What must I do to solve my problem and use the Kubuntu
>> via the USB connection or is it even possible?
>>

> sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules ?
>
> does ubuntu see your usb device?
>
> lsusb
> ifconfig
> iwconfig
>
> what do those return?
>
> -d

I'm sorry, the Ubuntu machine, computer #2 is connected to the ADSL
modem via the NIC. Computer #1 is connected via the USB and works great
in the WindowsXP but I'm moving away from MS software.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:43 PM
Nils Kassube

Willis wrote:
> I typed the command and recieved a seventeen page readout that I cannot
> move from the other computer to this one because it is not connecting
> to the network.

OK, then it's really a bit difficult.

> The modem is an ADSL 1000 series from 2Wire, if that
> helps.

Sorry, no. But another question: When you are working with Windows, can
you connect those 2 computers to the modem simultaneously? If that is
possible, the USB connection should be a network interface. The USB ID
alone might help to find some info about the interface. You can see the
USB ID from the command lsusb (without -v), it looks like "1234:4578".

Nils

Old 12-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Willis

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Willis wrote:
>
>> I typed the command and recieved a seventeen page readout that I cannot
>> move from the other computer to this one because it is not connecting
>> to the network.
>>

> OK, then it's really a bit difficult.
>

>> The modem is an ADSL 1000 series from 2Wire, if that
>> helps.
>>

> Sorry, no. But another question: When you are working with Windows, can
> you connect those 2 computers to the modem simultaneously? If that is
> possible, the USB connection should be a network interface. The USB ID
> alone might help to find some info about the interface. You can see the
> USB ID from the command lsusb (without -v), it looks like "1234:4578".
>

> Nils

All three computers will connect to the internet or the intranet at the
same time if I'm running the Windows on the #1 unit. While running
Kubuntu on that unit both of the others are on line at this very
moment. The 2Wire modem is a ppoe device.

The output for lsusb reads;

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04a9:10b6 canon, Inc.
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 045e:00db Microsoft Corp.
Bus 002 Device 006: ID 047d:1022 Kensington
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 06a3:0471 Saitek PLC
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 1630:0042
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 03eb:3301 Atmel Corp. at43301 4-port Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05da:30d9 Microtek International, Inc.
bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

I have not expressed my appreciation yet but thank you very much.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:57 PM
David Vincent

Willis wrote:

> my windows/Kubuntu unit is connected via the
> USB connection.

> My problem is that I am not hooked up to the network on
> the kubuntu through the USB.

> What must I do to solve my problem and use the Kubuntu
> via the USB connection or is it even possible?

I thought this was your problem?

>> sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules ?
>>
>> does ubuntu see your usb device?
>>
>> lsusb
>> ifconfig
>> iwconfig
>>
>> what do those return?

> I'm sorry, the Ubuntu machine, computer #2 is connected to the ADSL
> modem via the NIC. Computer #1 is connected via the USB and works great
> in the WindowsXP but I'm moving away from MS software.

Kubuntu is installed on the harddrive and you're not booting from LiveCD
are you?

Ok, I saw your reply to Nils with the output from lsusb, now try
ifconfig and iwconfig. Do you see ath0 or wifi0 or anything like that?
Now run the other command I sent, it will install some drivers (and
hopefully ask for the cd to do it since you don't have Internet atm)
which may make the USB device work so reboot and try it all again. Then
report back for more help!

-d

Old 12-30-2007, 12:32 AM
Willis

David Vincent wrote:
> Willis wrote:
>
> > my windows/Kubuntu unit is connected via the
> > USB connection.
>

>> My problem is that I am not hooked up to the network on
>> the kubuntu through the USB.
>>

>> What must I do to solve my problem and use the Kubuntu
>> via the USB connection or is it even possible?
>>

> I thought this was your problem?
>

>>> sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules ?
>>>
>>> does ubuntu see your usb device?
>>>
>>> lsusb
>>> ifconfig
>>> iwconfig
>>>
>>> what do those return?
>>>

>> I'm sorry, the Ubuntu machine, computer #2 is connected to the ADSL
>> modem via the NIC. Computer #1 is connected via the USB and works great
>> in the WindowsXP but I'm moving away from MS software.
>>

> Kubuntu is installed on the harddrive and you're not booting from LiveCD
> are you?
>
> Ok, I saw your reply to Nils with the output from lsusb, now try
> ifconfig and iwconfig. Do you see ath0 or wifi0 or anything like that?
> Now run the other command I sent, it will install some drivers (and
> hopefully ask for the cd to do it since you don't have Internet atm)
> which may make the USB device work so reboot and try it all again. Then
> report back for more help!
>
> -d

I ran the if and iwconfigs and did not find either of the suggested
possibilities. As for another command, I do not understand.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:01 AM
David Vincent

Willis wrote:
> I ran the if and iwconfigs and did not find either of the suggested
> possibilities. As for another command, I do not understand.

ah, sorry. this one: