Old 12-30-2007, 01:33 AM
Willis

Default Kubuntu and USB to DSL Modem

David Vincent wrote:
> Willis wrote:
>
>> I ran the if and iwconfigs and did not find either of the suggested
>> possibilities. As for another command, I do not understand.
>>

> ah, sorry. this one:
>
> sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules
>
> -d

It came back with "couldn't find package linux-restricted." Doesn't it
need to be connected to the modem to perform this action?

Old 12-30-2007, 03:18 AM
NoOp

On 12/29/2007 11:33 AM, Willis wrote:
> I have a 2Wire DSL connection and my wife is on a hpna connector through
> the phone line and my Ubuntu unit is connected to the modem through the
> only RJ-46 connector and my windows/Kubuntu unit is connected via the
> USB connection. My problem is that I am not hooked up to the network on
> the kubuntu through the USB. If I boot in the XP it all works
> beautifully. #What must I do to solve my problem and use the Kubuntu
> via the USB connection or is it even possible?

My "guess" is that you have the homeportal sofware installed on your XP.

<http://support.2wire.com/cgi-bin/twowire.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=eronlS9h&p_lva=&p_sp=&p_li=>

<http://support.2wire.com/cgi-bin/twowire.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1247&p_created=1041883571&p_si d=ayolqtUi&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnB fZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0yMTImcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jY XRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topvie w=1>

There are several 2Wire models - which one do you have?

I'd recommend connecting the windows/kubuntu via the RJ45 ethernet
connection, and if you want to add more ports buy a small 4-5 port
ethernet hub.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:16 AM
Nils Kassube

Willis wrote:
> The 2Wire modem is a ppoe device.

For a pppoe device, usually the program pppoeconf should do the job. But I
don't know if it will find your device on the USB port. Anyway, it is
worth a try.

> Bus 002 Device 004: ID 1630:0042

This seems to be your DSL modem. However, Google doesn't know about Linux
support for it - that doesn't look good.

> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 03eb:3301 Atmel Corp. at43301 4-port Hub

If you have the DSL modem connected via the hub, try to change your
connections in a way that the modem is connected directly to the
computer. I had a problem with a webcam which wouldn't work when
connected via a hub, but it worked flawlessly when connected directly.

Another option: I don't know if the program ndiswrapper supports other
things than WLAN cards, but if it does, you could tray to make your modem
work with ndiswrapper and with the Windows driver.

Other than those options mentioned above, you could connect the RJ45-port
of the modem to a switch and connect all computers to the switch.

Nils

Old 12-30-2007, 03:04 PM
David Vincent

Willis wrote:
> David Vincent wrote:
>> Willis wrote:
>>
>>> I ran the if and iwconfigs and did not find either of the suggested
>>> possibilities. As for another command, I do not understand.
>>>
>> ah, sorry. this one:
>>
>> sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules
>>
>> -d
>>

> It came back with "couldn't find package linux-restricted." Doesn't it
> need to be connected to the modem to perform this action?

Ubuntu should be able find and install it off the cd you installed from.
Did you remove the cd from your repository list after install? (do
you know what I mean by that?) How important is it to you to have
wireless on here? This may not be worth the bother to you.

The other suggestions that you purchase a hub/switch and hardwire this
machine will get you the best connection possible with the least
frustration. (got $20-$40 and some cable?)

-d