Old 12-29-2007, 05:26 PM
anthony baldwin

Default request for addition to repos - - how to make request?

I can't find anywhere on the ubuntu forums or sites where I can
make a request for pkg(s) to be included in our repos.
I've already mentioned the livecd distro that I made for
translators on the list a couple of times, and, that it is
based on PCLOS.
I would much rather make it based on ubuntu, but,
I would need, at the very least, for Omega T to be included in our
repos (PCLOS has it).
I would also dearly love to see Kompozer (mozilla composer based html
editor,
but separate from the entire moz-suite)
included in our repos.
Also the mkremaster command in PCLOS makes the construction of
a livecd about as easy as falling of a log.
I'm not the most technical person, and, even despite 8 years using Linux,
would not consider myself anything like an expert, but I successfully
created a working livecd without breaking a sweat, using said tool.

I know that any of the above items can be added manually, but, I want to
create a user-friendly, easily maintained system for translators, which,
for me, means that ubuntu would be the best base (nothing against pclos),
but, I want only to include pkgs that are in the repos and, thus, easily
maintained, updated, etc.
The program Omega T, however, is an absolute MUST for said system,
and I would like to include the very simple html editor, Kompozer.
Quanta is nice, but, I really dig the simplicity of kompozer.

How do I request such a thing (repo inclusion of OmegaT, Kompozer) ?

--
http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
Translation & Interpreting

Old 12-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Vincent Trouilliez

> I can't find anywhere on the ubuntu forums or sites where I can
> make a request for pkg(s) to be included in our repos.

It's all there, explained in the Ubuntu wiki ;-)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/NewPackages

--
Vince

Old 12-29-2007, 06:05 PM
anthony baldwin

Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
>> I can't find anywhere on the ubuntu forums or sites where I can
>> make a request for pkg(s) to be included in our repos.
>>

> It's all there, explained in the Ubuntu wiki ;-)
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/NewPackages
>

> --
> Vince

Thanks, Vince.

/tony

Old 12-29-2007, 06:38 PM
Thilo Six

anthony baldwin wrote the following on 29.12.2007 19:26

> I can't find anywhere on the ubuntu forums or sites where I can
> make a request for pkg(s) to be included in our repos.
> I've already mentioned the livecd distro that I made for
> translators on the list a couple of times, and, that it is
> based on PCLOS.
> I would much rather make it based on ubuntu, but,
> I would need, at the very least, for Omega T to be included in our
> repos (PCLOS has it).

not sure about omega:

$ aptitude search Omega
p | 1:0.90-pa9-13 | 323kB | 0 | omega-rpg
v | <none> | | 0 | r-omegahat-ggobi
p | 2007-12ubuntu3.1 | 2665kB | 0 | texlive-omega
p | 1.0.2-1 | 260kB | 0 | xapian-omega

> I would also dearly love to see Kompozer (mozilla composer based html
> editor,

$ aptitude search Kompozer
p | 0.7.10-0ubuntu1 | 8715kB | 0 | kompozer

http://uck.sourceforge.net/

> I'm not the most technical person, and, even despite 8 years using Linux,
> would not consider myself anything like an expert, but I successfully
> created a working livecd without breaking a sweat, using said tool.
>
> I know that any of the above items can be added manually, but, I want to
> create a user-friendly, easily maintained system for translators, which,
> for me, means that ubuntu would be the best base (nothing against pclos),
> but, I want only to include pkgs that are in the repos and, thus, easily
> maintained, updated, etc.
> The program Omega T, however, is an absolute MUST for said system,
> and I would like to include the very simple html editor, Kompozer.
> Quanta is nice, but, I really dig the simplicity of kompozer.
>
> How do I request such a thing (repo inclusion of OmegaT, Kompozer) ?

--
bye Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 12-29-2007, 09:51 PM
anthony baldwin

No, OmegaT (http://www.omegat.org) is not in there.

> not sure about omega:
>
> $ aptitude search Omega
> p | 1:0.90-pa9-13 | 323kB | 0 | omega-rpg
> v | <none> | | 0 | r-omegahat-ggobi
> p | 2007-12ubuntu3.1 | 2665kB | 0 | texlive-omega
> p | 1.0.2-1 | 260kB | 0 | xapian-omega
>

>> I would also dearly love to see Kompozer (mozilla composer based html
>> editor,
>>

> $ aptitude search Kompozer
> p | 0.7.10-0ubuntu1 | 8715kB | 0 | kompozer

Ah well, that doesn't help me, since I am using Dapper, and
want to base my livecd translator distro only on LTS releases.
I'm trying to make something easy for non-techie folks, and I believe
that LTS releases are the best bet.
I've been using linux for 8 years, and I basically stick with LTS releases.
I do have gusty on a partition here, but, I do all of my work on my
dapper partition.

>> but separate from the entire moz-suite)
>> included in our repos.
>> Also the mkremaster command in PCLOS makes the construction of
>> a livecd about as easy as falling of a log.
>>

> http://uck.sourceforge.net/

I looked at that, and from what I can tell, it's for
making a language specific cd. It didn't look like it
enabled further customization. I will have to look again.
Also, it's not in the repo...
If our developers are using tools like this to build ubuntu, why don't
they make them available to us users?
That would make sense.
I saw another tool called reconstructor (also not in the repos)
that would do what I want, but when I tried to install it, I ran
into an unment dependency, for a library that also was not in the repos.

Ubuntu is my favorite, but I build what I've made so far on PCFluxboxOS,
(http://wwww.baldwinlinguas.com/linguasos.html),
because it was so easy, a child could do it...
In fact, my 8 year old rolled her after seeing me do it, to take to
her 3rd grade science fair.
(http://www.baldwinlinguas.com/rhifluxos/rhifluxos.html)

Of course, I might just have to learn some more stuff...
Learn don't hurt nothing', and sometimes it's fun.
Linux is fun.

Thanks for your attention.

/tony

Old 12-29-2007, 10:19 PM
Wulfy

anthony baldwin wrote:
> How do I request such a thing (repo inclusion of OmegaT, Kompozer) ?

There's already a "needs-packaging" for Omega T:

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/179263>

As for Kompozer:

wulfy@localhost:~$ apt-cache policy kompozer
kompozer:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 0.7.10-0ubuntu1
Version table:
0.7.10-0ubuntu1 0
500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com gutsy/universe Packages

It's in the universe repository... :@)

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:

Old 12-30-2007, 01:56 PM
anthony baldwin

Wulfy wrote:
> anthony baldwin wrote:
>
>> How do I request such a thing (repo inclusion of OmegaT, Kompozer) ?
>>

> There's already a "needs-packaging" for Omega T:
>
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/179263>

That was me (tonytraductor).
I submitted it yesterday after vince pointed me in the right direction.

> As for Kompozer:
>
> wulfy@localhost:~$ apt-cache policy kompozer
> kompozer:
> Installed: (none)
> Candidate: 0.7.10-0ubuntu1
> Version table:
> 0.7.10-0ubuntu1 0
> 500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com gutsy/universe Packages
>
> It's in the universe repository... :@)

It's in the gusty repos.
It's not in Dapper, though.
I'm trying to build something user-friendly for non-techified
newbies to use, and want to stick with LTS release material.

thanks for your attention

/tony
(aka tonytraductor)

Old 12-30-2007, 02:21 PM
Thilo Six

anthony baldwin wrote the following on 29.12.2007 23:51

</snip>

> Thanks for your attention.
>
> /tony

i just wanted to prevent you from doing unneccary work to save you time.
Sadly it didnīt help you though.

--
bye Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 12-30-2007, 03:21 PM
anthony baldwin

Thilo Six wrote:
> anthony baldwin wrote the following on 29.12.2007 23:51
>
> </snip>
>

>> Thanks for your attention.
>>
>> /tony
>>

> i just wanted to prevent you from doing unneccary work to save you time.
> Sadly it didnīt help you though.

Oh no, I didn't make any redundant request.
I checked for OmegaT before making the request that I made.
I assume since Kompozer is in the gusty repos, it's
probably a moot point for me to request it for dapper, at this poin.
My guess is it will appear in the next LTS release, which is due shortly,
no? Hardy Heron or something, I think, is due beginning of 08, isn't it?

And either way,
any and all attempts at assistance are always appreciated (a*9).
Even redundant or erroneous attempts are always better than being ignored
on a list, imho.

/tony

Old 12-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Wulfy

anthony baldwin wrote:

Wulfy wrote:

anthony baldwin wrote:

How do I request such a thing (repo inclusion of OmegaT, Kompozer) ?

There's already a "needs-packaging" for Omega T:

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/179263>

That was me (tonytraductor).
I submitted it yesterday after vince pointed me in the right direction.

Ah.* Sorry didn't realise that was you.

As for Kompozer:

wulfy@localhost:~$ apt-cache policy kompozer
kompozer:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 0.7.10-0ubuntu1
Version table:
0.7.10-0ubuntu1 0
500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com gutsy/universe Packages

It's in the universe repository... :@)

It's in the gusty repos.
It's not in Dapper, though.
I'm trying to build something user-friendly for non-techified
newbies to use, and want to stick with LTS release material.

I doubt it would be (officially) packaged for Dapper now.* After all,
Hardy Heron will be out in a few months and that will be an LTS
release.* Perhaps the best thing to do is wait a little while* and go
with Hardy.

thanks for your attention

/tony
(aka tonytraductor)