Old 02-17-2009, 01:21 AM
scott

Default WEP on wireless

I just got my old wireless -B card working and was wondering what
exactly I need to edit to get my WEP key working. I know WEP is next to
useless but at least it isn't wide open. Plus it's the only encryption
this card supports.

So until I get a new card, anyone know how to accomplish this? The card
is an old lynksys wpc11 ver.4. I'm also using wicd on 8.10. Gnome desktop.

Thanks in advance, Scott

Old 02-17-2009, 04:55 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

> I just got my old wireless -B card working and was wondering
> what
> exactly I need to edit to get my WEP key working. I know
> WEP is next to
> useless but at least it isn't wide open. Plus it's
> the only encryption
> this card supports.
>
> So until I get a new card, anyone know how to accomplish
> this? The card
> is an old lynksys wpc11 ver.4. I'm also using wicd on
> 8.10. Gnome desktop.
>
> Thanks in advance, Scott

My WEP key is for my wifi router/modem. I don't have a key for my WMP54GT card. In any case, you can add the WEP key to wicd assuming you know what the key is. If your wifi card is truly working and it's not working off a direct wired NIC, opening up wicd should show the wifi connection and a place to add the key. Be sure to choose the right WEP encryption.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-17-2009, 05:31 AM
scott

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> [...]
When I open Wicd, all I get is available wireless spots, nowhere to
enter a WEP key, anywhere. And, again, I know it is probably not much
better then using MAC filters, I just want to know how to get WEP
working on my laptop. My WEP key is as strong as you can get...symbols,
numbers and one letter. It is still WEP, though.

I just want to know what file needs editing, and how I add a key
strength and length,...etc,to get it working.

In other words, in what config file do I make changes. I have been using
Ubuntu since BB, just not with an old wireless card on this laptop.

Thanks again, Scott

PS: I have the card actually working. I'm using MAC filters now and
would very much like to get, at least,WEP going.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:40 AM
scott

scott wrote:
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

Sorry if that sounded rude. I'm using ndiswrapper for this card. I can't
find any other way to use this card. Knowing that, Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks, Scott

Old 02-17-2009, 06:39 AM
Nils Kassube

scott wrote:
> When I open Wicd, all I get is available wireless spots, nowhere to
> enter a WEP key, anywhere.

If you open wicd and you see the list of available networks, there is a
tiny triangle to the left of the network name. Click on that triangle and
you can see some more info settings options about that network. Click the
button "extended settings" (or similar - Wicd refuses to speak English on
my machine). There you can select the encryption type and enter the key.

> And, again, I know it is probably not much
> better then using MAC filters, I just want to know how to get WEP
> working on my laptop. My WEP key is as strong as you can get...symbols,
> numbers and one letter. It is still WEP, though.

"WEP" and "strong key" is a bit contradictory

> In other words, in what config file do I make changes.

Sorry, I don't know about config files for Wicd. But if you only want to
use wireless with this particular setting you could uninstall Wicd and
use the settings in /etc/network/interfaces instead - if you really want
to edit config files.

Nils

Old 02-17-2009, 07:43 AM
scott

Nils Kassube wrote:
> scott wrote:
>> When I open Wicd, all I get is available wireless spots, nowhere to
>> enter a WEP key, anywhere.
>
> If you open wicd and you see the list of available networks, there is a
> tiny triangle to the left of the network name. Click on that triangle and
> you can see some more info settings options about that network. Click the
> button "extended settings" (or similar - Wicd refuses to speak English on
> my machine). There you can select the encryption type and enter the key.
>

>> And, again, I know it is probably not much
>> better then using MAC filters, I just want to know how to get WEP
>> working on my laptop. My WEP key is as strong as you can get...symbols,
>> numbers and one letter. It is still WEP, though.
>
> "WEP" and "strong key" is a bit contradictory
>
>> In other words, in what config file do I make changes.
>
> Sorry, I don't know about config files for Wicd. But if you only want to
> use wireless with this particular setting you could uninstall Wicd and
> use the settings in /etc/network/interfaces instead - if you really want
> to edit config files.
>

> Nils

Thanks for your reply Nils, although I can't see Wicd only supporting
un-editable files.
There must be, besides the driver files under Wicd, some method that
supports , at least, WEP.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:49 PM
NoOp

On 02/17/2009 12:43 AM, scott wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
>> scott wrote:
>>> When I open Wicd, all I get is available wireless spots, nowhere to
>>> enter a WEP key, anywhere.
>>
>> If you open wicd and you see the list of available networks, there is a
>> tiny triangle to the left of the network name. Click on that triangle and
>> you can see some more info settings options about that network. Click the
>> button "extended settings" (or similar - Wicd refuses to speak English on
>> my machine). There you can select the encryption type and enter the key.
>>

>>> And, again, I know it is probably not much
>>> better then using MAC filters, I just want to know how to get WEP
>>> working on my laptop. My WEP key is as strong as you can get...symbols,
>>> numbers and one letter. It is still WEP, though.
>>
>> "WEP" and "strong key" is a bit contradictory
>>
>>> In other words, in what config file do I make changes.
>>
>> Sorry, I don't know about config files for Wicd. But if you only want to
>> use wireless with this particular setting you could uninstall Wicd and
>> use the settings in /etc/network/interfaces instead - if you really want
>> to edit config files.
>>

>> Nils
>>
> Thanks for your reply Nils, although I can't see Wicd only supporting
> un-editable files.
> There must be, besides the driver files under Wicd, some method that
> supports , at least, WEP.

He just told you how; click the right triangle next to the network name
that you wish to connect to, select Advanced Settings, click 'Use
Encryption', select WEP (Hex, Passphrase, or Shared/Restricted), enter
the key & click OK. http://wicd.sourceforge.net/screenshot.php

If you want to edit wicd files:
http://wicd.sourceforge.net/
http://wicd.sourceforge.net/templates.php