Old 02-17-2009, 07:41 AM
Matthias Andersson

Default How to clean up mess after ATI Catalyst Control Center and Gnome Screen resolution tool?

Old 02-17-2009, 05:31 PM
NoOp

On 02/17/2009 12:41 AM, Matthias Andersson wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have the following problem. I wanted to try hooking up the tv and
> see if I could get it to work in linux as well as in windows but then
> I made a huge mistake, after setting up the resolution using ATI
> Catalyst Control Center I then out of old habit set the resolution
> using System-Preferences-Screen Resolution.
>
> This rendered the screen black and now the fglrx-driver refuses to
> work. I get the error on startup "Screens found but none have a usable
> configuration..."
>
> How do I clean up this mess and get fglrx working again? I've tried
> re-installing fglrx and related packages but to no avail. At startup
> I'm forced to choose "Run x in low-graphics mode"

Boot using the recovery mode; select the xfix option, then continue to
normal boot.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:40 PM
"H.S."

NoOp wrote:
> On 02/17/2009 12:41 AM, Matthias Andersson wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have the following problem. I wanted to try hooking up the tv and
>> see if I could get it to work in linux as well as in windows but then
>> I made a huge mistake, after setting up the resolution using ATI
>> Catalyst Control Center I then out of old habit set the resolution
>> using System-Preferences-Screen Resolution.
>>
>> This rendered the screen black and now the fglrx-driver refuses to
>> work. I get the error on startup "Screens found but none have a usable
>> configuration..."
>>
>> How do I clean up this mess and get fglrx working again? I've tried
>> re-installing fglrx and related packages but to no avail. At startup
>> I'm forced to choose "Run x in low-graphics mode"
>
> Boot using the recovery mode; select the xfix option, then continue to
> normal boot.

Would this work too?
1. Boot normally (but you will not get the login screen)
2. Pres CTRL+F1 to get the terminal.
3. Login using your admin account username and password.
4. Move xorg.conf out of the way using:
$> sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_bakcup
5. Restart gdm using:
$> sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

One should then get the login screen back. Not sure if this method still
works though, in case Ubuntu has done something new and doesn't deal
with xorg.conf anymore.

If thing do not work out, go back to the terminal (CTRL+F1) and move the
xorg file back:
$> sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf_bakcup /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and restart gdm as above.

ever having been read.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:35 PM
NoOp

On 02/17/2009 10:40 AM, H.S. wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 02/17/2009 12:41 AM, Matthias Andersson wrote:

>>> I have the following problem. I wanted to try hooking up the tv and
>>> see if I could get it to work in linux as well as in windows but then
>>> I made a huge mistake, after setting up the resolution using ATI
>>> Catalyst Control Center I then out of old habit set the resolution
>>> using System-Preferences-Screen Resolution.
>>>
>>> This rendered the screen black and now the fglrx-driver refuses to
>>> work. I get the error on startup "Screens found but none have a usable
>>> configuration..."
>>>
>>> How do I clean up this mess and get fglrx working again? I've tried
>>> re-installing fglrx and related packages but to no avail. At startup
>>> I'm forced to choose "Run x in low-graphics mode"
>>
>> Boot using the recovery mode; select the xfix option, then continue to
>> normal boot.
>>

> Would this work too?
> 1. Boot normally (but you will not get the login screen)
> 2. Pres CTRL+F1 to get the terminal.
CTRL-ALT-F1
> 3. Login using your admin account username and password.
> 4. Move xorg.conf out of the way using:
> $> sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_bakcup
Note: I think to 'move' xorg.conf out of the way, you'd need to use 'mv'
instead of 'cp':
sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_bakcup
> 5. Restart gdm using:
> $> sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
>
> One should then get the login screen back. Not sure if this method still
> works though, in case Ubuntu has done something new and doesn't deal
> with xorg.conf anymore.
>
> If thing do not work out, go back to the terminal (CTRL+F1) and move the
> xorg file back:
> $> sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf_bakcup /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> and restart gdm as above.

That might be a way do do it. But there seems to be some 'magic' in the
new xserver/xorg that I don't fully understand (or ever will?), so I'd
just do xfix. It does create a backup of the previous xorg.conf and
renames it by date - example xorg.conf to xorg.conf.20090217142819. You
can however run it from a terminal:

sudo /usr/share/recovery-mode/options/xfix

it's a shell that basically runs 'dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg':

====
$ cat /usr/share/recovery-mode/options/xfix
#!/bin/sh

if [ "$1" = "test" ]; then
echo "Try to fix X server"
exit 0
fi

whiptail --infobox "The X server reconfiguration is now running. Your
screen may flicker during hardware autodetection." 8 60

sleep 3

Old 02-17-2009, 09:47 PM
"H.S."

NoOp wrote:
> On 02/17/2009 10:40 AM, H.S. wrote:

>> Would this work too?
>> 1. Boot normally (but you will not get the login screen)
>> 2. Pres CTRL+F1 to get the terminal.
> CTRL-ALT-F1

Yes. Sorry, my bad.

>> 3. Login using your admin account username and password.
>> 4. Move xorg.conf out of the way using:
>> $> sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_bakcup
> Note: I think to 'move' xorg.conf out of the way, you'd need to use 'mv'

No, I didn't mean the 'move' in that sense. The purpose was to make gdm
not find it yet keep a backup as a precaution.

> instead of 'cp':
> sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_bakcup
>> 5. Restart gdm using:
>> $> sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
>>
>> One should then get the login screen back. Not sure if this method still
>> works though, in case Ubuntu has done something new and doesn't deal
>> with xorg.conf anymore.
>>
>> If thing do not work out, go back to the terminal (CTRL+F1) and move the
>> xorg file back:
>> $> sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf_bakcup /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>>
>> and restart gdm as above.
>>

> That might be a way do do it. But there seems to be some 'magic' in the
> new xserver/xorg that I don't fully understand (or ever will?), so I'd

Aha! Something is going on there I think. I had a suspicion that Ubuntu
was up to some tricks in this regard but I don't know what.

> just do xfix. It does create a backup of the previous xorg.conf and
> renames it by date - example xorg.conf to xorg.conf.20090217142819. You
> can however run it from a terminal:
>
> sudo /usr/share/recovery-mode/options/xfix

Wonderful. Better than having to use a LiveCD, which sometimes can be
confusing to use in special circumstances by novices.

ever having been read.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Matthias Andersson

Old 02-18-2009, 04:16 PM
NoOp

Old 02-18-2009, 06:34 PM
NoOp

On 02/18/2009 10:48 AM, Matthias Andersson wrote:

> > Hold on, let's take this one step at a time: you ask how to clean up
>> after ACCC, did the instructions provided give you back a working desktop?
>>

> I must had missed when I wrote that message - I had to copy
> /etc/ati/amdpcsdb to /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.default and now I got a working
> compiz desktop with the proprietary driver.
>
> But let me act as an example - either I use ACCC OR
> system-preferences-screen-resolution, using them both will hose the
> system. That should be underscored in the documentation. =)

You might want to check here to see if you can find a related bug. If
so, add to it. If not file a new one:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fglrx-installer/+bugs
refs:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/fglrx-amdcccle